Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7316 7317 [7318] 7319 7320 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9487191 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #109755 on: December 29, 2016, 06:52:13 pm »

From first-hand experience; no, hormones don't make you magically bad at science or academics. I had an adjustment period where I had to get used to mood swing stuff, and get my inner bitch-mode under control, but that was about it.

Mood swings, stress from transitioning, distractions stemming from the coming out and/or transitioning process; all possible contributors to poor grades. One thing I can say, in my case; coming out as genderqueer got me started on reevaluating a lot of things I was doing that weren't important to me. Self discovery of any stripe can do that... and academic or otherwise, that might change a person's priorities.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109756 on: December 29, 2016, 06:52:26 pm »

Yoink, you can grab your phone and use the wonders of social media to go to one party but be in spirit at the others as well. It might not be polite to use a phone during a conversation, but there are lulls in every party that you can use to connect with your friends who went to the others.
Could do that I suppose, but unfortunately my phone is a bit too primitive.
Perhaps with a decent smartphone I could livestream myself to both the other locations at once. That would be rather amusing.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #109757 on: December 29, 2016, 07:42:15 pm »

It was a math subject.

And trust me, this boy was Oxford material. Best in the year. University is a change, but that wouldn't change the apparatus that was already there.

Eh, yes it does. It's a big change. Big big change. Facefirst collision with reality.

Being very proud of yourself doesn't help. In fact, I daresay...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #109758 on: December 29, 2016, 07:58:17 pm »

Eh? Easy transition for me.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #109759 on: December 29, 2016, 07:59:11 pm »

Maybe. Not so easy for many people though.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #109760 on: December 29, 2016, 11:04:42 pm »

Congratulations on a semi-successful coming-out. From some of the horror stories I've heard it could have gone a lot worse. Even if your mom was a bit hesitant at least she's supportive :P
...turns out she's going to monitor everything I say on here. So praise the mother, yes.
Out of curiosity, can being a trans on hormones effect grades in a bad way? One guy I knew has said he's trans, and is doing the hormone thing. He was a brilliant scientist person, A*s all round. Bit insufferable as a person, but that's besides the point. Anyway, he has failed a module in university, an outcome which even a year ago would be completely unthinkable. He was always very arrogant about his good results, so it wasn't that he didn't care about them.
Err, make sure you use the right pronoun bro.

=======

Welp, I'm no longer sure about my gender, or whether gender, dysphoria, etc. are even real. A long talk with your gender-critical father will tend to do that. Now I'm just confused and sad.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109761 on: December 29, 2016, 11:09:36 pm »

If I may offer a completely unsolicited opinion: I'm pretty sure you're more female than male, based off of certain reactions.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:12:26 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109762 on: December 29, 2016, 11:19:25 pm »

Hey, you gotta do what makes sense for you. You really ought to put more trust in your own feelings, rather than the opinions of others or tests or whatever, too! No one else knows who you are more than you do; you're the final authority on your own identity, how you are comfortable being, the terms on which you want to live, etc.

Since I gather you just came out, give the folks in your life some time to adjust. And give yourself some time to adjust, too! It took me a few years of questioning openly (after a life of similar little hints) to figure my situation out, and to fully decouple my understanding of Gender and Social Performance from the idea of Biological Sex and the Body... and a bit longer to understand that BOTH of these things are arbitrarily defined, and changeable on a fundamental level. My family and some of my friends still have problems with neutral pronouns, but it's getting better whenever I see them, and as they get practice.

It takes a measure of courage, but finding your Internal Compass and listening to where it points you is a Hugely Important lesson in life! That's how you find happiness, and all that good shit.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109763 on: December 30, 2016, 12:52:55 am »

So, I made a bold step forward in my life. I'm now unemployed. My boss threw me under the bus to his boss several times in one meeting, and I got fed up and told them both to stuff it. $500 every two weeks isn't worth years of harassment, lies, slander, and bullying, on top of an hour commute.

Edit: I have some very concrete ins on employment. Possibly an IT job, possibly a retail management job, maybe both. I have a second job lined up, too, and that one will actually be fun, despite being retail again.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 12:55:01 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109764 on: December 30, 2016, 12:53:42 am »

...Yikes.

Good luck MZero :o
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109765 on: December 30, 2016, 02:55:10 am »

MZ, good luck. And props for standing up for yourself; you absolutely deserve a better employment situation than that, and sometimes doing shit like this is the best way to find that.

You've got this. Keep on it. Here's hoping you find something you like doing, and that pays well too!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #109766 on: December 30, 2016, 06:12:38 am »

My index and ring finger are the same length.
I don't doubt you at all on the other things, but do note that that only means anything if your family line is originally from Western Europe: digit ratios vary more between ethnicities than sexes/genders. My index and ring fingers are the same length, but that is in fact the average for Finnish men; around here it's the women who have shorter index fingers.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #109767 on: December 30, 2016, 06:43:22 am »

If I may offer a completely unsolicited opinion: I'm pretty sure you're more female than male, based off of certain reactions.
Like how you thought I was a guy "based off of certain reactions"? :P

Out of curiosity, can being a trans on hormones effect grades in a bad way? [...]
No. Not at all. :P
By itself, no. By due process: No. Even as general as stated above--nope. It's not something that affects the mind predominantly that it affects one's grades or is correlated with one's change of grades.

MZ, good luck. And props for standing up for yourself; you absolutely deserve a better employment situation than that, and sometimes doing shit like this is the best way to find that.

You've got this. Keep on it. Here's hoping you find something you like doing, and that pays well too!
Go MZ!

-snip-
Like what you've done in the Gender thread (that you made and isn't dead closed yet o-o), time is also needed for you :P
Exposure too, it'll help both you and your family.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:01:49 am by Tiruin »

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109768 on: December 30, 2016, 07:47:09 am »

I can't help but be more mad jealous than glad for Doze because I can't even dream of being public about anything because my dad would probably beat the crap out of me.

edited
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:03:13 pm by BlackHeartKabal »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109769 on: December 30, 2016, 09:42:25 am »

Tomorrow I have a social engagement that seems suspiciously like a date. O_O;
Well, uh. It seems I was stood up.
Spoiler: Optional explanation (click to show/hide)

Seems I cared about it more than I thought. :-\
Hopefully I cheer the fuck up after a bit of sleep, it wouldn't do to be down in the dumps on New Year's Eve.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:50:26 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 7316 7317 [7318] 7319 7320 ... 8167