Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176287 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #420 on: June 07, 2009, 12:59:32 pm »

Yeah, I know that sounded very elitist but it's true. If you disregard such basic and simple ways to avoiding such obvious risks, then there's no way in hell you can possibly play Nethack properly.
Obvious risks? An obvious risk would be wearing random armour you picked up off the ground, or punching a floating eye, or attacking a unicorn when your a rouge that has only 7 st.

This is way more obscure, Ive only died once from it. And thats out of about 500 deaths.

Its an obvious risk in the sense that you could have had the Nethack Wiki and memorised the entire game thus spoiling it forever! Just like how most Roguelikes expect you to play! (DANG YOU IVAN!)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 07, 2009, 01:04:17 pm »

Yeah, I know that sounded very elitist but it's true. If you disregard such basic and simple ways to avoiding such obvious risks, then there's no way in hell you can possibly play Nethack properly.
Obvious risks? An obvious risk would be wearing random armour you picked up off the ground, or punching a floating eye, or attacking a unicorn when your a rouge that has only 7 st.

This is way more obscure, Ive only died once from it. And thats out of about 500 deaths.

Its an obvious risk in the sense that you could have had the Nethack Wiki and memorised the entire game thus spoiling it forever! Just like how most Roguelikes expect you to play! (DANG YOU IVAN!)
I dont really like spoiling games anymore, not after what happened with la-mulana. I still have regrets I havent seen that first hand... :(

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 07, 2009, 01:05:33 pm »

You kind of have to spoil Nethack, unless you're seriously hardcore when it comes to roguelikes.
Shoes...

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 07, 2009, 01:18:22 pm »

You kind of have to spoil Nethack, unless you're seriously hardcore when it comes to roguelikes.
If you want to save time on deaths I guess. I've spoiled a few things in the past but have forgotten most of them. Luckily they were nothing major, Im not going to spoil nethack anymore. I like not knowing whats coming...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 08, 2009, 02:02:47 pm »

Some guy on nethack.alt.org managed to ascend in around 5,000 turns.

D:
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 08, 2009, 03:43:16 pm »

Some guy on nethack.alt.org managed to ascend in around 5,000 turns.

D:

That would likely involve fountains and a lot of luck

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 08, 2009, 03:52:16 pm »

No I don't play Nethack... *hides avatar*

(I only made that with the tileset because you wouldn't be able to tell it was NH otherwise, I play ascii)

NH is the best and is the game that introduced me to roguelikes. Though I started playing it 6 or 7 years ago I've only actively played for a couple years altogether due to quitting dozens of times after really bad yasd's. I'm sure people here can relate.

My personal record is 13 ascensions and 9 of the 13 classes. I've had two 2-game streaks and a 3-game streak in last years Devnull Tournament.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 08, 2009, 03:56:44 pm »

It's fun looking at death messages from online servers.  Like one person choked to death on a food ration named OF ULTIMATE DESTINY.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 08, 2009, 07:10:13 pm »

It's fun looking at death messages from online servers.  Like one person choked to death on a food ration named OF ULTIMATE DESTINY.
That is just awesome.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 10, 2009, 03:11:12 pm »

Some people have Dwarf Fortress names too!

Look at the first fruit name.

http://alt.org/nethack/petnames.html

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 10, 2009, 07:57:33 pm »

Some people have Dwarf Fortress names too!

Look at the first fruit name.

http://alt.org/nethack/petnames.html

The 6th is +kitten tallow roast+.
You hear the rumble of distant thunder...

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 13, 2009, 07:03:59 am »

A look of surprise and horror appears on Lord Surtur's face.

No!!!  the Orb of Fate has lied to me!  I have been misled!

Suddenly, Lord Surtur grasps his head and screams in agony, then dies.

Yay me!

That's my valkyrie finishing her quest. I cannot find a single source of levitation or water walking... so I had to very, very, very, very carefully make my moves there with all the lava and narrow passages.

In the tiles mode the red lava is pulsing with every refresh... very painful to look at, and also very scary since I might just step into lava again.

But at -13 AC, 154 HP and +5 Excaliur in my hands, Lord Surtur could do little else other than fleeing upstairs. (I had teleportis + ring of teleport control, but I am afraid to use it... if I chose a square already occupied it will teleport me to a random location which is probably filled with lava.)

Finally on Home4 I managed to zap him with my wand of sleep... then one hit and he's dead.

And since he fled 3 times, I don't need to tread all those lava to get back outside too!

Yay! :D

But it remains that I have no means to cross water... I managed Medusa by 2 scrolls of Earth and 2 wands of cold, but for the castle moat I have nothing. I also used my only magic lamp earlier for a silver dragon scale mail (4 huge barracks and I got BoH from Sokoban). Medusa level gave me a pair of fumbling boots and shield of reflection.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 07:07:37 am by kcwong »

Quincunx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 13, 2009, 05:59:05 pm »

If I remember correctly, Medusa's level is the only level in the whole game where levitation is absolutely necessary besides crossing some moats in the end of the game.  In fact, if you have water walking or jumping you don't ever need levitation unless you consider levitation necessary for the plane of air or the plane of water.  There is a drawbridge in the castle and Juiblex's swamp can be traversed without crossing any tiles of water.  Anyway, if you never find a source of levitation you could just use your wand of wishing from the castle on a ring of levitation.

Also, congratulations on making it this far.  Good luck on the rest of your game!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 13, 2009, 07:50:37 pm »

I eventually got another wish from a potion of extra healing - it's smoky in this game. I wished for fixed water walking boots. I was thinking about using the castle wand to get a cloak of magic resistance.

I got overconfident dealing with a mind flayer (ouch)... int dropped from 15 to 12, ate it to get back to 13. Serves me right for wearing an elven helm for spellcasting. I remapped the route back to level 1 (I dug a clear path on all levels), and am now re-identifying my items.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 14, 2009, 12:33:37 am »

Wouldn't a unicorn horn fix the stat loss from a mind flayer?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 128