Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How badly do we need a 'PC <--> NPC' button?

This release! Du eet RIET NAO
- 3 (42.9%)
Next update is fine.
- 2 (28.6%)
Don't want it.
- 2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Cinnamon Rolls: Version 2.0 pre-release available  (Read 22912 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Cinnamon Rolls: Version 1.1.6 Now with Die roller!
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2010, 06:23:46 pm »

Undying praise.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2010, 10:25:56 pm »

Apologies for not getting any programming done today; I have a particularly persistent cold. If it makes you guys feel any better, I didn't go to University today either (to prevent spreading the snot-plague, and to prevent uber-headaches brought on by mixing nasal pressure and forced focus).

Anyway, tomorrow I'll probably get done with characters, at least.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2010, 07:49:05 pm »

Make awesome pixel art for the buttons. I'll be glad to help. 32x32 sound good?

I'm thinking hobo-fire in an oilcan. For a delete button or something. Just because I can.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2010, 10:38:36 pm »

Okay, I would have hit my goal of being done with characters about 3 hours ago despite my sickness, BUT...

First my computer wanted updates, so I went and watched Kung Fu Panda with my lil' sis. And then there was this bug. OH GOD DAMN THAT BUG JEBEZ CRUST It was like, holy crap this line of code is just NOT HAPPENING, why is this variable not assigning properly, I could run this code IN MY HEAD RUNNING WINDOWS ME and it's not working wtf... and then the bug disappeared. I don't know what happened, but I am now back to coding like a sane man, albeit a sane man with uncharacteristically high blood pressure. GAH.

Also, it is now possible to make a new game (did I mention this release is going to have multiple-save capacity?) and put characters into the text file.

As for making a flaming hobo for a delete button, that sounds kinda fun. Post a link to a picture or something, I'll make it a feature for a future release (being able to substitute the buttons for pictures). It won't be that hard to code in either, provided I don't make any super nonsensical bugs.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2010, 08:50:40 pm »

I have yet to produce it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2010, 07:27:11 am »

Time to embarrass myself!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2010, 07:22:50 pm »

That kicks the pants out of my pathetic attempts.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2010, 11:26:12 pm »

Okay so, I got some programming done today during my D&D game. (one more level, then I get Acrobatic Backstab, and I basically get to treat everything as flat-footed)

Creating, loading, and saving characters now works reliably, as far as I can tell. NPCs... not so much. For some reason, it doesn't want to carry over the new NPC's name to the next form. So, as far as I can tell, creating, loading, and saving NPCs works, except you can't give them names. Oh well.

The "create new NPC" form looks suspiciously like the old one. No points for guessing WHY.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2010, 11:48:06 pm »

Check the capitalization.  Twice. And again in the morning.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2010, 01:40:09 am »

Lol it took me fully 26 hours to figure out that you meant in the CODE, not my last post. Lol.

No, that's not it, VB6 code fixes capitalization stuff on its own. If I dimension a variable as MyVariable, and I write a line of code later that uses Myvariable, it'll autocorrect itself to MyVariable. And the necessary variable is correcting it's capitalization on its own, so I'm spelling it right... Anyway, I'm going to be able to get some programming done during D&D tomorrow (most likely), so I'll have a chance to step-test it then.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2010, 02:12:18 am »

Check the capitalization.  Twice. And again in the morning.
Do the same with the logic.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2010, 02:52:09 pm »

Aha! I fixed the new NPC naming bug. Apparently NewNPCName and NewNPC.Name are somehow used as the same variable, despite that one is a string and the other is a parameter of a user-defined data type.

Anyway you can now give yourself named mooks. I'm likely to get some more programming in today, too.

Edit 1: Heh, I just had a slightly humorous bug. When I was making the code for filling the location list, I just copied from the code for filling the NPC list and changed some words around, but I forgot to change the list they were being put into. So I tried to make 3 locations... and the location box was empty... because they were being put into the NPC box. I can only imagine what kinds of bugs would have arisen if items and such were up. (Although if I had to guess, it would just spit out a "bad record number" error)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 02:58:17 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2010, 01:16:08 pm »

Got some programming done between classes today. Items, skills, health and such are now much closer to being existential.

Also I've got preliminary thoughts on how the "advanced item & skills" system is going to work. Long story short, it's going to involve an extra form or two, and you can either leave it alone to use the "really really basic" version of Cinnamon rolls, or you can fill it up with skills and items, give each item their own text, give each skill an advancement table, and set which weapons work with which skills.

Also just for the hell of it I'm bumping the status-text limit up to 2,000 characters for PC's. Unfortunately, to counterbalance this, you can no longer store text in peoples' individual limbs. So if someone's arm is ‼ON FIRE‼ or something you'll need to mention it in their general status text.

EDIT: Also I've got the basis for saving everything set up, once I create the boxes for editing items and health and stuff that'll be ready to go.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:30:20 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2010, 02:40:38 pm »

I had a little bit of time to program today. You are now able to edit the names of your characters, NPCs, and locations, and in a very processor-friendly manner.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2010, 09:02:11 pm »

<insert generic supportive statement here>!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16