Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25

Author Topic: The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]  (Read 48005 times)

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: A Noble Pursuit. [community]
« Reply #315 on: February 09, 2010, 09:28:45 pm »

I bought a protable laptop desk/carrying case.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 09, 2010, 10:35:05 pm »

My laptop likes to overheat no matter what. I literally have scorch marks along the vents! Seriously, I can open Youtube and my laptop craps itself >w< Stupid MacBook...
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Gyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 10, 2010, 06:03:48 am »

My laptop is the great fiery beast. 17" screen with the last summers power, I, like the parrot, sing "Chestnuts Over an Open Fire" if it is put on my lap.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 10, 2010, 02:17:11 pm »

Thanks to you all, I know why I'm not buying a laptop for me. Ever. Or until they make proper cooling, that is.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 11, 2010, 09:17:23 am »

This is why the manufacturer says 'Do not put laptop in lap, always put it on a desk'.
Also, anything soft and fluffy (IE, pillow/blanket) will just make the laptop more fiery. You want a desk, with space between the laptop and the desk for airflow.
Personally? My EeePC gets a little fiery from time to time, but it's not bad most of the time. Especially if I put it on a desk where a) I don't feel the fire and b) it gets airflow for cooling.

robfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 11, 2010, 01:26:15 pm »

I have come to claim a Dorf.  :D

I don't mind who i get.. Male if possible. but i don't mind (If none, don't bother to DC it)

Name: Fred (Or freeda  >:( or anything you desire to torture me with)
Profession: I request architecture and mechanic added on my dorf(Profession: Genius(Custom))

And also, as this hasn't been thought of yet, you know at the entrence? an idea for a trap. maybe a few pressure plates(Enemies) about 4 tiles infront of the gate which turns on a pump (Acts as timer) which makes water flow onto a 4-7 water pressure plate opening floodgates on the gate, allowing magma to fall on nobles or helpless migrants invaders.
Thus making the most awesome gate ever! (Note remake the bridge out of magma-proof stuff)

Random design:

Level z

WPPPPPW W = Walls P = Pressure plates B = bridge H = Hatch/grate
W        W I forget which one. (To drain the magma off the bridge)
W        W E = Entrence to fort?!? D: (Space) = floor
WBBBBW
HBBBBH
WBBBBW
EEEEEEE

Level z+1
wwwwwww     W = Wall h = hatch/grate again F = floodgate (Linked to
w           w      my next design piece) (Space) Is floor again
w           w      Floodgate allows magma to pour down btw...
whhhhhhw
FhhhhhhF <--- Flow Comes both sides...
whhhhhhw
wwwwwww

Level Omg?Somewhere?!?
WWW   Case sensitive now W = water flow (On the level below!) (best if filtered)
wpw     w = wall p = pump (Add power somehow) (and turn off power or
wpw     on using the presure plates infront of my first Ascii design
w,w      , = floor this time P = pressure plate opening the floodgates
w,w     Dropping magma on helpless migrants and nobles invaders
wPw    h = hatch/grate for draining...
whw
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:33:11 pm by robfd »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 11, 2010, 02:52:44 pm »

No, there's nothing to worry about with my laptop. It's got a vent on the side and hangs off the edge of the pillow. It's on a desk most of the time anyhow. I love the little guy to bits; it's nearly seven years old now. Good to see everyone's opinion, though :P

---

The two watched Quinn run franctically across the yard.

“High strung bugger, that one,” muttered Goraillion.

“The boss?”

“That’s the one.”

Jyrvus gave Quinn a long look as the manager frantically ran to and from the cabin and the tower. “I would suppose that you’re right.”

Goraillion snorted. “Suppose, nothin’. That dwarf ain’t like no other dwarf I known. All he does is yell in that shaky little voice of his. He just gotta accept it.”

“What’s this he got to accept?”

“Death. It just comes for you, you know, when you least expect it.” The weaponsmith took the bismuth sword off the anvil and spit on it. The saliva quickly boiled away on the red-hot blade. The weapon was to be for ceremonial purposes; Lord Percival had made a big scene earlier about not having enough bismuth around. “You gotta take these things in stride. Don’t get all uppity. When it happens, it happens.”

Jyrvus grabbed a dirty rag and started polishing a shield. “I suppose.”

“Don’t start with them suppositions again.”

“I reckon, then.”

Goraillion grunted, then spit into the open magma. “Have it your way.”

The two stood at their workshops a little longer, staring idly down on the yard below. Quinn was still running around, frantically. Nobody down there seemed to be paying much attention to him, but that wasn’t especially unusual. Had either of them glanced up at the northern walls, they might have seen a figure in black flash past. For a moment it stopped and seemed to look right at them, and then disappeared. The smiths remained oblivious.

“Names, please,” a dry voice called out from behind them. They turned lazily to see a short man draped with official robes and wearing some sort of clear glass jewelry over his nose, making his eyes appear somewhat larger. He had a snivelling behaviour about him that made the two smiths immediately take a disliking of him.

Shebi was standing behind him, looking somewhat embarrased. She mouthed the word ‘sorry’ to them over the short official’s shoulder, as if it was her fault he was there. Presumably she wwas showing this newcomer around.

“If you’re looking for work, this ain’t the place for you. Newcomers start on construction duty. Go talk to Ducim, he’s the head mason around here. Guy with the limp. Probably at the cabin.” Goraillion tossed his hammer in the air idly as he spoke, not giving the man much regard.

The short dwarf sneered. “So quick to jump to conclusions. No, I am not your inferior. I am the honourable James Gleehalls, chamberlain of the barony, and I am here on official business.” He was locked in a dead stare with the grumpy weaponsmith, who made no visible reaction. “On to the matter at hand, then. Names, and professions.” Shebi was glancing nervously around, moving towards the stairs very slowly. “Don’t be sneaking off now, Ms. Weakenarrow. I am not done being shown around yet.” She whimpered slightly.

Goraillion spit again, this time not into the magma but at the chamberlain’s feet. “Some dwarfs around here call me Gor,” he said with a specifically neutral voice. “And this here is Jyrvus, the best damn miner and armoursmith we got in this place.”

Jyrvus raised up his pick and tipped his hat a bit with it, neither smiling nor frowning. “Pleased.”

“And your own profession, Mister ‘Gor’…?”

With a flash, the smith had appeared mere inches away from James’ face, the near-molten bismuth sword at his throat. “I make sure when our boys go out there and stick these here toys into orcs, they don’t need to take a second swing to finish the job. I’m a weaponsmith, Mr. Chamberlain, and I do a damn good job.”

James appeared unfazed, though a bead of sweat had fallen from his purple hat onto the glass over his nose, betraying him. “Very good. I’ll make note of that. And do be careful with those things. You could kill someone, waving a weapon around like that.”

“S’ the point, ain’t it?”

They stood there for a few moments more, and then the official turned back towards the stairs. “Ms. Weakenarrow. Do direct me to the stables. I wish to talk to the stablemaster next.” He departed, with Shebi following him. She made a final apologetic shrug, then disappeared after him.

The two smiths stared casually for a while. “I do believe you just made a new friend, Gor,” said Jyvrus finally.

“I believe I just might’ve.” The weaponsmith turned back to the anvil, holding the sword up to the red light of the magma. “All done here. Hit the still?”

“Aye.”

Goraillion placed the sword into a bin behind the forge. “I’ll have to get that sheath done tomorrow.” He scratched his black beard a bit. “Funny fella, that little guy.”

“I suppose he is.”

“Don’t start with that again.”

“Sorry, Gor. I reckon he is.”

The weaponsmith grunted. “Good enough. Let’s go get smashed.”

---

I have come to claim a Dorf.  :D

I don't mind who i get.. Male if possible. but i don't mind (If none, don't bother to DC it)

Name: Fred (Or freeda  >:( or anything you desire to torture me with)
Profession: I request architecture and mechanic added on my dorf(Profession: Genius(Custom))

Here you are. There was an unclaimed male mechanic already running around. And his last name is Orderpulleys, which is amusingly appropriate. As for the trap design, I appreciate it, but it's more typical DF than medieval-esque. I've yet to implement The Mad Engineer's slow floodgate locks still, anyhow.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 11, 2010, 02:58:09 pm »

Gor and Jyrvus may well be my favorite dwarves ever. Fantastic writing right there.

Gyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 11, 2010, 03:02:33 pm »

Wow I'm crazy. And philosphical. But mostly crazy.

robfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 11, 2010, 03:03:54 pm »

Here you are. There was an unclaimed male mechanic already running around. And his last name is Orderpulleys, which is amusingly appropriate.
Thanks for the dorf :) He has a nice name too :P
Though im about to go and try to design that floodgate door thing. but the fact is, Buildingdestroyers can remove them :s so my idea was to use a line of bridges.. Less effect. but they cant be removed.. :P But, the floodgates would look awesome. :)
Wow I'm crazy. And philosphical. But mostly crazy.
^Win.

Also, the magma was instead of the boiling oil they used to tip down on them :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 03:19:36 pm by robfd »

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 11, 2010, 03:40:46 pm »

Besides, if the point is to build a great and incredible castle, a magma trap would cement our place as the best castle - builders in the world!
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 11, 2010, 05:41:47 pm »

On Fred's sheet I see sard. What's sard? :O
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 11, 2010, 06:16:21 pm »

On Fred's sheet I see sard. What's sard? :O

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is one kind of sard. I'm assuming it is using it in this context considering it's Dwarf Fortress.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 11, 2010, 06:58:40 pm »

Code: [Select]
[MATGLOSS_STONE:SARD]
[VALUE:2][COLOR:4:7:0][TILE:15][GEM:sard:STP]
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]

Found that in the gem document. Guess it's just a low-level gem.

Also, the magma was instead of the boiling oil they used to tip down on them :)

Ah... now, see, this I can totally get behind. Maybe I'll make a second entrance on the mountain without a moat that would get obsidianized every time it's used. Besides, it'll be hard to make it look pretty, and hopefully the main entrance WILL look pretty.

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 11, 2010, 09:48:25 pm »

As in, giant 3x3 towers in the moats to place your slain orcs in? Cause that would be freaken awesome. A gigantic pillar-tomb constantly releasing a healthy miasma to your dwarf populace. Nothing better than the smell of a rotting orc.
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25