Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5937 5938 [5939] 5940 5941 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9440870 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #89070 on: February 26, 2015, 02:08:16 pm »

Quick question Sphess: Do you talk to people and talk openly with them?
Asking in part due to saying that thing about friends :O

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #89071 on: February 26, 2015, 04:20:40 pm »

I'm wasting my life. College is a waste of time. I can't play guitar or do jack shit musically. I'm a failure who has a bunch of guitar equipment and no real skill to use it. Don't have the time or dedication to get good at it. I'm not accomplishing anything with my time in college, still no friends, no idea what I'll major in, making absolutely no progress on music, even less than when I was in high school. No progress on any of my other hobbies. I want to do everything and can't dedicate myself to anything. Getting nothing done. Total failure.

I'm just bleh today, man.
Nobody is born good. In fact, I believe that whoever came up with the idea of 'talent' should be tried for crimes against humanity. And if you're making no progress on music, as counter-intuitive as it sounds, I recommend taking a break. I've found I would, inexplicably, level up my skills after breaks. I have no idea what causes that, but it's a thing for me. Or explore it from another angle; those might have been the explanation for those jumps - I'd get mu-sick (don't shoot) and read up on music theory, messed with electronic composition (SunVox, it's free and I can't recommend it enough for its relative simplicity) and keyboard instruments, just to fulfill the urge to mess with music.

And even still, judging from your posts, you're better, technically, than me; I mean, I can't sweep my room, much less a D minor arpeggio, ferex, and unless I'm confusing you with someone else, you're learning how to notation.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #89072 on: February 26, 2015, 04:24:51 pm »

I've found I would, inexplicably, level up my skills after breaks. I have no idea what causes that, but it's a thing for me.
They've actually done several psychological studies that found that the most common time for an "ah-ha" moment where your brain successfully completes something or comes up with a new solution to a problem is if you get frustrated, relax with a break, and then come back to it in a more positive state of mind.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #89073 on: February 26, 2015, 04:38:22 pm »

I've found I would, inexplicably, level up my skills after breaks. I have no idea what causes that, but it's a thing for me.
They've actually done several psychological studies that found that the most common time for an "ah-ha" moment where your brain successfully completes something or comes up with a new solution to a problem is if you get frustrated, relax with a break, and then come back to it in a more positive state of mind.
Oh, no, I mean 'break' as in 'go somewhere for, say, two weeks or month without access to my guitar at all', not 'go watch an episode of Archer and come back'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #89074 on: February 26, 2015, 04:56:51 pm »

I regret posting in this thread now. Don't know what I was thinking. It just feels like my life is going nowhere and it's frustrating. Probably could've just said that instead of sticking my foot in my mouth (again) with that wonderful post of emotional venting. Again.

Quick question Sphess: Do you talk to people and talk openly with them?
Asking in part due to saying that thing about friends :O
No I don't talk to people or make any effort to stay in communication with them. I'm bad at that.

Spoiler: for less wall of text (click to show/hide)
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #89075 on: February 26, 2015, 05:24:20 pm »

Still better than me, if I had catgut strings my sweeping would technically be animal cruelty. Or wouldn't, because it's non-existing.

From the sounds of it, you are a perfectionist sensu stricto, not just what people refer to commonly refer to; none of the things you mentions are things you *have* to do, or even *should* do. People will listen to a guy just bashing away at three chords on a badly tuned guitar for all of his career quite contentedly if you sell it right; call it cynical, but it's also reassuring in a weird way.

If you're doing any - literally any of the things above, and don't want to... don't. Determination is a fine thing, but it's kinda like a burning match; you can use the power to get things started, but if you try to cook an entire dinner using just a single match, you're just gonna get yourself burned.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #89076 on: February 26, 2015, 05:45:54 pm »

Oh, no, I mean 'break' as in 'go somewhere for, say, two weeks or month without access to my guitar at all', not 'go watch an episode of Archer and come back'.
No, what I was getting at is the same pathways apply on larger scales as well. If you've been spending weeks working on a project and keep getting stuck, taking a week off and then coming back has exactly the same effect as a shorter break from a shorter problem. The key is the fact that you were away long enough to relax your mind and come back with a fresh viewpoint, not the actual duration of the break (though obviously if you put something down for months or years you probably won't understand it as well when you come back).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89077 on: February 26, 2015, 07:17:31 pm »

The opportunity cost of being in further education.
I know that it's overall going to be a beneficial thing, but for whatever reason the school bulletin for my 6th form keeps advertising apprenticeships, and a lot of them pay at the same level or above minimum wage proper. That's enough to be productive to society and not be leeching off parents and probably other good things also. Like right now Sky has apprenticeship positions open with rock-bottom application requirements and that pays £16k a year.
Instead I have to be useless to pretty much everybody for years because that's probably the most useful thing to me ultimately.

EDIT: For clarification, I know that what I'm doing is the best use of my time. But it's like the 15 minute marshmallow thing. Just because I know that ultimately the outcome will be better doesn't mean I don't want what I could take now.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:31:58 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #89078 on: February 26, 2015, 09:32:22 pm »

I regret posting in this thread now. Don't know what I was thinking.
Hey, you did what you thought was best--and personally? I really like that.
Unlike me, you and many people have the courage to announce what's plaguing you; unlike me, I don't think this will result in a long time of worry that leads you to personally face your fears alone--because I was pretty much like that a long time ago, and I did not or am not (until now...) open to posting my sads at all (though incidentally, I let it slip in between the lines in my posts, usually in subscript). x3 Because I seem to have dealt with them a ton.
...Until I learned that seeking and letting others know, in good company, would REALLY help a lot.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #89079 on: February 26, 2015, 10:00:02 pm »

Forgot some bills.

Guess who will be a month late on rent and very low on food for the next two months or so.

God-damnit I am an idiot.

edit: Not as bad as I thought. Still have to learn how to cook rice though I guess :P
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:11:38 pm by Dutchling »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #89080 on: February 26, 2015, 10:56:17 pm »

How can you not know how to cook rice?

Rice in pan. Water in pan. Boil rice-water until rice is soft.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89081 on: February 26, 2015, 10:58:11 pm »

I usually boil until the water's gone completely.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #89082 on: February 26, 2015, 11:03:54 pm »

That works too. Depends on how much water you use. Just boiling the rice in a lot of water is most reliable.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:08:46 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #89083 on: February 26, 2015, 11:15:38 pm »

spaghetti's easy as well, and relatively cheap. boil water, put noodles in, boil the water again, put ragu in a saucepan, thrown meaty/vegetably shit in the sauce pan, heat, then serve.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #89084 on: February 26, 2015, 11:56:10 pm »

That works too. Depends on how much water you use. Just boiling the rice in a lot of water is most reliable.
It's also how HERETICS do it.
Pages: 1 ... 5937 5938 [5939] 5940 5941 ... 8167