Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7168 7169 [7170] 7171 7172 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9472640 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #107535 on: September 11, 2016, 09:22:48 pm »

Typically, annulments were most often granted due to consanguinity. Not usually incest, per se, as the idea was marrying someone and then finding out through the web of noble family ties that, oh fuck, this person is the descendant of what amounts to three consecutive generations of first cousins who you yourself are also descended from.

Which can cause some problems.
"I thought I was marrying someone who wouldn't be abusive, but I got an abuser, I want a refund"?

Iunno.
"Marriage is a sacred trust before God. Are you more afraid of your husband than His wrath?"
Abusers aren't marriage.  Pretty sure that's not how the sacrament works.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #107536 on: September 11, 2016, 09:45:38 pm »

Hey, you're preaching to the choir (aaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy) but that's not how the RCC sees it. It's definitely not how Opus Dei sees it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #107537 on: September 11, 2016, 09:46:11 pm »

Unless you're gay. Then you're a dirty heretic, destined for a fiery hole.

/punny
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107538 on: September 11, 2016, 09:48:38 pm »

Hey, you're preaching to the choir (aaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy) but that's not how the RCC sees it. It's definitely not how Opus Dei sees it.
Really?  I'm pretty sure that spousal abuse isn't something the Church would condone.  I can't speak for Opus Dei's position.

E: http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=575771
Seems like spousal abuse might very well be grounds for an annulment.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 09:50:44 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #107539 on: September 11, 2016, 09:58:52 pm »

It varies because there isn't an overly-consistent train of behavior, but any conservative or radtrad Catholic leadership wouldn't grant annulment on those grounds. You can even see that sort in the thread you linked.

The practice of annulment itself is kind of weird and inconsistent because its Biblical basis is entirely in Jesus conceding that infidelity is valid grounds to end a marriage, and just sort of got twisted back and forth by church tradition from there.

I imagine only the more radical Catholics would ever say you're obligated to stay in contact with an actively abusive person (but that does happen), but the number who would say that's actually grounds for annulment is a lot smaller.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #107540 on: September 11, 2016, 10:28:40 pm »

I'm guessing you've tried to convince your mum that no, he's not a good person and not worth the stupidity and abuse he puts you and her through?
Err, IMO, it's maladaptive behavior (As in 'interactions that may not really be healthy but 'it works to get results') which continues as a process affecting other people. Which could detail why Caroline's background may be like it is.
That said, OTHER THAN DISCUSSING the familial ties of Caroline's background--I do believe support towards her is the first priority anyone here should give other than that. Because firstly: Nobody knows her background other than her--she knows it best, and she can detail it in a way for others to know better, but that isn't her priority here since we cannot solve this for her. We can help by redirecting her to places where she can get help or help her out with what she's in control with, but discussing her familial life may not really be helpful at all. It's the pseudo-cyclic nature of behavior that comes off as abusive, it stems from maladaptive behavior, and reinforced by the lack of other ways in interaction, to be extremely blunt. :-[

I do believe the Catholic Church has annulments.  Also known as 'this marriage never happened in the first place'.  (By 'believe' I mean 'know', by the way, but, well, sometimes turns of phrase just work their way in and etc..)
There's also the lack of divorce in countries which strictly practice that. :O ...With my country as one example.

I will be okay. Thank you for worrying, though :)
We're all just concerned for you here. :D Please do take care there, and keep in contact with your friends and other folks--to also help your parents and otherwise in the future too.

saigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107541 on: September 12, 2016, 01:57:12 am »

Unless you're gay. Then you're a dirty heretic, destined for a fiery hole.

/punny
Relevant

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #107542 on: September 12, 2016, 02:05:49 am »

I hope and pray things get better for you, Caroline.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #107543 on: September 12, 2016, 04:34:13 am »

+1 to this, seriously. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107544 on: September 12, 2016, 07:29:15 am »

+1 to this, seriously.
Indeed.
Sigtext

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107545 on: September 12, 2016, 08:40:15 am »

Typically, annulments were most often granted due to consanguinity. Not usually incest, per se, as the idea was marrying someone and then finding out through the web of noble family ties that, oh fuck, this person is the descendant of what amounts to three consecutive generations of first cousins who you yourself are also descended from.

Which can cause some problems.
"I thought I was marrying someone who wouldn't be abusive, but I got an abuser, I want a refund"?

Iunno.
"Marriage is a sacred trust before God. Are you more afraid of your husband than His wrath?"
Abusers aren't marriage.  Pretty sure that's not how the sacrament works.

Traditional guide on householding (domostroi from orthodox church) includes passages like :
"Don't pity a youngling while beating him: if you punish him with a rod, he will not die, but become healthier."
and  instructions on how good christian husband should properly beat his wife( something on preferably using palm, stick or whip, not aiming in the head and avoiding use of metal staffs, pans and etc in the process)
And even modern orthodox church representatives sometimes advocate the corporal punishments.

I suppose, that majority of catholic church literature on ,, being good christian father of the family"  may have the same opinion about  husband using violence as educational tool.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107546 on: September 12, 2016, 09:51:27 am »

If I could afford to travel, I'd be more than willing to use some violence as an educational tool. For Caroline's sake.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #107547 on: September 12, 2016, 09:52:34 am »

If I could afford to travel, I'd be more than willing to use some violence as an educational tool. For Caroline's sake.
+1

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107548 on: September 12, 2016, 09:58:58 am »

+1
I am not a violent person, but I have the same thing with no monies but much wanting to help.  :v

@sprinkled chariot:Pretty sure not.
Sigtext

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107549 on: September 12, 2016, 11:34:07 am »

I also volunteer this form of assistance, sadly it's all I've got to offer other than moral support.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 7168 7169 [7170] 7171 7172 ... 8167