Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9456417 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #10065 on: August 16, 2010, 02:48:46 am »

The use of the word fag is what was the issue here, not the use of 4chan parlance. I don't agree with Toady's response but at the very least I can see it's not a big deal. At all.

Like, even a little bit.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10066 on: August 16, 2010, 02:50:22 am »

Where's Duke when you need him?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10067 on: August 16, 2010, 03:12:22 am »

Sunday nights always make me depressed.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #10068 on: August 16, 2010, 03:24:40 am »

I'm not sure how to resize pixelated images in Paint.NET without making them look fuzzy.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10069 on: August 16, 2010, 03:32:38 am »

I'm not sure how to resize pixelated images in Paint.NET without making them look fuzzy.

Change 'smooth' to 'pixalated'.

TheBroodyMoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of men; Slayer of /hench/ men
    • View Profile
« Reply #10070 on: August 16, 2010, 03:40:45 am »

I tend to think of most of the slang out of 4chan as word-crutches/lame cop outs for completing thoughts. If you don't have the attention span to say "This person is new to this forum", or "this person does art", you just use "*fag". I understand their use in fast paced Image boards, but this is a forum- its a different sort of culture or should be, in my opinion; People arent just a bunch of "Anons" and its not about cheap "Lulz". There's a community here with reoccurring faces and themes, even if they are just over the internet.

Personally, I detest the use of the "*fag" because its lazy and unoriginal/conformist (non-conformists unite!), not because the word "fag" offends me endlessly. There's a difference in the two usages and, as a "fag" in the pejorative sense, I can tell the difference between the two usages without incident.

I applaud the discouraging of 4chan colloquialisms, but would hardly think it necessary. 

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10071 on: August 16, 2010, 03:54:35 am »

Change 'smooth' to 'pixalated'.
I was trying to use the Resize option under Image, but if I have to do it manually...
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10072 on: August 16, 2010, 03:57:58 am »

The use of the word fag is what was the issue here, not the use of 4chan parlance. I don't agree with Toady's response but at the very least I can see it's not a big deal. At all.

Like, even a little bit.
Which has little to do with the fact that the post in question (if it is indeed the deleted post), would have been deleted not because it used an internet dialect, but because of superfluous similarities to other words in more common dialects, despite having no semantic connection to them in current parlance.

I tend to think of most of the slang out of 4chan as word-crutches/lame cop outs for completing thoughts. If you don't have the attention span to say "This person is new to this forum", or "this person does art", you just use "*fag". I understand their use in fast paced Image boards, but this is a forum- its a different sort of culture or should be, in my opinion; People arent just a bunch of "Anons" and its not about cheap "Lulz". There's a community here with reoccurring faces and themes, even if they are just over the internet.

Personally, I detest the use of the "*fag" because its lazy and unoriginal/conformist (non-conformists unite!), not because the word "fag" offends me endlessly. There's a difference in the two usages and, as a "fag" in the pejorative sense, I can tell the difference between the two usages without incident.

I applaud the discouraging of 4chan colloquialisms, but would hardly think it necessary. 
Slang is less about "crutches" than it is about compressing complex, frequent concepts into single words that fit a part of speech. One cannot comfortably use a phrase as a noun, adjective, or verb, nor can one perform the same permutations on them. In other cases, it serves as an injoke/identifier, revealing that someone is familiar with/exposed to the same cultural elements as oneself. Slang terms only become a problem when coupled with gross (actual) illiteracy and when they begin replicating existing terms the speakers are merely ignorant of, rather than expanding the language.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10073 on: August 16, 2010, 04:03:14 am »

Like, even a little bit.
Which has little to do with the fact that the post in question (if it is indeed the deleted post), would have been deleted not because it used an internet dialect, but because of superfluous similarities to other words in more common dialects, despite having no semantic connection to them in current parlance.

Well if we're just requoting things then
I don't agree with Toady's response but at the very least I can see it's not a big deal. At all.

Like, even a little bit.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10074 on: August 16, 2010, 04:32:24 am »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10076 on: August 16, 2010, 04:47:34 am »

[knocked off everything but his socks]

Okay, I honestly want to know where that one is from.

My Spanish final exam is in three hours.  I have to be ready to leave in two hours.  I woke up at 9AM (that's yesterday morning for me).  And I hate my job and almost everyone who works there.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10077 on: August 16, 2010, 04:55:10 am »

It's from some stupid anime you would never care about.

Yes these are bitter words.

TheBroodyMoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of men; Slayer of /hench/ men
    • View Profile
« Reply #10078 on: August 16, 2010, 05:32:26 am »

...would have been deleted not because it used an internet dialect, but because of superfluous similarities to other words in more common dialects, despite having no semantic connection to them in current parlance.

The use of "*fag" must, inevitably, reconcile the fact it contains the word "fag"; The term "*fag", despite its wide use, is not known to everyone. As far as common (American) vernacular is concerned "fag" is still a slur. "*fag" is directly derived from that slur, and not the more archaic uses (unless it could otherwise be proven), in keeping with a tradition of friendly/competitive ribbing. People have every right to be offended, even if those grievances are misplaced. I certainly don't see it as offensive, but to say it was "superfluous" is a bit of an exaggeration. It is still the word "fag" with all of its connotations, much the same way you can use the word "gay" or "jerk off" in a playful way, but you run a chance of offending people anyway.

Not to mention, kids are on the site. For all its worth, even if it is misguided, there is a semblance of trying to offer a safe/accessible environment for everyone.

Slang terms only become a problem when coupled with gross (actual) illiteracy and when they begin replicating existing terms the speakers are merely ignorant of, rather than expanding the language.

Yes, in other words, slang working as a crutch for comprehension.

The gist of my post was I don't feel "*fag" offers much in the way of expansion of the language and in fact hinders it.

My (admittedly limited- "newfag") experiences with the phrase "*fag" has seen it used to the exclusion of other, equally applicable, vocabulary and that the bonds between these slang terms and English can become very tenuous.

Also, I generally just cannot tolerate the spirit of 4chan and the sort of vision it promotes of itself, as I have seen it. Its why I come to places like Bay 12 forums. If everyone started acting like a Channer I'd go somewhere else.

Oh, also, I probably have a bias against 4chan, just in general.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10079 on: August 16, 2010, 05:39:16 am »

The general tone of 4chan is much more hurtful and simple than the tones of this forum.
Well, more hurtful if you're not a dwarf or elf, anyways, and who cares about elves?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 8167