Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176258 times)

ofgeeks

• Bay Watcher
  • For Science!
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #450 on: June 16, 2009, 05:17:06 pm »

I think the Icebox generated too heavy with corpses too heavy to lift is not a bug necessarily, but just frustrations. Like a wand of wishing glued to the floor. =)

I think if you drop everything else but the gauntlets of power and try to lift it out you should be able to get most any corpse out of an icebox. (possible exception of D corpses)

I've not tried it. So I can't say for sure. If you think it really is a bug, submit it. The dev team will work on it for the eventual next version.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 16, 2009, 05:22:28 pm »

That's not how nethack bugs and issues are fixed actually, you would be better of doing it yourself.

Also has anyone else heard about the ludicrous Yeenoghu bug? It's well, ludicrous.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 05:59:35 pm by Sniper Joe »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 16, 2009, 05:48:08 pm »

ludicrous Yeenoghu bug

Yeah, I wish they hadn't "fixed" that.

next version

rofl

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 16, 2009, 07:48:55 pm »

I started running a Tourist, and I'm doing alright. Some crazy luck though: Very first Dlvl, not one, but TWO altars. One chaotic and one neutral. Then I find ANOTHER neutral altar some 3 dlvl's down. Finally testing out the fountain + pickaxe trick to get some water, and I find out that pets have super drowning skills.

Travelling down into the gnomish mines, I avoid death narrowly as I stab Gnomes to death and slowly build up my dagger skill (cause these darts are frickin' useless!) and get more tools to boot. Didn't get much of a chance to explore Minetown as the RNGod plotted my doom and summoned an inexplicable number of nasty creatures to hound me (multiple unicorns, panthers, giant beetles, chickatrices [I have no stoning protection!] and some crazy invulnerable Quasit that just. won't. die!) and I ended up hiding inside a shop, holding an unpaid item so the shopkeeper keeps himself parked in front of the entrance so I can regenerate health. Only needed to pray for saving once, and I got another cat out of the deal. Finding a hard gem, I headed back up, and am currently making my way towards Sokoban.

Something both unfortunate and crazy happened though, I killed a chameleon, which my cat ate and turned into a Gecko. However, another kitten popped up out of nowhere, and I used my last tripe ration to tame it. Upon slipping my leash around it's neck, it suddenly turned into a Minotaur, and I found I accidentally tamed a shapechanger! How neat! The IRC help guys say it'll eventually kill itself, but let's see how far I can take this thing!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 16, 2009, 07:52:25 pm »

I started running a Tourist, and I'm doing alright. Some crazy luck though: Very first Dlvl, not one, but TWO altars. One chaotic and one neutral. Then I find ANOTHER neutral altar some 3 dlvl's down. Finally testing out the fountain + pickaxe trick to get some water, and I find out that pets have super drowning skills.

Travelling down into the gnomish mines, I avoid death narrowly as I stab Gnomes to death and slowly build up my dagger skill (cause these darts are frickin' useless!) and get more tools to boot. Didn't get much of a chance to explore Minetown as the RNGod plotted my doom and summoned an inexplicable number of nasty creatures to hound me (multiple unicorns, panthers, giant beetles, chickatrices [I have no stoning protection!] and some crazy invulnerable Quasit that just. won't. die!) and I ended up hiding inside a shop, holding an unpaid item so the shopkeeper keeps himself parked in front of the entrance so I can regenerate health. Only needed to pray for saving once, and I got another cat out of the deal. Finding a hard gem, I headed back up, and am currently making my way towards Sokoban.

Something both unfortunate and crazy happened though, I killed a chameleon, which my cat ate and turned into a Gecko. However, another kitten popped up out of nowhere, and I used my last tripe ration to tame it. Upon slipping my leash around it's neck, it suddenly turned into a Minotaur, and I found I accidentally tamed a shapechanger! How neat! The IRC help guys say it'll eventually kill itself, but let's see how far I can take this thing!

If you had a lawful altar I would kill you.  Also nice find with the shapeshifter.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 17, 2009, 03:28:51 am »

I have a question: How can you get a monster to pickup a Sunsword and wield it? I'm trying to make a permanent light source, since I used up my magic lamp earlier.

I tried a rock troll, but no matter how many times it resurrects, it won't pickup the sword. Are there other monster types I can use?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 17, 2009, 03:34:53 am »

You can always get an archon, they can hold weapons. Then again blessed figurines of archons are pretty rare.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 17, 2009, 03:36:15 am »

Well, my purpose is to kill the monster wielding it (so Sunsword stay lit)... so I'd rather choose something other than Archon.

Edit:
Done! I threw Sunsword at various creatures. It's a peaceful dwarf who picked it up.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 04:19:33 am by kcwong »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 17, 2009, 06:25:08 am »

I didn't know you could do that! Well, Sunswords seem pretty lousy as light sources, only having a range of 2 squares, but I suppose it's better than nothing at all.

What'd you use your wish on Kc?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 17, 2009, 07:02:26 am »

I didn't know you could do that! Well, Sunswords seem pretty lousy as light sources, only having a range of 2 squares, but I suppose it's better than nothing at all.

It's almost good enough for jumping boots, which is my intended method to cross Astral. I already got the boots in my BoH.

What'd you use your wish on Kc?

#conduct tells me I've used five wishes so far...
1. Silver dragon scale mail
I made this wish from my only magic lamp. I was stuck on Medusa level and on the way there I found four huge barracks on four consecutive levels. Having no means to cross water at all except two wands of cold and two scrolls of earth, I decided I need reflection to clear the barracks, hoping for a death drop will give me either water walking or levitation.

I found none in the end, but did get one more wand of cold which did the trick. Slipping on the ice cost me a lot of scrolls including two taming and two magic mapping. I found a shield of reflection and a pair of fumbling boots in the statue.

2-3. Water walking boots and levitation boots
Hitting the castle level and I still have no water walking and levitation, so I used the gate code to enter. Having traveled many times between castle level (DL27) and my main stash (DL9), plus lots of altar camping, I decided I was not going to find one. Since I already had a scroll of charging, I wished for the boots.

4. Ring of free action
This game gave me very little gloves, boots, rings and scrolls. A close brush with death involving a gelatinous cube made up my mind.

5. Cloak of Magic Resistance
Hitting Gehennom I figured without MR and MC I'd be dead pretty soon. Soon after that I have grey dragon scale in my bag but no enchant armor scroll. You can tell when RNG loves you.

I still have two charges in the castle wand, plus I found another wand of wishing in Gehennom. A nice arch-lich left an athame for me. I think I will wish for a ring of conflict, helm of brilliance and magic marker if I can't find one soon.

Artifact-wise I wished for none - altar camping produced these:
Mjolnir
Trollbane
Dragonbane
Firebrand
Frostbrand
Werebane
Sunsword
Plus Excalibur from dipping.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 08:02:13 am by kcwong »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 17, 2009, 07:06:34 am »

What type of character are you using?

Also, is it possible to drown randomly in one of my little pools if I'm not burdened?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 17, 2009, 07:14:40 am »

What type of character are you using?

A human valkyrie, dual-wielding Excalibur +4 and silver saber +4 (would have been more if not for a disenchanter) and throwing elven daggers x6, all relevant skills maxed.

Also, is it possible to drown randomly in one of my little pools if I'm not burdened?

"My little pools"? You mean water tiles created by using fountains? When unburdened you will drown if you have no empty adjacent land tiles.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 17, 2009, 08:09:54 am »

Ah, that's good to know.

More crazy luck! I bought a bag that was priced at 70 gold, and with some experimenting, I found that it's a bag of holding!

Gonna have to get this blessed!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 17, 2009, 10:31:32 am »

Did Sokoban, quit on the last stage when I found out that it was the puzzle for the bag of holding, which I already have. Also, my shapeshifting pet died, I can't recall how.

However, MORE crazy luck! I found a magic lamp, got it blessed, and wished for Blessed greased fixed +3 silver dragon scale mail, which fixed my reflection problem. Then I found a neato +2 leather cloak and +0 gloves off a soldier. Then I went to Mine's end, got the luckstone, and found ANOTHER magic lamp, which I then blessed and wished for a blessed greased fixed Eye of the Aethiopica, and now I have magic resistance, half spell damage, branchporting, fast power regeneration (not that it matters), and extrinsic ESP if I so desire.

bepo5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 17, 2009, 12:03:23 pm »

Did Sokoban, quit on the last stage when I found out that it was the puzzle for the bag of holding, which I already have. Also, my shapeshifting pet died, I can't recall how.

However, MORE crazy luck! I found a magic lamp, got it blessed, and wished for Blessed greased fixed +3 silver dragon scale mail, which fixed my reflection problem. Then I found a neato +2 leather cloak and +0 gloves off a soldier. Then I went to Mine's end, got the luckstone, and found ANOTHER magic lamp, which I then blessed and wished for a blessed greased fixed Eye of the Aethiopica, and now I have magic resistance, half spell damage, branchporting, fast power regeneration (not that it matters), and extrinsic ESP if I so desire.

You are going to die horribly.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 128