Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325358 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #480 on: September 05, 2009, 06:32:05 pm »

I think this may have been reported before, however, I've found a minor glitch involving clipping and bridges.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 06:33:45 pm by smjjames »

Grey Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 06, 2009, 05:12:29 am »

Down to 980 polys. texturing things saves a lot of processing power, unfortunatly, some things can't be avoided. I can't see a way of getting the bow shop down below 2400, but the real stickler now is the kitchen, which stubbornly refuses to go below 2800 without looking like a load of cubes thrown together.

Ideas

Actually, I've been doing most of those suggestions off the back, but I found some redundant geometry - apparently I'd made artifact quality door handles - each one was something like 150 polys! I also went for a square cooking pot, which seems more dwarfy to me anyway.

946 polys. and doesn't look that much different.

The dammed cross bow shop is getting bumped back, and next on my list is the still - 2260 polys with each barrel being 480 or so. 

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 06, 2009, 10:05:57 am »

Square cooking pots?

I guess the dwarves may be masterful armorsmiths and such, but when it comes to cookware, they have some things to learn. Oh well, I guess nobody's perfect.

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 06, 2009, 11:09:46 am »

I'm trying to make some way to distinguish my roofs from my floors. I rembered that in an earleir version, up stairs with no down made gently sloping tiles, so I tried in this fortress. This was the result.

Anyone know how to make it look more like a roof?
Dude. Your dwarves have solar panels!

"That's right Urist, no more being sick every time you walk the surface, we're going to kill the sun. We're going to bleed it dry!"
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 06, 2009, 12:36:29 pm »

I'm trying to make some way to distinguish my roofs from my floors. I rembered that in an earleir version, up stairs with no down made gently sloping tiles, so I tried in this fortress. This was the result.

Anyone know how to make it look more like a roof?
Dude. Your dwarves have solar panels!

"That's right Urist, no more being sick every time you walk the surface, we're going to kill the sun. We're going to bleed it dry!"

Those poor dwarves have such a limited understanding of non-magma heat/light sources.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 06, 2009, 01:39:39 pm »

thought i'd contribute with a view of my dining room
Also baboonanza you are so awesome for making this. It runs hella smooth, looks beautiful and is fairly intuitive.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 06, 2009, 02:21:57 pm »

can we get this to work for D16 soon? please :'(

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #487 on: September 06, 2009, 04:32:34 pm »

Is that gold Randominality? Please tell me it's gold...

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 06, 2009, 08:40:03 pm »

Is that gold Randominality? Please tell me it's gold...

Well what would be the point in a dining room if it was'nt made of gold! Yeh the plan was to make the whole room gold and eventually even the furniture, but i could be bothered to keep looking for gold veins, and i havent really played DF in ages so it remains half done.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 06, 2009, 08:57:26 pm »

Oh yea, does anybody else have an issue with metal statues not showing up? I have this cool looking bismuth bronze artifact statue, but it doesn't show up in VF. I checked with a microline statue to be sure that they are showing up and they show up okay, checked with a copper statue and it also doesn't show up.

So either the metal texture is broken for statues or the texture hasn't been applied yet.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 07, 2009, 12:32:14 am »

Oh yea, does anybody else have an issue with metal statues not showing up? I have this cool looking bismuth bronze artifact statue, but it doesn't show up in VF. I checked with a microline statue to be sure that they are showing up and they show up okay, checked with a copper statue and it also doesn't show up.

So either the metal texture is broken for statues or the texture hasn't been applied yet.
That or artifact items don't display properly.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 07, 2009, 07:57:48 am »

That or artifact items don't display properly.

No, it's not because it's an artifact, I checked with an ordinary copper statue (about as ordinary as you can get, base quality) and that didn't show up either. I'm pretty sure VF doesn't check the quality of objects.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 07, 2009, 09:04:22 am »

Actually, I've been doing most of those suggestions off the back, but I found some redundant geometry - apparently I'd made artifact quality door handles - each one was something like 150 polys! I also went for a square cooking pot, which seems more dwarfy to me anyway.

[[picture]]

946 polys. and doesn't look that much different.

The dammed cross bow shop is getting bumped back, and next on my list is the still - 2260 polys with each barrel being 480 or so. 

Looks fantastic.  Hope I'm not just noise.  I'm just trying to help because I've pretty much always been working under polygon restrictions.

I could take a look at the crossbow shop.  If you're fine with this, I'll take a look at what formats Wings supports.  .3ds is always a fallback, but the format loses so much data it might not be worth it.

For the barrels, you could try doing them the way they're done in games nowadays.  Just a convex cylinder with a barrel map on it.

*Quick check in Wings*

My, but that's a lot of triangles.  I see why you're having trouble now.

I can get barrels down to 96 triangles by using a 12-sided cylinder with three sections to make it convex and a flat surface for the top.  I could probably reduce it slightly more by removing the bottom cap and standing them all up, but any open barrels aren't going to help any.

Using a 16-sided cylinder with 4-segment convexity and recessed endcaps, my triangle count jumps to over 280, which is of course not helpful.

[edit]

188 polys, and a good deal more detail than is probably needed.  First to go would probably be the bottom(which would be against the floor and not ever seen), followed by the recessed end caps, which brings it down to 82 triangles.(41 quads, which is what everybody actually works in)[/edit]
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:12:24 am by Volfram »
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 07, 2009, 01:46:21 pm »

Oh yea, does anybody else have an issue with metal statues not showing up?
Yes. My Black Bronze statues don't shop up either, though the Iron and Green Glass ones do.

I'm guessing it's a material thing.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Grey Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 08, 2009, 01:43:40 am »

Looks fantastic.  Hope I'm not just noise.  I'm just trying to help because I've pretty much always been working under polygon restrictions.

I could take a look at the crossbow shop.  If you're fine with this, I'll take a look at what formats Wings supports.  .3ds is always a fallback, but the format loses so much data it might not be worth it.

For the barrels, you could try doing them the way they're done in games nowadays.  Just a convex cylinder with a barrel map on it.

*Quick check in Wings*

My, but that's a lot of triangles.  I see why you're having trouble now.

I can get barrels down to 96 triangles by using a 12-sided cylinder with three sections to make it convex and a flat surface for the top.  I could probably reduce it slightly more by removing the bottom cap and standing them all up, but any open barrels aren't going to help any.

Using a 16-sided cylinder with 4-segment convexity and recessed endcaps, my triangle count jumps to over 280, which is of course not helpful.

[edit]

188 polys, and a good deal more detail than is probably needed.  First to go would probably be the bottom(which would be against the floor and not ever seen), followed by the recessed end caps, which brings it down to 82 triangles.(41 quads, which is what everybody actually works in)[/edit]

I'll export what I've got to .OBJ as soon as I have a chance (the inlaws are round for the next few days, so no promises) with the textures in the same folder, then people can have a look, I have no problem with someone who knows what their doing taking a look - I'm entirely self taught through the powers of the internet tutorial!
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 90