Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9454114 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #9480 on: August 07, 2010, 07:38:23 pm »

I would like to see a world run by Armok, for curiosity sake.
Why? Apparently it would be pretty darn boring, seeing as humanity would die out in 80-100 years.

Also, "so if there are any imperatives involved they are about preaching not ****ing" Really? Because I have never felt the urge to preach anything to anyone, and while I can certainly ignore the second imperative, that doesn't change that fact that it's there.

Look, man, considering how lacking his knowledge is in areas that he claims to be an expert in, why would you expect him to actually know anything about reproduction? Seriously, it's Armok. Let's all ignore his posts, that way the world is a happier place.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9481 on: August 07, 2010, 07:39:50 pm »

Mostly, I hope to be an inspiring professor--everything my professors have been for me, and more.  I suppose that they've inspired me to inspire others =)

Meh.  I used to teach the other kids how to read and do arithmetic when I was in kindergarten.  I guess the pedagogical bent never really went away.

I loved math in elementary and middle school, but in high school, I was very uninspired and falling out of love with it.
Then I had a PHYSICS class and now I LUUUUURVE me math again. It's a lot about the teacher, but it also is about the presentation. Math class is abstract. It has some word problems, but it's very abstract concepts. In a physics class, it's ALL "word" problems. You can't protest, "When are we gonna use this in life?" because each problem IS AN EXAMPLE of where you can use this or that in life. It makes you appreciate the function as if it were form.

It seems like hardly anything significant, even intuitive and obvious, but at the same time, it's kind of a brain opener when you realize that if one guy is going 5 MPH and the other guy is going 10 MPH, it's the same as if the first guy were standing still and the second guy was going 5 MPH. Frames of reference and all that.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #9482 on: August 07, 2010, 07:41:39 pm »

Seriously, it's Armok. Let's all ignore his posts, that way the world is a happier place.

This. Just this.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9483 on: August 07, 2010, 07:48:32 pm »

Upon further reflection, it looks like my brain is not working right today. Please disregard anything I've said the last 12 hour.
Being stupid makes me sad.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9484 on: August 07, 2010, 07:48:55 pm »

It's a lot about the teacher, but it also is about the presentation. Math class is abstract. It has some word problems, but it's very abstract concepts.

Thank you for the advice =)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #9485 on: August 07, 2010, 07:50:40 pm »

Upon further reflection, it looks like my brain never works right. Please disregard anything I ever say.
Being stupid makes me sad.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9486 on: August 07, 2010, 07:52:49 pm »

Okay, now we can stop beating up on Armok. This is a joyous occasion.

Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9487 on: August 08, 2010, 12:29:57 am »

I'm sad because all of you are sad.And I'm never sad. Why can't we all have sadness fall off us like water?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9488 on: August 08, 2010, 01:53:02 am »

Why can't we all have sadness fall off us like water?

Dunno, and I sure wish I knew.  I'm sad at the moment because of... well, the usual ex-related stuff.  I realize more and more that he's either a walled city or one of the shallowest individuals I have ever met.  In either case, I've suddenly become able to feel the walls around him, which I never recognized before.  They're the same walls I felt while we were dating.  The relationship I invested so much into was a total joke, from start to finish.  More of a joke than I mentioned last week.  I didn't understand last week.

I end up frightened that the man I'm looking for doesn't exist.  There's no really good reason to believe that, but I fear it all the same.  I'm not looking for some super-handsome, rich, and charming guy, either.  Just curiosity!  That's pretty much it, at this point.  "NEWSFLASH: Honest man found.  Now looking for curious man.  Insufferable bores need not apply."  But how many people in this world have genuine, burning curiosity, anyway?  Are they all like this "everything in moderation" jerk, who can never hear about a good thing but feel a need to cut it down?

What's more, I don't know what the hell I'm doing here talking about it.  Maybe because I'm young and stupid, but at least here I feel I can explain what's going on--and all I want to do is explain.  Find a hole and shout down it "KING MENELAUS HAS ASS'S EARS" or something like that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Glech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9489 on: August 08, 2010, 02:03:19 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9490 on: August 08, 2010, 04:13:24 am »

Dunno, and I sure wish I knew.  I'm sad at the moment because of... well, the usual ex-related stuff.  I realize more and more that he's either a walled city or one of the shallowest individuals I have ever met.  In either case, I've suddenly become able to feel the walls around him, which I never recognized before.  They're the same walls I felt while we were dating.  The relationship I invested so much into was a total joke, from start to finish.  More of a joke than I mentioned last week.  I didn't understand last week.

I end up frightened that the man I'm looking for doesn't exist.  There's no really good reason to believe that, but I fear it all the same.  I'm not looking for some super-handsome, rich, and charming guy, either.  Just curiosity!  That's pretty much it, at this point.  "NEWSFLASH: Honest man found.  Now looking for curious man.  Insufferable bores need not apply."  But how many people in this world have genuine, burning curiosity, anyway?  Are they all like this "everything in moderation" jerk, who can never hear about a good thing but feel a need to cut it down?

What's more, I don't know what the hell I'm doing here talking about it.  Maybe because I'm young and stupid, but at least here I feel I can explain what's going on--and all I want to do is explain.  Find a hole and shout down it "KING MENELAUS HAS ASS'S EARS" or something like that.

Been a while since I've read mythology, but wasn't that King Midas... or perhaps Pinocchio? Either or, it's all Greek to me.

Anyway, I find the internet a good place to shout some things. Unlike yelling to the wind in the forest somewhere, your message is sure to reach living, thinking people... and maybe, if you're lucky, they'll find value in your words. They may even be able to help, like I'm trying to now. Even if not, it's a safe place to voice your opinions, and compare them with a broad base of peoples, and in so doing, better understand what you feel.

When you distance yourself from the thing itself, and think about the internet, we live in a fascinating and wonderful time to be able to converse, think, and "live" our days with people whom we may never meet, or ever have had a chance of meeting. It broadens our window to the world, and brings its people and its ideas closer together than they've ever been in human history.

Anyway, I try to surround myself with curious people... (heh... in more than one sense, actually, since a good number of my friends are quite weird). As such, I can assure you that curious people are out there. If you're referring not just to people who have strong interests, but rather to people who fuel their lives with the thirst to know, or who build their lives around learning, understanding, synthesizing, and knowing, I can rattle off a few from the top of my head. Jacob Bronowski and Carl Sagan were incredible, inspirational men, and I'd put both of them in that category; they had genuine compassion, a thirst to learn, and a desire to share that learning with others... people who lived for everyone, by feeling forward from the brink of the known, into what is to be hoped. To live like that is a personal aspiration of mine, and (perhaps its the idealist in me) but which I feel many others likely share as well. The biggest trouble, I imagine, is finding them. Though I've had little luck in my own search for similar things, I try to be patient, and keep looking and waiting as necessary.

In short, inquisitive and passionate people are out there, so don't despair over one failed trial. It's like an experimental hypothesis disproved; you may not have found the answer you were looking for, but you still come out of the experiment wiser, and more capable to find one that fits what you were looking for in the future.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9491 on: August 08, 2010, 08:38:01 am »

I can. Sometimes I think certain kinds of things are the kinds of things you SHULD be sad over, so i dosn't, thou.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9492 on: August 08, 2010, 08:43:33 am »

Wheeeee! And insomnia strikes again!
Will our hero be able to get just a little bit of sleep?
Find out next week...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: August 08, 2010, 09:53:03 am »

Been a while since I've read mythology, but wasn't that King Midas... or perhaps Pinocchio? Either or, it's all Greek to me.
Midas allright.

It's an odd story because donkey ears were part of the royal regalia in ancient greece (sort of like the crown with the asp and the vulture was part of egyptian regalia)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9494 on: August 08, 2010, 11:12:05 am »

Midas, really?  Then why the hell do I always remember "Menelaus?"  Hmm... must go study more mythology.  Those damnable kings, always getting mixed up :I

Also, Solifuge, thank you for the hope.  I meant the latter sense of curiosity, actually, and it's always good to hear about a few salient examples =)

Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 8167