Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25

Author Topic: The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]  (Read 48030 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: Of Knights and Days. [community]
« Reply #285 on: January 31, 2010, 12:56:59 am »

Hurrah, I was useful! (Till I fell in the lava. What a clutz.)

I'm sure I'll continue to serve the great Mightygrips!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 31, 2010, 01:35:19 am »

Uploaded the current map to the DMFA.

W00t!!! Boss kill!! Can I keep the axe?

Nah, you've put in too much work on swordplay thus far. I think it got melted, actually. We have a lot lot lot of iron.

How do you deal with the spiders' silk?
Do you just charge them with your men and hope they extricate themselves in time? Or do they not shoot silk while mounted?
Or perhaps, looking at the screen shots, they don't use silk at all?
I'm guessing he turned off the wolf spiders' ability to web, as he mentioned earlier.

Yeah, I gave zerg rushing them a few tries back when there was only one mounted squad attacking. Webs are far too overpowered to give to a mounted enemy en masse. Basically, one spider will web the entire military in one shot before they can get close, and then my fighters are torn to shreds by the entire enemy force (while getting repeatedly webbed over and over). The only time rushing ever worked was when there was only one enemy spider, and a few soldiers still died. I guess the idea is to just use ranged defense, but honestly, that's no fun at all. Plus after a battle there's thousands of cancelled job spam due to pathing straight into the web.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 31, 2010, 03:26:47 am »

I suppose that the bottom of the magma tower shall, in the absence of dungeons, suffice for my quarters. Barely...

Also: awesome story. It kept me up till 0:30 RE-reading it. So yeah.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 31, 2010, 11:03:31 am »

I'm curious if personalities evolve over time. Can I see Sadok's personality sheet again?
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 31, 2010, 11:50:32 am »

The only trait that changes is the "Doesn't really care about anything anymore." It's given to people who see lots of death. There are varying levels of that, but as far as I know, that's the only trait that ever changes.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 31, 2010, 08:07:36 pm »

Seeing as Mightygrips is a castle, shouldn't there be a dungeon?
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 02, 2010, 06:56:01 pm »

Blah. Hungry for updates.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 02, 2010, 10:23:54 pm »

'Sir Grath', Knight, mandates updates (100)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 03, 2010, 02:48:24 pm »

Sorry guys, I'm a bit busy right now. Just submitted my judge's scorecard for DFM2 (which, incidentally, I suggest you go offer to judge for - they're looking for people, and it's a good way to learn more about the game through seeing others' playstyles (ed- plus Solifuge is generously offering to donate $5 to Toady per scorecard)) and handed in two giant essays, and as we speak I have my megaproject fort running in the background at a solid 0FPS (an in-game day takes two hours, and is slowly approaching real-time speed) while I'm typing up the beginnings of the next update. I'mma busy fella. I'll try and get the update up tonight, but I'm heading out within the hour, so no guarantees on being able to finish it by the time I get back. I'll respond to posts with the update, I think; got a lot to do right now. Good to see the interest's still there, though!

-ed: Sigh. Computer crashed horrifically, and I lost the update (which was a few paragraphs away from finality) despite saving obsessively. I guess it's not really safe to run the megaproject fort at the same time as I have anything else open. Even now my laptop's spitting fire, and not in the phat rhymes kind of way. Gonna get the update out when I have it rewritten.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:42:54 am by Retro »

Diarrhea Ferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 04, 2010, 02:25:45 pm »

update pls

(just letting you no the interest is still here)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.
YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: A Noble Pursuit. [community]
« Reply #295 on: February 05, 2010, 11:46:08 am »

Sorry sorry sorry! This update took forever, between all the work I had to do as well as having to entirely re-type it. I should be getting back to a frequent schedule this weekend.

'Sir Grath', Knight, mandates updates (100)

(33/100)

EDIT: I've returned to here and decided that this is a good turning point to mark a new chapter of the story, focusing on the fort's new nobility and using the military's first melee battle with the orcs as a climax of sorts for the Of Knights and Days chapter, especially as they're well-incorporated into the story at this point. Our new chapter is called A Noble Pursuit, and begins with this update here.

---

14th Galena, 17~

I heard a whistle, and stopped mid-sentence.

“Boss? You okay?” Jyrvus asked. I had just been giving him a play by play of our last great battle, which I’d watched from the cabin’s roof. The soldiers were a pretty quiet bunch, so most of our populace only saw the bodies of Momuz’s comrades, then the pile of orc and spider corpses.

“Yeah, I… heard something, I think.” There was another whistle, and we both turned. It was Datan, the dungeon master. She appeared frustrated, and was standing outside the cabin, squinting in the harsh sun. I imagine she’d never seen a place so far from luxury before. Presently she was smiling icily and whistling to me while waving me over.

I sighed, and turned back to Jyrvus as I walked over to the lounging noble. “We’ll catch up later, all right?”

“Whatever you say, boss.” The armoursmith stopped leaning on his pick and walked off towards the still in progress magma tower. He hadn’t mined in a few years now, but the pick still seemed inextricable from his personality and he had never given it up.

Meanwhile, the rest of the fort was at low spirits, no matter how many spirits they drank. We’d lost seven grown dwarves and a baby in the battle alone, and four other dwarves in the tower accident. Nobody was in a pleasant mood, least of all the military; Ubik had begun having angry breakdowns, while Macedon had been sitting staring out into the jungle for the last week without food or drink.

I approached Datan grumpily, but did my best to appear friendly. I imagine she was putting on the same social pretense.

“Manager. How is it that I have yet to be presented with proper accomodations?” ‘Manager,’ she calls me. I’m just a title, I see.

“Well, madam, uh… You see over there?” I pointed to the isolated patch of land we’d run magma around. “That’s going to be the future keep. Once that’s done, we’ll be putting yourself in a nice room in there with all the furnishings and whatnot. For now, uh… your current residence in the walls is the best we can do.”

“It’s unacceptable. Someone of my position?” She scoffed. “I am a dungeon master, am I not? Master. It is a title bestowed only after years of accomplishment as well as apprenticeship.” She cracked her whip, its tip snapping mere beaths away from my nose. I wasn’t even aware she was holding it – and suddenly it was gone again. “I would prefer to have my demands treated with a bit more weight. Do you understand me?”

I scratched my neck, in disagreement but without the force of personality to stand up to her. “Well, I think it’s pretty obvious I understand you, I mean, we’re both speaking plain dwa—”

CRACK! “Again: do you understand me, Mr. Manager?”

I let out a breath. I could feel the slightest bit of blood welling on my cheek; the whip had come just close enough to give me a superficial cut. Sigh. “Yes, yes, I understand you. What do you have in mind?”

She wound her whip, and it disappeared instantly from view. “A proper dungeon. Filled with caged prisoners, all manner of fierce beasts, smouldering lava pits. That is what I am used to, Manager, and that is what I require. I’ve noticed you have an undead menagerie caged away – perhaps I should pay them a visit?”

“…Uh. You think that’s the best… well, safest idea?”

“Don’t question my thoughts, Mr. Manager, and we’ll get along just fine, I think. Besides, don’t you have your own problems to be concerned about? I should think The baron will want proper accomodations.”

I blinked. Baron?

Datan clued in to my recognition failure – perhaps she had kept this from me intentionally to make me panic at the last minute. “Oh, the baron is coming to visit for a few years. You didn’t hear? Shame. Well, I hope you’ll be able to get things ready for his arrival in time.”

“But—”

“Oh, goodness me, what a lovely little fort! Ooh, do you see that, Percy? Look, they’re building a tower in that lava there! Oh, how splendid!”

I whipped my head around to see a rabble of nobility approaching. I turned back to see Datan walking away, whistling. Great. She’d intentionally left me in this situation with just enough time to worry without being able to do anything. I sighed as I tended to do these days and made my way over to meet them.

The woman, dressed in purple giant cave spider silk and all manner of expensive jewelry, was pointing at just about everything she could see. The cabin. The tower. The mural. Even the knights, standing stoically on duty.

The man beside her had sunk his head down a bit, and was eyeing everything with a regard that was part suspicion, part distaste. His behaviour was certainly more resigned than the woman, and his apparel reflected that: he wore a very plain black suit, with a single platinum ring on one finger and some sort of insignia emblazened on his jacket. Clearly the Baron, with a proper entourage.

Along with the Baron and his madam, there were two other men: One was a small, bookish fellow with some sort of nervous twitch. He had a roll of fiber parchment, and was making scratches on it with a piece of coal – he must be rich; parchment was near-impossible to come by. The other… I wasn’t sure what to think. The fourth man had a robe wrapped all around himself, and his face was cloaked under a hood. I got a terrible vibe from looking at him.

Odd as this bunch was, though, it was my job to be the host. Unfortunately.

“Sir! It’s a pleasure to introduce you to our fine community here! Welcome to Mightygrips! I am the king’s steward, Quinn Shadowhelms.” Argh. My sucking-up voice sounded so fake.

The baron stared at me, rather coldly. The baroness jumped in. “Oh, hello there, I’m Victoria, and this is my husband Percy! We’re just ever so happy to be here, aren’t we, Percy?”

The baron grunted.

“Well, uh, it’s a pleasure to have you here, Lord Percival! We haven’t quite prepared your offices, but I assure you we’ll have your lodgings ready by night-time. Does your wife prefer her own room, or would you like a second bed in yours?”

The two nobles stared at me blankly for a moment. “Oh, no, dearie, you seem to be mistaken,” said Lady Victoria. “Percy here isn’t the baron, he’s just here along with me! I’m the baroness.” She giggled.

I silently cursed Datan and tactfully removed my foot from my mouth.

“Of course, of course, my mistake, my mistake. These letters we receive from the mountainhome, they get dirt and rain on them and so on, just a nightmare to read.” I shrugged my shoulders and did my best to laugh heartily, then focused my attention on the bookish fellow. “And you are…?”

“James Gleehalls, chamberlain. Point me to my quarters. I have work to be done.” His conversation was as short as his stature.

“Yes, yes, uh, of course. And yourself?” I had now turned to the mysterious shrouded figure, whose face was coated in darkness despite the sun being at its brightest.

Lady Victoria raised a hand quickly. “Just a personal guard, Mr. Shadowhelms, no need to make acquaintance.” Odd. I let it go.

“Well!” I said. “Why don’t I take you on the exciting tour of our little fortress here?”

Lord Percival groaned. Inwardly, I felt the same way.

---

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT HUUUUUUUUUUURGH

I think we’re all very lucky that Macedon went miserable instead of berserk. I think he tried to commit suicide, but jumped from one part of the walls to another, and has just stood there the last while. Ubik’s in serious danger of going nuts, though, as well as a whole bunch of other well-armoured dwarves. I think I’m gonna put the military in the same room and lock them in with food so that any psychotic breakdowns are immediately dealt with. Plus being off-duty and socializing should help a bit. Still, we're teetering on the edge of a tantrum spiral.

I'm curious if personalities evolve over time. Can I see Sadok's personality sheet again?

What Beanchubbs said - Sadok's personality's still the same, although amusingly he's one of the only ecstatic dwarves despite his sister going insane and getting swatted into the magma pipe.

Seeing as Mightygrips is a castle, shouldn't there be a dungeon?

Yup! Initially I had been thinking of a built dungeon within the keep (since it's going to be quite tall), but after reading all your guys' suggestions, I'm thinking I should dig it out underneath and really make it interesting.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:20:03 pm by Retro »

Diarrhea Ferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 05, 2010, 01:02:57 pm »

hammerer (or atleast i think that thats what the mysterious body guard is)?
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.
YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 05, 2010, 06:40:27 pm »

hammerer (or atleast i think that thats what the mysterious body guard is)?
Just a personal gaurd. No need to make assumptions.   ;D
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: A Noble Pursuit. [community]
« Reply #298 on: February 06, 2010, 10:55:29 am »

---

1st Limestone, 17~

“Now, here’s your problem. See there?”

“Where?”

“Right there. Here, hold on a second.”

Bodark reached down and grabbed some sand from around his feet. He and Julius were in the powerplant built into the eastern walls, squatting between the dead waterwheels on the access platform. Bodark dropped the sand onto the water’s surface, where it floated idly.

Julius furrowed his brow. “I don’t think I get it, Mr. Bodark. There’s no flow. What’s so special about it?”

Bodark pointed to the pumps at the end of the water passage and then back at the sand. “Just wait a moment.”

As they watched, the sand began to sink into the water. Julius opened his mouth to speak, but Bodark held his hand up for silence, fixed on the sand. When it had sunk halfway down into the water, it suddenly was swept away mysteriously.

“What?” shouted Julius, startled. “But there’s no flow! The waterwheels aren’t turning!”

“Undercurrent, Jules. There’s an undercurrent here that’s letting the water go through, but not passing through the waterwheels’ space. That’s why they’ve stopped turning.”

The young mason looked up at the more experienced mechanic. “So…?”

“So we drain it, then refill it. If we don’t generate the amount of flow we need, we get stuck with another one of these undercurrents, and then all this water we’re pumping back and forth is useless. We’ll need… hm. We can always dig out a deeper cistern for all the water we’ve currently got…” Bodark mumbled, half to himself.

“I can talk to Sazir about that.”

“Good, all right. If we make the breach here, we—”

“Hey guys. Boy, what a day.” I sat down in the earth beside the two machinists and dipped my feet into the still waters. Whatever Bodark had been saying, he let fall from the conversation. We hadn’t spoken very much in the last few years except on a professional basis, but there was still some bad blood.

“Hey Mr. Quinn! Bodark was just showing me about undercurrents, and how flow only works the first time but then it changes and the waterwheels don’t go, and how we need to dig out the old water, and—”

Bodark gave the kid a look to try and quiet him, but the exciteable mason had already ‘spilled’ their plans to me. “Huh,” I said. “Dig out the old water, you say? Shame that the miners are going to be busy with the new dungeon for a while longer.”

Despite his reluctance to engage me in conversation, Bodark asked, “New dungeons?”

I shrugged. “Datan was giving me an earful about it. With all this nobility around the fort nowadays, it’ll look bad to say ‘no,’ you know?”

Bodark froze. “…New nobility?”

“Oh, yeah,” I said too-casually, “The baroness and her husband arrived earlier, don’t you know. And there’s this other guy, a short fellow, very sneery and bookish and all that, and this other mysterious bodyguard guy… really, quite a funny looking bunch altogether.”

I could tell Bodark was uncomfortable about something, though I wasn’t sure what. He stood and began walking back to the hovels. “Just remembered,” he said, “Sam wanted to talk to me about something.

“But what about the powerplant plans? We need to get that digging done!” called out Julius, but the mechanic was long gone. He sighed. “Aw, I’m never gonna finish this without Bodark. He knows so much about mechanics and stuff. I don’t know how he learned it all.”

“There’s a lot we don’t know about Bodark,” I muttered quietly. Something had spooked him, and I wanted to know more. I left Julius to his water fancies and headed after my rival into the yard. Kadzar and Ferret were ahead of me, walking back from the cabin. “Hey! Did Bodark just come by here?” I asked.

“Oh, uh, sorta,” said Ferret. “I saw him head off into the tunnels. I think he was putting in some overtime on the tower. Was moving pretty fast, actually.”

“Thanks, guys,” I said, breaking into a run. If Bodark had made it across the yard to the tower already, he’d definitely been moving fast. I made my way to the access tunnel and spiralled down the stairs two at a time, turning to the tunnel to be met by a shining axe blade inches from my face.

“Guh,” I said.

“Oh! Sorry, dearie, I didn’t see you there!” smiled Dermonster. She was holding her axe in front of her so the blade was out and at head height. If I’d taken just one step more, I would’ve split my face in two.

“Uh…” I said, upper brain function returning. “Woodcutting, I presume?”

“Yup!”

“A lot of trees down here in the magma pipe, are there?”

Dermonster giggled disconcertingly. “You’re so silly, Mr. Quinn.” She ran off up the stairs, shouldering the axe again. In seven years, I’d never been able to prove anything, but I could swear that these near-accidents that kept cropping up were hardly accidental at all. Trying to shake off the unease that followed the woodcutter around, I darted ahead into the tower, checking both up and down, but not finding Bodark anywhere. Though I hadn’t been able to figure out what had made the mechanic so uncomfortable, that mystery was dwarfed by a greater one – how I missed him in a tower that only had one exit or entrance. I’d have to look into this further.

---
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:16:51 pm by Retro »

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 06, 2010, 02:11:23 pm »

Horray! I'm hated! And I'm getting dungeons!
What more could a noble ask for?
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25