Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4670 4671 [4672] 4673 4674 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9428923 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #70065 on: February 11, 2014, 08:57:04 am »

Hmmm... How many meds have been tried? What about light therapy (you mentioned he's got a Toady-like rhythm)?

Depending on how bad the depression is, there's always opiates - very effective antidepressants with comparatively few side-effects, but of course they get you addicted as hell. You probably wouldn't find a doctor willing to write the necessary prescriptions.

Huh, opiates are antidepressants? The more you know...
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70066 on: February 11, 2014, 09:24:16 am »

After I woke up, I took my wife to the eye doctor (whatever the heck their official title is.) I got a little lost on the way there, but it wasn't bad. The reason she went there is because, on top of everything else, she has now found out that she has cataracts. The doctor said he has no idea as to where they came from, because she's still young. So they're talking about doing some (what they call minor) surgery to remove it and add in some little lens thing that should also hopefully help with her bad vision as well. That sounds like a good plan.
For whatever reason, he was talking like he thinks that it'd be best to only do the worst eye, and leave the other one as it is. That makes no sense to me, as he even admitted that the other eye would continue to get worse, and would also need the same surgery in a year or two anyway. My wife wants to just get it done and over with, so it's rather annoying that they only want to do one. Hopefully we can convince them to take care of both of them.
They most likely want to do one at a time because she'll be blind for a while if they do both at once.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #70067 on: February 11, 2014, 10:08:50 am »

I'm going to hug all of you right now. I hope you are okay with that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70068 on: February 11, 2014, 10:25:11 am »

So much sad that I can't think of a-

This'll do... Seconded!

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70069 on: February 11, 2014, 10:35:00 am »

Thirded
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #70070 on: February 11, 2014, 10:42:52 am »

Let's definitely make it a party. I lurk this thread every day, and feel helpless that I can't help everyday.

Vector, Yoink, mastahcheese, etc - if any of you wants a game, for what little that's worth, just check the sig. Just pick anything you want to play that's on the list, no strings attached.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70071 on: February 11, 2014, 11:34:32 am »

Thirded
Fourthed.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70072 on: February 11, 2014, 11:44:55 am »

This thread is super deep.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70073 on: February 11, 2014, 11:49:42 am »

My heart goes out to you all. Here, catch, pass it around a bit, hot-potato style.

I'm beginning to think Bay12 should put together a hug-wagon that roams the globe and hugsqueezes the ever-loving crap out of everyone and what they're suffering from. It's a far cry from actual solutions, hardly feasible, and wholly impractical, but the internet is just such a grim and tinny way to offer condolences.

On an aside, I think we all need to learn to tell people "no" when they ask for and perhaps are not deserving of help, myself included. I know I tend to justify my suffering if it's to the growth or merit of another, and yet it's still a suffering.

Stay well, everyone.

Now I can just imagine a dirty white van full of short, hairy people. "Bay12 comfort van" is written on the side in messy red paint, seemingly turning brown as it dries. They pull up next to sad people and, swigging from a stone flask, ask: "Want a hug?"

Then they hug people.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #70074 on: February 11, 2014, 01:07:53 pm »

Did terrible on my first physics quiz (but really more of a test) for this semester. Not the biggest deal, since I will do much better on future ones (eg. where I know they are coming more then a hour ahead and don't miss half of the homework), but still a pretty big bummer.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70075 on: February 11, 2014, 01:42:22 pm »

Birthday coming up this week.  I'm going to be 33 and I feel physically about twice that.  I want a nap and a white russian, and I can't have either -_-

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70076 on: February 11, 2014, 02:15:20 pm »

Math test went about as well as expected... I basically didn't do two problems worth 8 points each... Which on top of the other points I've probably missed but I don't know about... I think this is optimistically 80-90% but realistically probably less...

I also think that honestly that was the hardest math test I've taken in this college so far.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #70077 on: February 11, 2014, 02:19:41 pm »

I'm breaking down. I am typing this from my school, to try and calm a bit.
By 9:00 a.m, my hands already had deep bite marks and I was shivering.
I'm gonna look for help.
Damn, that sucks. Not quite sure what to say other then I hope that you manage to overcome your problems.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #70078 on: February 11, 2014, 02:33:04 pm »

After the talk with the pupil guidance center today my mom insisted to talk to me too and ask me what was said.
* miauw62 sighs
I cut her off when she said "you have to understand that you just can't..." which pissed her off.
I don't know what the fuck would have come after that, but all of the options I can think of imply I'm a fucking idiot. I know what is accepted by society and what is not, and I fall into the second group which causes these problems in the first place.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70079 on: February 11, 2014, 02:54:51 pm »

Thanks, folks... I will take my hugs :<

Fortunately I'm doing okay, largely.  I just need to make sure this next time I'm moving back in with my parents is the last one.  Ever.  And then I need to figure out how to make friends as a young adult.  But once those two things are completed, I will be okay.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 4670 4671 [4672] 4673 4674 ... 8167