Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1338 1339 [1340] 1341 1342 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15781954 times)

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #20085 on: September 12, 2010, 01:38:34 pm »

It doesn't leave any room for people who describe themselves as asexual.
Wait... How you gonna make a baby with yourself?
You don't make babies at all.
Oh wait that's asexual reproduction, sorry.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20086 on: September 12, 2010, 01:50:28 pm »

I may not know all the backstory behind this, but why?
Why bother to pretend to be somebody you are clearly not, to gain the appreciation of people, which do make fun of the way you talk and look?

I think it's just one of those "formative years" things.  You start being less controlled by your parents, and then you want to make your own choices about how you look and how you act and so on.  I was the only kid in my econ class who was willing to admit that I owned pretty much everything used--or anything used.  I'm also the only person I've ever seen walking around in Chinese blouses.

These choices may all be more "me" than various alternatives, but I can see how my stubbornness to be true to myself has caused me a lot of troubles over the years.  It's caused advantages--for some reason, professors seem to universally think I'm kind of neat--but also disadvantages, because my peers can't get past the wrapping to see what's inside.  It's like... if there's a village, and for some reason, it's a prime raider attack site.  It may be anti-military, but at the same time you can see the reason to raise a militia to protect itself.

I could go buy T-shirts, or I can go along with my plan of learning how to sew myself some old-fashioned blouses, vests, and trousers.  I could let my foundations of knowledge stagnate in hopes of talking a bit less like an encyclopedia, or I can struggle on.  Superficial choices, to be sure, but they're still choices--and now is the time to choose.

As someone who once compromised their integrity for the sake of fitting in, I can tell you that you might very soon seek to undo it, since the interaction it brought me was pretty shallow. Even so, it helped me learn a lot of things about how to improve the way I communicate and relate to others, so it can be a worthwhile thing.

I'm going to take a guess, and assume that your goal here is to better get along with people at large, not attract so much negative attention, or not be known first as "that strange girl" and moreso as any of the other complex layers that make you up. The trouble is, everyone I've ever met has had an outward shell like that; social pressures push us to simplify ourselves as some sort of Archetype, because it gives people something to group us with... though it's encouraged moreso in limited groups (the workplace, school, within teams), where nuclear groups of friends form. We adopt certain mannerisms and sayings, and we select a few of our interests that are easiest to relate to others, and usually make a big point of them, and so on.

It's possible that you've just made a point of rebelling from the norm enough that "that weird girl" is the Archetype you've built for yourself. If you want that to change, just try to take a step back, and think about what you'd like to be seen as by other people, and what sort of things you'd like to draw to you. Others aren't going to immediately see all the layers that make up your personality (and more often than not, they never will unless you share them), so spend some time thinking of a few things that you want to be known for, and the sort of interactions you want to encourage... and from there, brainstorm ways to encourage it.

Eh, rereading this, I don't know if I've really said anything here, or just reiterated things you already were doing... but maybe there's something valuable there. If you didn't mind being really bluntly candid with people around you, but you could always ask people what their first impressions of you are, and what they appreciate about you as a friend.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #20087 on: September 12, 2010, 02:12:36 pm »

Posting from the hospital. Whee! I can stay in touch it seems. I just need to sneak steam on this thing now.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #20088 on: September 12, 2010, 02:36:02 pm »

Why are you in the hospital?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #20089 on: September 12, 2010, 02:39:01 pm »

Visiting.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20090 on: September 12, 2010, 02:43:42 pm »

Why won't they let you have steam?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #20091 on: September 12, 2010, 02:44:58 pm »

I just didn't want to put it on the main hard drive. I put it on my external.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20092 on: September 12, 2010, 03:04:06 pm »

Cereal Sunday, heh.

Time to bust out the Ghost Busters Cereal then. (I wish)

Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20093 on: September 12, 2010, 03:28:37 pm »

This made me happy today:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20094 on: September 12, 2010, 03:40:49 pm »

I think it's just one of those "formative years" things.  You start being less controlled by your parents, and then you want to make your own choices about how you look and how you act and so on.  I was the only kid in my econ class who was willing to admit that I owned pretty much everything used--or anything used.  I'm also the only person I've ever seen walking around in Chinese blouses.

These choices may all be more "me" than various alternatives, but I can see how my stubbornness to be true to myself has caused me a lot of troubles over the years.  It's caused advantages--for some reason, professors seem to universally think I'm kind of neat--but also disadvantages, because my peers can't get past the wrapping to see what's inside.  It's like... if there's a village, and for some reason, it's a prime raider attack site.  It may be anti-military, but at the same time you can see the reason to raise a militia to protect itself.

I could go buy T-shirts, or I can go along with my plan of learning how to sew myself some old-fashioned blouses, vests, and trousers.  I could let my foundations of knowledge stagnate in hopes of talking a bit less like an encyclopedia, or I can struggle on.  Superficial choices, to be sure, but they're still choices--and now is the time to choose.

Been there, done that.
Learned from the experience and decided to stick to my true self.
But well, everyone should decide for themself, how they want to live.

Oh my, I thought metaphors were there, to make things easier understandable.
Took me several attempts as a non-native speaker to understand it (or maybe I'm just slow) :P

From what I've experienced, it's a waste of time to conform with people, who are not willing to look past your appearance, as they are not interested in what's behind it.
Of course, I can't (yet) speak for surroundings like universities, where you have a completely different level of education.

I had several occasions where people told me to wear/buy something, because I would "look good in it".
When I give in, I get this constant feeling of insecurity, like if I was denying who I really am.

Same goes with the way I speak.
I'm constantly using "High German", up to the point, where I feel weird, when trying to use slang.

Even if it sounds silly, I see my identity (which includes the way I dress, as well as the way I talk/behave)  as a shield and feel quite defenseless if deprived of it.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20095 on: September 12, 2010, 05:20:37 pm »

I have the sudden compulsion to fire up GraphicsGale and draw LS-001. Hmm...
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20096 on: September 12, 2010, 06:23:54 pm »

I have a job for this year.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20097 on: September 12, 2010, 06:26:25 pm »

Doing what?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20098 on: September 12, 2010, 06:29:54 pm »

Running around selling peanuts.

But now, its in a air conditioned building.

Fuck yeah.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 1338 1339 [1340] 1341 1342 ... 13325