Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2719 2720 [2721] 2722 2723 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9440018 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #40800 on: December 14, 2011, 08:17:12 pm »

It's Lawyerception.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40801 on: December 14, 2011, 08:22:36 pm »

My dad sent an email to my mother that said he got a really big raise.  My mom thought he meant it and excitedly called me.  We spent a while talking about how I could get some new clothing, easily, for the first time ever.  I fantasized for three hours for having my first new pair of shoes in ten years, shoes that someone hadn't already worn out, clothing someone hadn't already thrown away.  I fantasized about being able to study abroad and to ask for some books I want for Christmas, new, just for fun, and maybe getting an extra textbook or two next time that rolls around, and about not having to think all the time about money.  I fantasized about my parents being able to have a house.  I fantasized about them being able to travel in their old age, just like they've dreamed of for years and years.  I fantasized about getting a computer that wasn't bottom of the line, so that it wouldn't be slow upon purchase, and so that it wouldn't have the external casing falling apart just three years later.

Turns out he was joking.

They say there's still money for me to have new shoes and maybe a piece of clothing or two new, but I understand how it is.  I also understand seeing the "low-income" students at school with new luxury gadgets, new clothing.  I understand that they go to expensive concerts with their friends and can buy new books that they want off the internet, just for fun, and that they get to take supplementary classes when they want.  Just like that.  And they don't seem to always be saying to themselves: "Well, I guess that's for other people, not for me to have.  I can't do that."

I can't take much more of this.  It's not just this.  It's finals week, which is stressing me to the point of physical discomfort.  I'm behind in studying for my math finals and have to stay up late working.  Then I have to talk to Squidhead on Friday about whether or not he gets proprietary rights to touching me.  Then I have to go home and learn how to cook better and pretend to not be disappointed, and I have to study 24/7 for next semester.  Then I have to try to shut down the autism class.

It hurts.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40802 on: December 14, 2011, 08:27:22 pm »

The question is, would any lawyer want to take up a case defending you from another lawyer suing you for not paying your lawyer...?
Truean could take up the case for his payment for his ex-client against himself and lose, thereby getting double payment.

....I think I made myself dizzy with that sentence.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40803 on: December 14, 2011, 08:28:01 pm »

Quote from: DiCaprio
"We need to prosecute deeper. . ."
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40804 on: December 14, 2011, 08:29:43 pm »

I just got notified that I failed ALL my subjects. Somehow. WHAT THE FUCK? Nearly every class I was pulled aside and commended for my writing, because it was uniquely me and not some wrung out action crap or superhero or poorly written furry stuff.

So I don't understand. Oh well, fuck them. I'll still get into the paramedicine course anyway, HOPEFULLY.

Because if I don't my life is just about over. No job, no study, my parents have said if i'm not working or studying then i can GTFO.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40806 on: December 14, 2011, 08:55:14 pm »

I can't take much more of this.  It's not just this.  It's finals week, which is stressing me to the point of physical discomfort.  I'm behind in studying for my math finals and have to stay up late working.  Then I have to talk to Squidhead on Friday about whether or not he gets proprietary rights to touching me.  Then I have to go home and learn how to cook better and pretend to not be disappointed, and I have to study 24/7 for next semester.  Then I have to try to shut down the autism class.
Breathe, take one thing at a time. You'll do fine.

A word of second hand advice about pushy boyfriends (it's got to be legit if it's second hand):
They tend to be afraid that if they don't actually push for it the opportunity for intimacy will pass them by (blame misogynistic dating attitudes). Just say you'll come to them when you're ready.

I have it on good second hand authority that this is good second hand advice.  ;]

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40807 on: December 14, 2011, 09:11:17 pm »

Truean could take up the case for his payment for his ex-client against himself and lose, thereby getting double payment.

....I think I made myself dizzy with that sentence.
Although of course he'll refuse to pay for that too, and he'll have to take up another lawsuit and... oh god...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40808 on: December 14, 2011, 09:20:02 pm »

nope
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 06:59:12 am by Reudh »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #40809 on: December 14, 2011, 09:21:26 pm »

Turns out my spring job won't happen this year.  Lowe's suddenly decided they want to try a year without having a vendor in the garden section for the Seattle area.  So... great, I have to find a different job to help me through school this year.  Ugh.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40810 on: December 14, 2011, 10:21:15 pm »

Basically my graduation from MCTI, a government trade school, in Customer Service, is kind of not worth alot. For all the jobs I trained for, there's approximately one advertised job for my city, and every city around me. Just one each.

No biggy, except I'm once again reduced to living with my disabled Mom who offers only the most perfunctory of functional support, who happens to live in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by people I hate, in what is probably the most economically depressed spot in the entirety of Michigan.

And getting out requires that I get absurdly lucky, or die in a ditch trying.

And I come on here, and I see everyone else struggling with their higher education, and I feel like a dull philistine. I sometimes wonder if I could pursue higher education, I always feel that I could be really educated, and that I have the talent for it, but I've been too plagued my entire life by an abusive family, in a defeatist and servile mindset, with no emotional or any kind of support, piss poor, and the longest string of breakdowns that my teenage prospects got flushed down the drain.

I'm so scared. I always feel like I could die in my sleep everyday, and the whole world would be completely unchanged. I've done nothing noteworthy, attained no fame or infamy, left nothing behind, and would only be dragging my endless regret to hell with me.

I could also comment on the 'nice guys' and relationships thing, but then I remember that I'm so pathetic that I don't have room to even comment.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40811 on: December 14, 2011, 10:43:22 pm »

It's really never too late to get an education. It's not necessarily easy, of course, but it'll make you a more interesting person even aside from the professional benefits. Even the people who do it later in life and stumble a lot in the process usually come out better than if they hadn't.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40812 on: December 14, 2011, 10:54:21 pm »

Being sick is far from fun, and the week before finals is the second-worst time to have it happen. I came home early today, thinking I would be more productive while working on the same thing at home. I spent an hour feebly making and eating lunch, and then slept for two hours. Then I stayed in bed for three more hours, illness day-dreaming of Tetris. Nothing but Tetris in my mind, for three hours, lacking the mental readiness to get up. And now I'm even more behind on my projects due on Friday. I should still be able to get them done tomorrow night, though, if I actually work.

On another note, All Quiet on the Western Front is quite a good book; the end is very sad.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #40813 on: December 14, 2011, 11:12:03 pm »

Every morning I have to wake up, take a look around, and realize that, someday, I will die, and this world will no longer be blessed with my glorious presence.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #40814 on: December 14, 2011, 11:13:20 pm »

Basically my graduation from MCTI, a government trade school, in Customer Service, is kind of not worth alot. For all the jobs I trained for, there's approximately one advertised job for my city, and every city around me. Just one each.
Your fears are entirely normal.  People who want to make an impact in the world are the ones who worry about NOT making that impact.  How you go about reaching that point... well for myself, I decided to go back to school and get a second degree.  My first is in Creative Writing, the second will be in Video Game Art Design.  But I wouldn't recommend this route for everyone o_O  Tons of people are going back to school for second degrees these days, and that only makes me worry about the future.  The workforce is already flooded with experienced, educated people looking for jobs.  Soon, the workforce will have lots of extremely educated people.  And how will the "mildly" educated people compete?  It's a snowball.  It can only get worse.
Pages: 1 ... 2719 2720 [2721] 2722 2723 ... 8167