Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What does your exercise routine look like?  (Read 3013 times)

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What does your exercise routine look like?
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 10:17:43 pm »

Your routine looks pretty good, but you should try and add a pulling exercise, both for aesthetics and because it will help your swimming more. Simple pullups are great, or you could do rows with your barbell. My favorite is climbing rope. Vertical pulling is great if you're exercising for looks, because it builds your lats which makes your torso look V-Shaped. Pullups/Chinups will also work your biceps considerably so you could drop the barbell curls. You get more bang for your buck doing compound exercises that hit numerous muscles, rather than isolationist stuff like curls.

As for overtraining, you have to stress your body a pretty extreme amount to really overtrain. The main symptoms are severe physical/psychological fatigue and often times insomnia.

My "routine" is pretty scattershot, but the staples are pullups, dips, planks and walks/runs.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 10:28:49 pm »

When I was in year 12, I had a routine of 50 push ups, 50 squats, 25 sit ups, 50 5kg freeweight bicep curls, and around 50 of each exercise on a weights machine like this every morning (seriously, weight machine in front of television; best idea ever). That went fine up until my school ball, when I got sick and my compromised immune system went kaput on me. Sickest I've ever been, and I lost all my motivation to keep working out for about a year and a half :(

Since then, I've stuck more with cardio. Before my bike was stolen, that meant a 35 min ride to and from uni each day, or more recently a 10k jog followed by 6-8 reps (ie up & down) of Jacob's Ladder.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 10:34:49 pm »

I've wanted to put a chin-up bar for a while, but my dad says that he will not tolerate me drilling holes in my doorway.
Rows look like they would be a strain on the lower back. I'm not sure I want to risk that.

For a while, I would sneak into an empty classroom (I get to school way early) and do chin-ups on the rafters. I would stand on a table and then jump and grab the rafter. One time, a teacher walked in when I was in the middle of a routine and yelled at me. I was so surprised that I nearly fell the nine feet to the floor.

I'm looking forward to college and being able to go to a free gym.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2009, 10:42:58 pm »

Another option is using a resistance band and pulling that in various ways. Bent over rows with dumbbells should be pretty safe on the back. Of course swimming you're doing is working those muscles too, just more aerobically.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2009, 12:35:44 am »

When it comes to motivation, boredom is a major contributor to just about anything I do. I can care less how I appear these days though. I'm not really the optimistic type when it comes to attracting anyone. BTW, to have that as the only motivation for exercise, no offense to anyone, is kinda sad.

Okay, well, boredom, and cleansing my body from the crap food I eat as I use the computer are my primary motivations, and to help wake up/boost blood pressure. Despite my minimal activity, I seem to be doing just fine.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:15:21 pm by Itnetlolor »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2009, 04:22:58 am »

Ahem:...

PARKOUR! Parkour Parkour Parkour, Parkour Parkour. 25 Parkour, 2 Parkour - 60 mins of Parkour.
Parkour-night, and I Parkour-day - I Park anywhere I want today.

But that's basically the extent of my exercise. I do a two hour session about eight times a week though, so it keeps me fit to all hell.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2009, 10:33:39 am »

Thank you Toady.

Onlyhestands, you really think that my routine is too much? I was actually under the impression that two to four times a week was not intense at all.
I don't think two sets a day are overtraining, but you would benifit much more by doing more sets on a singleday, really tire out the muscle and then let it heal. Plus, its less time consuming to do say 6 sets one day than 8-10 per week(2 sets*4-5 days per week). Although I think you will see the most benifit from doing each muscle only once a week, if you cant dedicate that much per day, or don't want to, then you could probally do something like 2 sets every other day, or 4 sets every 4 days. I would say that you were on the verge of overtraining with pushups through. I may just be paranoid, ever since I really pushed my self doing pushups one week before I had an actual routine and f-ed my wrist up for two weeks. If your dumbells have straight sides so they can lay flat on the floor you should do pushups while grasping the hands, so that your wrists are straight and inline with your arm. Its much easier on your wrist. Or you can do knuckle pushups on a soft surface.

Abs are a kinda weird muscle though, and depending on the intensity, you can pretty safetly do them every other day, or third day depending on intesity(unless you work them really hard such as using weights or something in which case do them once a week).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:38:39 am by Onlyhestands »
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2009, 11:27:43 am »

The only exercise I do is walking everywhere. I probably cover five or six miles in a normal day, more if I'm going somewhere.
Other than that, I have better things to waste my time on.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2009, 01:58:07 pm »

One last thing... make the pushups more challenging! Elevate your feet on a chair (eventually handstand) or do them with one arm at a time. You're already strong if you can do 100, but by doing variations like that you should be able to challenge yourself and get even stronger.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2009, 05:12:00 pm »

My current goal is to run 500 miles between Monday and March 1st.

After that, I'll be running track, and then the Summer Season will involve another 500 miles. Afterwards, cross country will start again, and hopefully my training will get me under a 19 minute 5k. (current record is 20:35)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2009, 06:25:00 pm »

Yay! I convinced Eva to come with me for a walk today. Now I just gotta find some shoes... I can't remember where I put any of them! XD
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2009, 07:19:15 pm »

Gym once every fortnight for two hours.

Man, i'm going to be "Ripped"

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2009, 08:03:43 pm »

One last thing... make the pushups more challenging! Elevate your feet on a chair (eventually handstand) or do them with one arm at a time. You're already strong if you can do 100, but by doing variations like that you should be able to challenge yourself and get even stronger.

Yeah, I'm trying the "jumping" pushups, where you launch yourself into the air and land with your hands on a stack of books or something. I did 10 with about a 2 inch elevation, and nearly killed myself. :D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybYzYioipZc>Holy shitburgers. Look at this guy go.[/url]
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2009, 06:58:45 am »

When i was in training for the royal marine commando challenge,  (10k run, with obstacles, etc) i did the following:

Tue: circuits session, hour and a half, varied activites, such as punch bags, push ups, weights etc. Generally, you would do a station or activity for 1 min, have 10 seconds rest, then go onto the next one, till you had done 9 stations.

On thursdays, we would do an endurance circuit. This consisted of 5 stations, set along a 600 m track. you would run to the first station, which would be weights, then you would skip station #2 etc.and run straight to 3 (push ups) then skip 4 and goto 5 (dips) and so on. We usually repeated this about 5 times, so at the end of the session you would've run about 2k, done 60 push ups, 90 pressups, 60 reps, and 90 dips as well.

I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2009, 08:29:24 am »

My exercise last night was walking to the pub and having two pints of very fine real ales.
Viking and Cock Caper, as I remember.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4