Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4667 4668 [4669] 4670 4671 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9426123 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #70020 on: February 10, 2014, 04:48:00 am »

Haven't got anyone who I can talk about this with. I thought writing it all out would help, but it hasn't :(.
That is badly caring for a dog.
But there is much, much worse out there.

She's fed enough, she is exercised at least twice a day, and she's obviously loved.

I'd say that whilst he's lapsing and letting his laziness impact on his care of the dog, he's coming out worse than she is.

Depends how you look at it, but I'm a little biased. (my wife is a vet, and someone I know has severe depression )

I would suggest trying to diplomatically tell him he's not looking after the dog properly. They do require a lot of exercise (and other stimulation, depending on the breed) and it's obviously not good if she requires attention from a vet and he's unable to take her. It's up to you whether or not you want to use the threat of animal welfare, either by suggesting someone might notice he's not caring for the dog properly, or straight up telling him you'll call them.

If the mental illness is depression, especially if it's only mild-moderate, going for a longer walk with the dog might make him feel better. I can only go on my own experience with that, and the occasional walk makes me feel better, but obviously everyone is different. What works for me may not work for others. Should you have the time, you can suggest accompanying him a few times just so he has someone with him. You will need to be somewhat persistent though, changing someone's habits is quite difficult. Is there anything, outside of habit, stopping him taking the dog out in the wee small hours, before he goes to bed?

It's good that you're considering other's reactions to what you might do, but I can't imagine living in urine is very healthy for him, as well as the dog's lack of stimulation.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70021 on: February 10, 2014, 07:10:24 am »

Seems like the dog isn't doing him much good - is he on medication? That can help a lot. Speaking from experience here.
Otherwise, could someone else perhaps take the dog for a walk if your relative forgets? A neighbor, or nearby family member, maybe?

Or just get the do housebroken. Your relative can still do the walks, but it won't be strictly necessary.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70022 on: February 10, 2014, 08:29:57 am »

I've apparently lost a whole lot of weight over the past couple of weeks and I didn't even notice =/
I am also losing weight, even though I haven't changed anything. I wonder where it's going?
Note: this is not a sad for me, but I'm overweight, unlike Vector.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:31:59 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #70023 on: February 10, 2014, 09:23:31 am »

TIL that people editing (presumably only the latest) post in a thread makes it show up in New Replies again.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70024 on: February 10, 2014, 09:29:59 am »

As far as I've seen, it doesn't work like that; I've stumbled over quite a few edits I didn't see using the new replies page.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #70025 on: February 10, 2014, 09:35:18 am »

As far as I've seen, it doesn't work like that; I've stumbled over quite a few edits I didn't see using the new replies page.
But I saw MZ's post both pre and post edit and I only ever use the new replies function...

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70026 on: February 10, 2014, 09:55:31 am »

Spoiler: Ranting >_> (click to show/hide)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70027 on: February 10, 2014, 01:51:11 pm »

I've apparently lost a whole lot of weight over the past couple of weeks and I didn't even notice =/
I am also losing weight, even though I haven't changed anything. I wonder where it's going?

In my case, presumably depression keeping me on a diet of something like 300-600 kcal per day, tops.  I'm pretty sure I'm anemic, and I've been having problems with feeling lightheaded and having my extremities tingling.

Time to go to the doctor~
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #70028 on: February 10, 2014, 02:14:27 pm »

... That'll do it! If I only had any idea of where you lived, I'd order you a pizza every so often. The one time in history that wouldn't be a prank.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70029 on: February 10, 2014, 02:28:28 pm »

and that is the story of how bay12 began running a pizza parlor

at least there are no ultracapitalist fairies involved

yet

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #70030 on: February 10, 2014, 03:38:10 pm »

That is badly caring for a dog.
But there is much, much worse out there.

She's fed enough, she is exercised at least twice a day, and she's obviously loved.

I'd say that whilst he's lapsing and letting his laziness impact on his care of the dog, he's coming out worse than she is.
I've thought similar myself, but should this be the measure?

Depends how you look at it, but I'm a little biased. (my wife is a vet, and someone I know has severe depression )

I would suggest trying to diplomatically tell him he's not looking after the dog properly. They do require a lot of exercise (and other stimulation, depending on the breed) and it's obviously not good if she requires attention from a vet and he's unable to take her. It's up to you whether or not you want to use the threat of animal welfare, either by suggesting someone might notice he's not caring for the dog properly, or straight up telling him you'll call them.

If the mental illness is depression, especially if it's only mild-moderate, going for a longer walk with the dog might make him feel better. I can only go on my own experience with that, and the occasional walk makes me feel better, but obviously everyone is different. What works for me may not work for others. Should you have the time, you can suggest accompanying him a few times just so he has someone with him. You will need to be somewhat persistent though, changing someone's habits is quite difficult. Is there anything, outside of habit, stopping him taking the dog out in the wee small hours, before he goes to bed?

It's good that you're considering other's reactions to what you might do, but I can't imagine living in urine is very healthy for him, as well as the dog's lack of stimulation.
Unfortunately it's been going on so long that if I say anything he thinks I'm just having a go at him "like usual". He's always responded badly to anything he even thinks is criticism (frequently overhearing conversations and thinking they are about him). There are only a couple of people who can give advice that puts him in a bad light. This is more than likely a result of his illness.

A day or so back I mentioned that I was concerned he isn't coping and have considered contacting the local animal welfare people and he just shrugged his shoulders, said I was exaggerating the problem, and said he'd not missed a walk all week. This is not the case as I spent the last week round his and he'd missed one the day before, and more before that. After I said this he refused to say anything else.

The main thing stopping him taking her out before he goes to bed is that he is determined to take her out after sunrise but falls to sleep. The main reason he falls to sleep is that one day he'll stay up untill midday the next day, get woken by friends or health workers (who come round like clockwork), then having had only a few hours of sleep be unable to stay up. This repeats. It also means he misses his meds which leaves him spaced for a few days where he'll miss even more walks and even feed her at erratic times.

I'm not easily able to go with him so early and nobody else is around to do it. I'm nervous to go out of my way to do it as previously I was going out on longer midnight walks with him and a friend of ours. On nights I was unable or unwilling he'd refuse to go on the longer walk. A few people present pointed out that he was essentially blackmailing me and this stopped, but so did the longer walks. Also see the paragraph bellow for more.

Seems like the dog isn't doing him much good - is he on medication? That can help a lot. Speaking from experience here.
Otherwise, could someone else perhaps take the dog for a walk if your relative forgets? A neighbor, or nearby family member, maybe?

Or just get the do housebroken. Your relative can still do the walks, but it won't be strictly necessary.
The dog has done him good, he went from no exercise to some and his mood is better. He is on medication and they are in some ways part of the problem: they help generally, but make him more lethargic.

Ignoring how she pees immediately if he leaves her alone she is house broken if she gets out enough. A while after he first got her I would drop by after a night shift and walk her to help out. Knowing I would he started only taking her out once and lied about it. I was missing sleep to do this and could only do it on the days I did nights. As a result she ended up getting out less overall and so I stopped. It's difficult because he keeps nocturnal hours and everybody is busy when they'd need to be filling the gaps.

Thanks for the advice. It's helped some.

Oh joy: time for work.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70031 on: February 10, 2014, 03:48:08 pm »

What sort of meds, if you don't mind me asking - an SSRI? Switching to a different medication might work wonders for him. I was on Venlafaxine (an SNRI) for a while, and while it didn't really help, it didn't make me all sleepy and unable to work. Then I switched to mirtazapine (an SSRI), and pretty much slept through a whole semester. These are ugly substances.

What does his doctor say? (Again, only answer if you're comfortable with it~)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70032 on: February 10, 2014, 04:03:29 pm »

so this guy seems gone

i liked this guy

rip this guy

;_;

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70033 on: February 10, 2014, 04:36:35 pm »

Weird? I hope not, he's been very entertaining for lurker like me.

I noticed in that LP from LordBucket he's interested in +science+, so maybe some related thread or forum game (Arcanum anyone?) will hopefully draw him in eventually.

Sad thread contribution: there will never be Arcanum 2.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70034 on: February 10, 2014, 04:38:13 pm »

Eh, he's probably Swiss.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 4667 4668 [4669] 4670 4671 ... 8167