Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How badly do we need a 'PC <--> NPC' button?

This release! Du eet RIET NAO
- 3 (42.9%)
Next update is fine.
- 2 (28.6%)
Don't want it.
- 2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Cinnamon Rolls: Version 2.0 pre-release available  (Read 22919 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: Cinnamon Rolls: Version 1.1.6 Now with Die roller!
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2010, 03:38:59 pm »

Hza for generic supportive statements. They make my day.

Okay I'm not feeling motivated to do my Comp Sci homework (since it's not due for 5 days and I have a tutorial session to work on it in 1.5 hours anyway), so let's see if I can get items up and running today.

EDIT: Okay as far as I can tell, item (and skill, and health) saving is now up for player characters. I'm trying to make loading work. It involves way too many 'if' clauses to be considered elegant, but it will work perfectly.

EDIT 2: Make that, "too many spare functions", but it becomes more elegant with each passing minute as I run it through in my head.

EDIT 3: Saving and loading of pretty much everything is up for players... with bugs. Involving saving skills as skills AS WELL AS items. Waugh.

EDIT 4: The bug has mutated. Whenever you load an item or skill, it duplicates the last item or skill you worked with. Which means that my player named 'mook' now has a skill named jackrabbiting (which allows one to jackrabbit), as well as 5 items which are each named jackrabbiting (and all of which serve the purpose of allowing their user to jackrabbit). Also he has a bunch of widgits in random item slots that 'do something'. Suffice to say THIS IS A PROBLEM.

EDIT 5: Okay, you know how doctors tell you to always finish your medication, even if you feel better before you run out, to prevent superbugs? I HAVE ONE OF THOSE SUPERBUGS IN MY CODE AND IT CAN REPRODUCE ASEXUALLY. The lists aren't updating often enough, the variable curMode isn't being reassigned properly, the boxes aren't clearing their text out (or putting the new text in when they should, unless it's the first thing you've selected that session), and to top it off, my Comp Sci tutorial starts in 10 minutes so I have to stop programming this. ARGH.
(if this rant didn't make any sense, that's a good thing, because experiencing this superbug first-hand would drive you batshit nuts.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 04:51:43 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2010, 01:07:19 am »

Ouch, hope your Comp Sci thing didn't suffer.

Consider running a virus/malware/HDD scanner just in case it is an extrenal force encroaching on your code.

I have never really programmed anything of any complexity, but so my advice is worth about as much as a bean that fell off of the hill and was stepped on a few times, but is it possible that this is a file handling issue and you could try closing or opening files more often...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2010, 02:07:43 pm »

I think my problem is in my loading style... some ListIndexes were being set to -1 (by me, for saving purposes) at inopportune moments. Anyway, I should get it figured out during my next programming session (probably Friday, during D&D).
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2010, 05:39:16 pm »

Isn't it great when you can do al your free-time projects at once!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2010, 06:02:49 pm »

I squished the bug during D&D today!

I had a function call to my save() subroutine, which was AFTER the ListIndex changed, so basically whenever I switched to a new item slot to edit, it would save the OLD item in the NEW slot.

It's fixed now though. Woo!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I added a feature... if you only have one saved game, hitting the load button will automatically load that game instead of forcing you to go through the loading form and select it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 06:40:27 pm by shoruke »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2010, 08:10:44 pm »

Nice, that should save a lot of irritation for single RTD house-holds...
Read the First Post!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2010, 08:19:33 pm »

Most specifically MY single-RTD household, since I need to do rapid-fire loading during development. I had originally planned for this features to be one of the last things to put in before the release, but I got sick of the extra clicking.

Next programming session is likely to be Sunday; I plan to finish off item/skill loading/saving for NPCs/locations. Next session after that is going to be a crapload of copy/pasting for the print button, then I can do the first overhauled release. Woo!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2010, 11:23:28 pm »

This sounds amazing. I've just taken over a very complex game and this sounds like it'll make it tons easier.

Some suggestions:
Containers that can hold items
Multiple inventories for holding, wearing, equipped, etc.
Effects - broken leg, etc.
Customizable skill levels (assign names like "Dabbling x", assign exp values)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:57:24 pm by Cheddarius »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2010, 11:52:58 pm »

Huh... I didn't think the previous version had a bug like that... Also, thanks for the suggestions, I'll put them on the OP.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 01, 2010, 08:48:23 pm »

Thanks!
Er, one thing I found: you can't input too much text into an item description in an inventory - it'll just cut off a bunch of it. This is a problem with things where you have several lines of "+1 to X".

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2010, 10:21:03 pm »

Indeed, I can imagine someone wantong to put the entire description of Planepacked in there...
Read the First Post!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2010, 12:35:03 pm »

Apologies for not getting any programming done on Sunday... or since then... but there is still good news!

I've had an idea! If I store peoples' items and skills in more text files, and give the characters REFERENCES to their stuff instead of storing it on their person, I'll be using a lot less memory at any given moment... which means I can make everything bigger! If I change everything around like this, you'll be able to have loads more items and skills per person, plus a bunch of extra text-space. So you actually WILL be able to copy-paste the entire description of Planepacked into your locations.

The downside is, I'll have to go through all the code I've done so far, and edit a bunch of stuff, and add a bunch of other new stuff... So, I'll leave this point up to a vote. Do you want me to:

A) Do the stuff-memory overhaul now and include it in this release, taking a bunch of extra time to do so, or...
B) Implement the new stuff-memory stuff in the NEXT release, so that I can release a (completely non-version-compatible) version with the new interface sooner?

Voting occurs at the top of the page, discussions take place in the forum part.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2010, 10:57:53 pm »

I would tend to do the memory overhaul now so that everything you write will be compatible with it...
Read the First Post!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2010, 09:29:24 pm »

No. Features first, then the overhaul. It has been TOO LONG since an update.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2010, 09:56:52 pm »

I agree with RAM. If we put in features first, it'll be even more too long till the next one.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16