Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3830 3831 [3832] 3833 3834 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453472 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #57465 on: January 15, 2013, 04:23:44 pm »

D:!

NOT THE PASTE!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57466 on: January 15, 2013, 05:06:52 pm »

To re-cap what everyone said:

To Therapist and Mother: YUR DOIN' IT RONG
This was pretty much my thoughts entirely... I'm not really sure how I'm going to deal with this yet, but I think I probably won't be going to see him again.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57467 on: January 15, 2013, 05:40:19 pm »

Thinking of the past and thinking of the now.
Unf.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #57468 on: January 15, 2013, 05:53:18 pm »

Can't...stop...parsing as "the rapist"...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57469 on: January 15, 2013, 06:02:09 pm »

At least he's not an analyst as well.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #57470 on: January 15, 2013, 06:04:20 pm »

At least he's not an analyst as well.

John Johnson: Theanalrapist

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57471 on: January 15, 2013, 09:11:54 pm »

@ Pnx: First step, get a different therapist-type person. If you can, check your mental health center's website and see which practitioner is most recommended. It's not a sure bet, but I'm guessing yours won't be high on the list.

Second, ditch your mom for those sessions, especially if she's part of whatever issues you're having. You need to be open and honest with your therapist, even if you're just venting frustrations. The best part is that your mom will not be able to (legally) find out what you discussed unless you yourself choose to tell her afterwards.

Yeah, I'm just reiterating what others have said. Just throwing my two cents and personal experience out there.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57472 on: January 15, 2013, 10:04:07 pm »

Oh man, am I feeling some kind sting. Remember how I said I was so happy to finally get a job in the happy thread? I'm not sure this gonna work out after completing my second day there.

I don't think I mentioned it before, I'm a telemarketer now. I'm advertising free hearing tests to what are the elderly most of the time. The company sells hearing aids.

It's just this mixture of extreme dull boredom with frustrating, depressing bits interspersed regularly. This is served in an uncomfortable chair at a desk facing a wall, in a small windowless room with five other people. The cherry on top is the ultimate goal is to make appointments and get people in, but those little successes are both few and far between, and a great deal less satisfying than I would hope so.

My coworkers are nice and friendly, but they're the type of cynical, crushed dreams, middle-aged and getting older and more crushed types. So, they're nice, but it's hard to relate, and it's horrifying to think I might be in a situation where I have to if I'm sliding into a similar position.

My job consists of of course calling people that most likely don't want me calling them, and that's a frustrating bit but, if it were JUST that I wouldn't mind as much. Sometimes I'm calling people that died a long time ago, sometimes I'm calling people that obviously need hearing aids but simply can't hear me, I'm calling elderly people that are simply so sad that they no longer can drive and all their kids ignore them, but the worst ones are when I call an elderly person that openly admits that he or she is simply waiting to die. Did I ever mention that I'm always thinking of my own mortality? Cause I need to wish those people the best of luck, and then just take a break for a few minutes to clear my head every time that happens.

It's really just my second day, and I've always complained that I thought the days go by too fast, but here the time is now moving so slow. These are the longest hours I can ever remember experiencing. Even keeping busy, each of the two days felt like an eternity. The uncomfortable chair is not kind to my ass by the way, the time can almost be measured by how close I'm getting to need to get up and stretch. Getting up and just chilling in the clockless bathroom for a few minutes is also a great break, but I feel it shouldn't be this way.

This is morbidly ironic, that my largest motivator to finding a new job has been me getting a job. I'm not sure what to do, I'm frantically asking for applications for fast food joints now. I thought of myself as above that kind of work before, but looking at it now, it doesn't seem so bad. Atleast it wouldn't be like this, I don't think.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57473 on: January 15, 2013, 10:16:53 pm »

I'm not sure what to do, I'm frantically asking for applications for fast food joints now. I thought of myself as above that kind of work before, but looking at it now, it doesn't seem so bad. Atleast it wouldn't be like this, I don't think.
Frankly, in this kind of job market, nobody is above anything. I used to think I'd be a game programmer, getting my name into some big blockbusters or being part of a successful indie team.

Now I'm applying to fast-food places and the like just as fast as I can, because the odds of even McDonald's or some other place accepting me are slim. Everyone around here wants experienced employees; NO ONE is hiring new people. Even the goddamn dishwashing jobs require eight to twelve months. If I don't find a job - and soon - I'll probably have to enlist in the armed services.

I can understand wanting to leave a crappy job, but at least stick it out until your first paycheck. See if things get any better, and if you do end up leaving at least you'll have some money.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57474 on: January 15, 2013, 10:51:54 pm »

McDonalds is waaay better than telemarketing. Sure, you're flipping burgers. You know what's wrong with flipping burgers? Not a goddamn thing. It's something that people need done, it's satisfying work if you view it correctly, and it's relatively simple. Even fun, if you do it right. I used to work at a bar as the cook, and I looooved that job compared to the job I have now.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #57475 on: January 15, 2013, 11:10:52 pm »

Sometimes I'm calling people that died a long time ago
Heh, our house gets calls asking for deceased people too.  I think it's just a thing that happens.

but the worst ones are when I call an elderly person that openly admits that he or she is simply waiting to die. Did I ever mention that I'm always thinking of my own mortality? Cause I need to wish those people the best of luck, and then just take a break for a few minutes to clear my head every time that happens.
Man that's tough.  I'm not really sure what to think of mortality.  I always consider life being finding the fun of life while you have it/before dying but there are a lot of hard times and I think being able to find happiness anyway is a good trait.  I wouldn't so much consider your actual job or career relevant in this case at all.  There will be arguments of how much one must work or give to the community but the portion each person does changes in value radically.  What matters is the overall form of humanity and that it is leading in a positive direction.  I don't consider myself significant and I wasn't born into a significant role so I will live contently while giving what I reasonably have as a person.

Just being emotionally moved is a great thing.  I fear death as well, and would ideally enjoy endless fantasy and fiction.  It's kind of dark, but it's pointless to be miserable or unmotivated.  It sends dread to my spine when I see others like so.

Anyway, you should consider finding a good hobby.  My step-Dad has been out of work and just last week he found a job and quit after two days because he wasn't allowed to smoke cigarettes.  But I do find my parents particularly miserable.  I don't know, having a good conversation partner is great too.  I think everything should just click in place.  Well, otherwise...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #57476 on: January 15, 2013, 11:40:07 pm »

Work is work, to a degree.

On the other hand... did you not know what you were going to be doing before hand, JFH? Telemarketing in general is pretty well known to be nothing short of soulcrushing, and stuff targeting the elderly especially so. Even more so when you're trying to sell something to them that they'd normally be getting through, y'know, their doctor or something. I.e. you're basically trying to talk them into an unnecessary buy. That's... kind of a recipe for a fairly unpleasant line of work, right up front.

Do what you got to do to eat, but if you can drum up the energy to job hunt on the side for something more fulfilling/less scummy, I'd say do that. Perhaps with some fervor :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57477 on: January 15, 2013, 11:43:12 pm »

If it helps anything if your bosses allow it, and it is feasible it might help to just push the chair back and stand at your desk while doing your job.

Spoiler: slightghtly rambly (click to show/hide)

Just getting up to stretch your legs helps immensely, it feels great when you've been sitting for a while, and somehow makes the day seem shorter.  I would actually sit for a few hours then do an hour of standing at the desk, worked great.  Can't help you with your other issues though.

P.S. According to my mother who worked in HR, jobs are more willing to hire somebody who is currently employed than somebody who is between jobs.  Claims it shows responsibility, and that those kinds of employees are more likely to give full notice if they DO decide to move on to greener pastures.  So job seeking on the side might actually be worth the trouble.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:48:05 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57478 on: January 16, 2013, 12:03:40 am »

P.S. According to my mother who worked in HR, jobs are more willing to hire somebody who is currently employed than somebody who is between jobs.  Claims it shows responsibility, and that those kinds of employees are more likely to give full notice if they DO decide to move on to greener pastures.  So job seeking on the side might actually be worth the trouble.
...dammit T_T

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57479 on: January 16, 2013, 05:33:05 am »

I have always had a rather accepting relationship with death.

Today i am sad because it feels like the golden ages are ending and we are getting a new tradition to be shallow about. Food tastes terrible. Water is bland. Nothing really lifts me up. Not even the games entertain me anymore. It feels like chores. It feels like i wont ever find a place other than my own lonely tiny spot in existence. Its like i am suffering my own heat death.

Im largely ignored by my peers, guys use me as a tool/encyclopedia and the girl dont even notice me.
Music in its entirety is getting boring. Silence is just as good. Soda tastes bitter and artificial and food is just salty or watery, or god forbid: dry. Fuck chicken and potatoes.

Its all just so gray and unsatisfying, im really loosing my juice :S

Its hard to describe.. Its indescribeable and theese words only give a vague notion of it.
Its all just loosing colour.

I should be terrified, my parents both lost thrir job last year and our economy is a black hole.
People stops talking with me. Friends stop logging on. My future is bleak and strange.

Bah.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?
Pages: 1 ... 3830 3831 [3832] 3833 3834 ... 8167