Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325385 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #465 on: September 04, 2009, 08:54:09 pm »

Thats one heck of a megaproject......

I really gotta do one of my own....

Anyways, I agree with showing liquid flows better, right now they just look like chunks. I tried it once, but it ended up looking like.. for lack of a better word...chunky water.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #466 on: September 04, 2009, 09:02:23 pm »

Kay-O! Inquisitor Saturn. Epically done.

Boatveiled = BING!

BTW, what are the odds of adding steam in there as well? Both water and magma, that is.

EDIT:
And mist, can't forget mist.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:00:29 pm by Itnetlolor »

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 04, 2009, 10:44:42 pm »

problem is: before falling liquids can be modeled in VF, Toady has to set them up in DF, seeing as the renderer can't tell the difference in a fluid's motion
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 04, 2009, 11:02:05 pm »

Actually, it can probably be easily done.  Make it so magma or water that is standing alone and/or at the edge of the liquid grouping has vertical sides, and then apply noise to that, and it might look quite good.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 04, 2009, 11:17:58 pm »

Thanks. Yes, those are dwarf faces spewing magma into an evil ocean. The island was made by pouring magma into the water. The pouring system was then made to supply magma to the forges under the seafloor, and later set up to pour our the mouths. Not-so-obvious is the skull where the magma goes in. There are statues on top of those "candles." Thinking about filling the giant empty space inside with a large fountain.

Yes yes, fey mood, legendary basalt fortress, encircled with bands of microcline, decorated with marble and alunite, etc.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 04, 2009, 11:21:27 pm »

Actually, it can probably be easily done.  Make it so magma or water that is standing alone and/or at the edge of the liquid grouping has vertical sides, and then apply noise to that, and it might look quite good.
oh, say if it detects no walls nearby it becomes a mid air dense mist, varying in cloud density from 1-7. detecting an adjacent wall makes a stream of varying thickness and detecting multiple walls makes it fit a shape similar to a ramp. is that what you had in mind? seems pretty complex...
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 05, 2009, 12:40:12 am »

oh, say if it detects no walls nearby it becomes a mid air dense mist, varying in cloud density from 1-7. detecting an adjacent wall makes a stream of varying thickness and detecting multiple walls makes it fit a shape similar to a ramp. is that what you had in mind? seems pretty complex...

I was going to say that if it has no floor under it, render it vertically, rather than horizontally.  The tricky part would be figuring out where to put the "bottom" side.  On a wall if there is one, or a think-to-thick "rope" if there are no walls.

Grey Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 05, 2009, 01:12:42 am »

a quick update.

Down to 980 polys. texturing things saves a lot of processing power, unfortunatly, some things can't be avoided. I can't see a way of getting the bow shop down below 2400, but the real stickler now is the kitchen, which stubbornly refuses to go below 2800 without looking like a load of cubes thrown together.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 05, 2009, 01:34:46 am »

Nice.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 05, 2009, 01:49:22 am »

Shame that the major portion of the structure will be made out of rock salt.

There's good tourism money in that apparently.

I did mention that it's a pump tower right?  I'm holding back 12 pumps worth of water with salt.
(Progress: cross shaped 12x pump tower has reached +17, with a roof-cap on the highest level, +18.  Water has reached +12; ran out of coke for a while, so I was unable to produce more pump components)

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 05, 2009, 02:55:56 am »

Behold: Boatveiled.

:O Holy crap. That's awesome!
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 05, 2009, 05:10:41 am »

I did mention that it's a pump tower right?  I'm holding back 12 pumps worth of water with salt.
(Progress: cross shaped 12x pump tower has reached +17, with a roof-cap on the highest level, +18.  Water has reached +12; ran out of coke for a while, so I was unable to produce more pump components)
can please you post a slice view?

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 05, 2009, 10:32:30 am »

Down to 980 polys. texturing things saves a lot of processing power, unfortunatly, some things can't be avoided. I can't see a way of getting the bow shop down below 2400, but the real stickler now is the kitchen, which stubbornly refuses to go below 2800 without looking like a load of cubes thrown together.

Very nice.

Personally, I think you could get away with a 12 or 16-sided cylinder for the stool seat, and as far down as 6 or 8 sides for each of the legs.

For the kitchen, I assume you've already got the knife rack, the cabinets, the stove top, and the cutting board reduced to texture maps.  I'm also assuming the knife has been moved from stuck in the cutting board to a texture map lying on top of it.  If this is the case, I'd say try dropping the pot on the stove and the chimney to 12-sided and the water bucket should probably be 24-sided.  If the handle on the bucket is a tube, I think you could replace it with simply an arc made of 16 quads(double-sided, maybe).

For the bwyer's shop...  Yeah, that one looks hard.  The easiest way, of course, is to make everything except... what is that, a grinder? the vice, and the stool into texture maps, but the crossbow risks looking bad.

You might make the crossbow out of one tapered rectangle(the stock), a blocky loop(the stirrup), and a 4-segment arc(the bow).  For the round parts, I'd just gank the stool as I decribed it above, reduce the vice to a cube clipping into the countertop, and change the grinder to be all 16-sided cylinders with rectangular blocks for the handle.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 10:34:34 am by Volfram »
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 05, 2009, 10:50:24 am »

can please you post a slice view?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 05, 2009, 03:50:10 pm »

Found a slight bug with regards to ramps.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As you can see, they prefer to ramp up to nearby stairs (a technically invalid (unwalkable) ramp) over the nearby wall (valid ramp).
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 90