Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7328 7329 [7330] 7331 7332 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9486376 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #109935 on: January 16, 2017, 01:38:39 am »

And I'm basically an autistic hermit who doesn't go out and try to meet people because being around new people or trying to make conversation with people or even being in a group of people makes me nervous and irritable and drains any energy or motivation I have to do anything.
That's what alcohol is for.
I mean, short of hitting up a psychologist/psychiatrist for some "official" kind of medication I don't think there's much else one can do about such an issue.
It sure works for me! Hell, I must be something like a thousand times better at interacting with people whilst sober these days.   
Self-medication really does work. I'm sure actual medication works well, too. Don't sweat it, you'll work something out eventually. :)   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #109936 on: January 16, 2017, 01:47:21 am »

So what do you usually do in your spare time then?
Sleeping, reading, studying or college work, working on side projects like programming, playing games or internet browsing when I have nothing else to do or don't feel like doing anything else.
Hmmm, my jaded older self sees no issue, you have several hobbies which you enjoy. Really, looking back at my uni years I regret more forced social interactions  than staying at home.... although I also think that it's likely one of those things that you can't be told, but have to see for yourself. .

But yeah. Just chill, don't worry too much about other people, Over time you'll find more like minded individuals.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #109937 on: January 16, 2017, 03:26:58 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I feel your pain.  I kept a log for years of the exact minute I opened and closed every file I worked on.  Average time in a file would be around 10 minutes.  Just to cover my ass against micro-managing performance metrics.

It infuriates me daily how much shit millennials get about being cynical, depressed (as in weak-spirited), entitled, and so on... but very few from the older generations seem to realize how utterly, crushingly de-humanizing and micromanaged our lives are.  Even though they're the ones doing it to us.

Grow some very thick skin.  A lot of these metrics are hot air to keep people scared and performing like their life depends on it.  Just keep in mind that your co-workers who are in the same job position as you are being put under the same pressures.  If you're performing at least as well as they are and they're not getting fired, then you won't get fired on metrics either.  That stuff is very often a lot of hot air that corporate management pushes down the ladder to keep people scared and working like their life depends on it to maximize profits.  The only other thing you have to worry about is shitty office politics.  If you have no long-term interest in this place, then just don't draw attention to yourself, and you'll be fine.  Go to work, do the job, avoid making yourself interesting to those drama magnets and power players that you'll find in any office, and go home.

Other opportunities will come along in ways you don't expect.  Just be ready and act quickly when they appear.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #109938 on: January 16, 2017, 04:01:47 am »

Oxfam Novib presented a new report on the gap between rich and poor. It has again grown since last year.

The 8 richest people of the planet have as much money as the 3.6 billion poorest people.
No not 8%. Eight persons, as much as 3.6 billion people. Unbelievable.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #109939 on: January 16, 2017, 12:03:26 pm »

I don't really think you can claim to be a millennial, Salmon, even if you still feel like seventeen on the inside :P
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #109940 on: January 16, 2017, 12:27:56 pm »

I don't really think you can claim to be a millennial, Salmon, even if you still feel like seventeen on the inside :P

It's arguable.  Born 1983.  Graduated high school in 2001.  I'm right on the borderline of the typically cited age-range.

But I go ahead and call myself a millennial, because I fit their cultural criteria much more than I fit Gen X.  Seems to me like the cultural underpinning of millennial is being the first generation to grow up with the internet as a normal part of their lives, and witnessing the world's adaptation to it as lead by older generations who don't have the same understanding of it.  My family got internet in 1996, a couple years before it became commonplace to have internet service at home, and at least 3-4 years before it was broadly accepted as normal and safe for casual use.  I've practically lived on the internet ever since I first had access, and it's been possibly the largest factor in shaping who I grew up to be.  I even met my wife on IRC.

Oxfam Novib presented a new report on the gap between rich and poor. It has again grown since last year.

The 8 richest people of the planet have as much money as the 3.6 billion poorest people.

It's amazing it's got this far without some major shit going down.  It's so hard to imagine it continuing like this for much longer.  It's just not sustainable environmentally, politically, culturally, or in any way at all really.  But the longer it goes on, the more I wonder if I'm just naive for thinking so.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #109941 on: January 16, 2017, 03:25:12 pm »

Populism encourages tearing down the elite, and we wonder why it succeeds?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109942 on: January 16, 2017, 03:46:31 pm »

Ah, but consider that 'having as much money' and 'consuming the same amount of labor and resources' are two very, very different things. Depending on how the money being had is calculated, this kind of statistics can be highly misleading.
In the same vein, consider the following: Do you think Oxfam would ever publish a report about inequality going down if there was any way to avoid it?

Not that I'm trying to claim there's no problem with inequality. It's just that this is the wrong way to think about it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #109943 on: January 16, 2017, 05:41:35 pm »

Ah, but consider that 'having as much money' and 'consuming the same amount of labor and resources' are two very, very different things. Depending on how the money being had is calculated, this kind of statistics can be highly misleading.
In the same vein, consider the following: Do you think Oxfam would ever publish a report about inequality going down if there was any way to avoid it?

Not that I'm trying to claim there's no problem with inequality. It's just that this is the wrong way to think about it.

If anyone does think about it this way, I would be surprised.  In fact, people get upset about this, because no 8 individuals could conceivably consume as much labor and resources as 3.6 billion, even if they tried to by the most frivolous means possible.  It's horrible because that money is wasted by people who don't need it, because it's kept out of circulation through populations that do need it in order to pay for consumption of labor and resources that they legitimately need.

And I know that the way the statistics are measured can be misleading when it comes to these things.  I understand they're not just measuring the amount of cash everyone has sitting in their bank accounts.  But if you want to pick that apart, it could honestly be hiding something even worse, depending on how they mathematically compare people who technically own less than nothing due to debt vs people who control billions in assets.  Just because it could be misleading doesn't mean by default that it's leading us towards a more negative view than reality.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #109944 on: January 16, 2017, 08:24:42 pm »

Some say that little things shouldn't be worried about.

But there's a reason the word "petty" has such a negative connotation. In any case, time for another one of my own rants about the little things.

This is what video games are coming to. If you're not watching, I've made a list of things that have changed from Dead Rising 4 from the original. I posted it onto Youtube but I've copied it here now because Youtube.

If the people at the very top of the heap (people who are well off and [I'd assume] well-educated) can't even make a game that LOOKS fun to play... Is being at the bottom really so bad?

Never mind players not understanding the meaning of the word "team", this tops my cake of worry with a lovely assortment of "I'd love to replace these guys if I could but I can't because I'm apparently too young and stupid".

On the bright side, at least the ratings were good, which suggests that the video skipped over a long list of good things. I hope.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109945 on: January 16, 2017, 08:28:53 pm »

It's horrible because that money is wasted by people who don't need it, because it's kept out of circulation through populations that do need it in order to pay for consumption of labor and resources that they legitimately need.

And I know that the way the statistics are measured can be misleading when it comes to these things.  I understand they're not just measuring the amount of cash everyone has sitting in their bank accounts.
There's a contradiction there, no? Either the money is being kept out of circulation - then they're sitting on a pile of cash. Or it's actually tied up in assets, in which case it's not being wasted at all, at least assuming that it is tied up in something sensible and not, let's say, stocks of land mine manufacturers.

Could you clear that up for me?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #109946 on: January 16, 2017, 09:32:51 pm »

It's horrible because that money is wasted by people who don't need it, because it's kept out of circulation through populations that do need it in order to pay for consumption of labor and resources that they legitimately need.

And I know that the way the statistics are measured can be misleading when it comes to these things.  I understand they're not just measuring the amount of cash everyone has sitting in their bank accounts.
There's a contradiction there, no? Either the money is being kept out of circulation - then they're sitting on a pile of cash. Or it's actually tied up in assets, in which case it's not being wasted at all, at least assuming that it is tied up in something sensible and not, let's say, stocks of land mine manufacturers.

Could you clear that up for me?

Because it's generally a mix of both.  Because those assets are generally resources that are tied up in infrastructure and resources vital to the rest of the population, that people without such assets have to trade labor (which by its very nature increases the wealth gap) or put themselves in debt to partake of.  Which is why a person's financial worth is generally measured by both things.  Even if a person has billions in assets and doesn't sit on any cash, the value of those assets is based on what they're worth to other people.  And they're either denying other people access to that value, or (more likely) leveraging it to increase their share of the total economy and force others into relative poverty.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109947 on: January 17, 2017, 10:22:19 am »

Couldn't get to sleep at a reasonable time last night even though I tried quite hard to sleep. And I woke up almost an hour early and couldn't get back to sleep. I think I'm developing some side effects for my antidepressant which makes me dizzy if I move my head too quickly. Or maybe I'm just getting sick. I just feel ill in general. Probs my mental state and the fact that I'm stressed to the max and it's only the second week of school.

Oh yeah. And I managed to piss my boyfriend off without even saying a damn word. I just want to go back to fucking bed.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109948 on: January 17, 2017, 10:31:18 am »

@Dead Rising 4.

holy shit how could you mess up dead rising. like seriously. if they got a new guy instead of using frank from DR1 and DR2:OTR that's just. goddamn. hopefully capcom realizes they fucked up :P

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109949 on: January 17, 2017, 02:48:11 pm »

Couldn't get to sleep at a reasonable time last night even though I tried quite hard to sleep. And I woke up almost an hour early and couldn't get back to sleep. I think I'm developing some side effects for my antidepressant which makes me dizzy if I move my head too quickly. Or maybe I'm just getting sick. I just feel ill in general. Probs my mental state and the fact that I'm stressed to the max and it's only the second week of school.

Oh yeah. And I managed to piss my boyfriend off without even saying a damn word. I just want to go back to fucking bed.

I hope you can get some sleep and feel better soon.

P.S. I get that same dizziness-when-moving-head thing sometimes, but in my case I'm fairly sure it's a migraine which just doesn't actually hurt yet (or, would be hurting if it weren't for the medicines I'm on).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 7328 7329 [7330] 7331 7332 ... 8167