Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96232 times)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: Survival Challenge - Signups Are Open!
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2009, 03:09:35 pm »

* 2 cats

TREASON!

Just kidding.

Personally since we have two picks then two dedicated miners with secondary skills would help quickly dig out shelter and will prove useful later as unbelievably agile legendaries for megaprojects. Also I would suggest one dwarf with Proficient Buildings Designer as secondary it helps get some early happy thoughts and a skill that is hard to train. (Ditch one of the craft skills for this? most of them are easy to train using moods or spamming low quality crafts and then dumping them)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:21:28 pm by Toady Two »

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2009, 05:15:00 pm »

(embark suggestions)

I'll agree with this. I usually bring many more seeds along with if I lack a proficient grower (which most often I do, for brewing/cooking) but if the grower IS proficient then this is acceptable.

And a problem with the Embark Now! is that, like previous posters have said, it can lead to savescumming for a "perfect" Play Now due to its randomness. If we were to go along with that action then I'd suggest the TC or someone similar does a Play Now! and posts the contents of the embark so that it's fair.

So I'd rather not have a straight-up Play Now!, if there was anything for me to omit. However, in the end I place my vote on Albedo's suggestions.
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2009, 07:41:17 pm »

I was under the impression that Sol' would have a single embark pre-gen'd, to guarantee that the starting embark mix (and starting 7 dwarf profiles) were all the same - but I could be wrong.

Confirmed Competitors:
  • nil - confirmed w/ input
  • Vieto - confirmed w/ input
  • Toady Two - confirmed w/ input
  • Glacial Eidolon - confirmed w/ input
  • Slogo - confirmed w/ input

We have had some positive input... 

Once we have a few more confirm with their thoughts, I'll repost the whole mix, but the current suggestions are leaning toward the above with...

* plus 11 Plump Helmets
   * a few less Dimple Cup seeds (~4?) and a few more PH seeds (~10?)
   * a couple more copper ore, maybe some cassiterite ore (if available)
   * some b-coal IF available
   * 2 wardogs & 4 dogs

(The bags are for seeds, or a start toward glassmaking ~if~ sand is present.

Also, I feel that even without a 2nd embark miner, a 2nd pick is important.  If, somehow, that is lost, it's a dealbreaker - and an idle dwarf can always be trained quickly, and so is worth the 20 spent.  But that's just my starting premise - the competitors can decide if they all feel strongly to remove it.)

1) Miner -> Miner/Wrestler
   2) Mason -> Mason/Axedwarf

As for the Craft (tbd), we currently have 3 proposals:

7a) (2nd) Miner/_____ (i.5 votes?)
   7b) radical change: Weaponsmith/____, (and Mechanic/Cook & Armorer/Brewer)
   7c) Building Designer/_____

(And a & c could certainly be combined.)

These are all still on the table for discussion until we hear from everyone.

* 2 cats

TREASON!

It's a masters' "survival challenge" - all kinds of things to survive.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:57:57 pm by Albedo »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2009, 11:27:06 pm »

Confirm me to compete and go along with the embarky stuff.

I can't believe you guys are arguing over what kind of craft to dump points in for a survival challenge.

"Urist, we have no food or trees on this godforsaken glacier, how on earth are we to survive!"
"Logum, you know I can't think without a healthy pile of skull totems at my feet! Someone make me some crafts so I can keep us from dying!"

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 01:25:42 am »

I'm not a fan of military skills @ embark, so yeah. I generally have two or three dedicated miners, but if the consensus is for one, I have little choice.

One grower is plenty, preferably a proficient mason for high-quality dining room furniture.

Actually, screw it altogether. 'Play Now', here we go!
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2009, 01:53:45 am »

I can't believe you guys are arguing over what kind of craft to dump points in for a survival challenge.

I can't believe you can call this "arguing".  Been on the internet long?  :D

Rather than shove something down your collective throats, Sol' asked for a consensus to be reached.  We're doing that (and have, perhaps, almost finished), even if some don't care one way or the other.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2009, 04:31:27 am »

I confirm my participation.

For the embark profile, "Play now!" should be enough. I want FUN! :D
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2009, 06:42:17 am »

I'm not a fan of military skills @ embark, so yeah. I generally have two or three dedicated miners, but if the consensus is for one, I have little choice.
Don't forget that Mining is in fact used to swing the pick at enemies as well.

As for full-skilled 7 plus anvil, axes, picks...you can (qualitied steel tools even!) just have to DIY. *does an embark to remember just how to exactly* Though usually it's 5/5*5, and 5/1/1/1/1/1*2 for the leader and the supplier.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Skills:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Considering, but I'm not sure, my computer has been unreliable of late.

OH, and since it's survival...material for a quick well (née rope: the blocks, mechanism and bucket are easy from rock/wood) might be worth considering.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2009, 10:01:39 am »

I wholeheartedly agree that no 2nd pick is a deal breaker. Not only is it incredibly useful for digging early on (which we may need to do fast) but it will also gives us something else to swing at enemies right away (also important).

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2009, 10:03:23 am »

Fair enough! :D

I'm just poking fun at the folks eagerly preparing for the "survival challenge".

Embark Now! Let fate guide us! 7 naked soapmakers vs skeletal hippos and a resident dragon!

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2009, 11:08:26 am »

Fair enough! :D

I'm just poking fun at the folks eagerly preparing for the "survival challenge".

Embark Now! Let fate guide us! 7 naked soapmakers vs skeletal hippos and a resident dragon!

The cat will be chased by the Hippo/dragon onto ice, the ice melts, they all drown. 3 problems solved.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2009, 11:20:35 am »

Hmm hmm hmm hmm hmmmmmm.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2009, 02:39:04 pm »

COUNT ME IN...!!!

Please? :P As for the embark profile, I don't really have a preference. Maybe Embark Now would be best?
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2009, 09:37:09 am »

...Maybe Embark Now would be best?

Now that would be a survival test.

I can judge
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2009, 01:42:29 pm »

*shudder*

I always get chills whenever I see somebody else's embark profile. It's never what I would want to take.

This is heavily map dependent, but I don't like the inclusion of an iron anvil. Depending on how fast hostile critters beset the embark party, a steel axe might be pretty handy to have right from the start.

If the autumn dwarf caravan doesn't bring an anvil, tough shit. Prove you're a DF master by improvising. Or just wait for the human caravan in the summer. Depending on the savagery of the map, weapons being immediately available would be far more important than the ability to immediately forge them.

If you're really hurting for weapons and armor, you can trade for them with the dwarven caravan, or confiscate them from the caravan guards. In fact, this would probably be far preferable than embarking with a lot of random stone and ore and other junk to make the weapons and armor yourself.

I'd have to know more about the map before I could give any opinion with any certainty, so I'm just speculating at this point. If the map is large enough to give some breathing room between the dwarves and the hostile critters, then bringing an anvil along would work just fine. If it's on a 2x2, then bringing weapons along would probably be more important.

Additionally, dogs can be trivially trained to war dogs right from embark. We might as well take eight dogs, butcher four for the meat and leather, sew the leather into bags, and then train the other four into war dogs. That would save us on the leather or cloth we'd need for the bags.

The rest of the embark looks fine. I'd really need to see what the map is before I can say what skills I'd want the dwarves to have.

You know, Albedo, from how interested you are in this, I think you would like it far better as a competitor than a judge.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 52