Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7254 7255 [7256] 7257 7258 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9496338 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #108825 on: November 06, 2016, 12:34:45 pm »

Try as I might, I never manage to reduce my monthly grocery bill.
How have you tried to do so so far?
Honestly, I don't even know where to start.

First place is to track everything you spend. Look at where the money is going so you can identify what you're spending the most on.

Anything that is non-perishable should be bought in large quantities while on sale if possible. Stuff like toothpaste, canned foods, and the like.

Many meals can be made in larger batches with leftovers frozen for later. It's often cheaper to buy a bit more of the ingredients and do it this way rather than getting smaller quantities for each cooked meal. Packaging costs quite a bit, after all.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108826 on: November 06, 2016, 01:16:46 pm »

Errk, if you buy CoD on Windows 10 Store, you can only play against Windows 10 people who got it off the same store. But it's technically supposed to be the same version as the one on Steam. I guess MS really does want to kill steam. But it's backfired hugely for them already: with people demanding refunds because there's no-one to play against.

Can we see here maybe why these platform things keep not working out for Microsoft?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:20:32 pm by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108827 on: November 06, 2016, 01:26:00 pm »

Try as I might, I never manage to reduce my monthly grocery bill.
How have you tried to do so so far?
Honestly, I don't even know where to start.

See if you can substitute ingredients, make things yourself, buy larger sizes of stuff that keeps, and/or find cheaper brands.

Also, note times when you throw food away. That's a big source of waste. Consider putting stuff in the freezer, or buying frozen veggies and the like if you end up wasting vegetables.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:29:24 pm by Reelya »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108828 on: November 06, 2016, 01:35:14 pm »

pretty sure that's how you kill the windows 10 store instead...

Also guys Japa is in India, I'm not sure how much Western style grocery shopping oriented ideas would help him. Though the idea of "keep a running tally (notepad or on your phone) of costs and which item has them" is a pretty universal idea, and a good one.

But things like bulk food? That either might not exist there, or conversely, EVERYTHING is in bulk. Depends on where he buys his food.

/workingoffstereotypes
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:37:03 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108829 on: November 06, 2016, 02:28:05 pm »

The world I want to live in is impossible; the world I have to live in is intolerable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #108830 on: November 06, 2016, 03:02:33 pm »

The world I want to live in is impossible; the world I have to live in is intolerable.

Short of faster than light travel, everything is possible. Never give up.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #108831 on: November 06, 2016, 03:11:50 pm »

I agree up to the "intolerable." I believe this world is tolerable, even enjoyable at times, but the problem of reading fantasy is that it enables us to envision a perfect world where we wish to dwell. There are many novels I've wished to live in, and when I was younger that was Harry Potter. My desire to go to Hogwarts made me really dislike my first tastes of real school after the primary level, because it wasn't magical enough.

And yet, I still had fun. So, there is a point to grim reality and joy in it. It's just more subtle and harder to find than the wonder of waving a wand and conjuring talking tables.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #108832 on: November 06, 2016, 03:54:15 pm »

You want a talking table? I can make you a talking table. :V

(Not that the thing will say anything useful or communicate meaningfully, that's a job for Google AI researchers, haha.)
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #108833 on: November 06, 2016, 04:10:26 pm »

The point is more that it is ineffable, and wonderful. No matter how many times people say science is like magic, I'll always disagree - science almost by definition follows steps based on what is known, whereas I view magic more as the mysterious. You don't necessarily know how it was done, you merely know it was. In this regard, even if the result is the same, they can be labelled science or magic. It's the method that interests me, not the end result.

Although it's true that science may result in wondrous things, they're only wholly wondrous when the how of it is hidden. That's the closest we have to magic.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #108834 on: November 06, 2016, 06:09:08 pm »

I can agree with that. I would say that magic could likely be improved greatly in practicality by an effort to understand its workings, and the impact of science and technology on a civilization is rendered all but meaningless if they are allowed to be mystified, but you do have a point.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #108835 on: November 06, 2016, 06:19:08 pm »

Although it's true that science may result in wondrous things, they're only wholly wondrous when the how of it is hidden
Strongly disagree
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #108836 on: November 06, 2016, 06:50:57 pm »

To me, the most wondrous and intriguing things are not the unknown, but rather the not-completely known. The convenient part is that everything we know falls into this category. We know nothing completely. Sometimes I like to take a mental step back and tear away all of the assumptions and familiarities and patterns that my mind builds between observations in order to function, and see just how weird everything is.

Edit: Geez, this is one hell of a derail.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #108837 on: November 06, 2016, 06:56:15 pm »

From my point of view, the understanding itself is incredibly wonderful. To be able to look at the world and understand the mechanics that make it go is amazing.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #108838 on: November 06, 2016, 07:27:26 pm »

Pointless to complain about, but...

I still hate how every day just slips off into horrible lonely boring grey nothing because I just find these days I barely know anyone. I mean I have owl most of the day, and bean early in it and late in it...

But I still feel kinda... Empty and lonely most of the time. When I can actually enjoy my time with them I'm just dreading the time in-between since that's always when I feel like I'm pretty much leaving what happens to me up to if I can keep myself distracted or not. Usually I can but... I'm still really, really afraid of myself.

I guess I kinda brought this on myself in the end though. If I wasn't such an idiot or an asshole I think I'd still have some friends besides them.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108839 on: November 06, 2016, 07:39:03 pm »

Hell, that's what used to fuck up my sleep schedule. I'd stay up til dawn because I feared that time between going to bed and going to sleep, without distraction from... well, you know.

Sorry, I haven't got anything constructive, just sympathy.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 7254 7255 [7256] 7257 7258 ... 8168