Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 309179 times)

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #1725 on: January 11, 2012, 03:29:42 am »

Having multiple dwarves carry heavy loads would be great. The job would get done faster and it is more realistic. As it is now, my weakest dwarf is usually the one who ends up carrying (any carrying, and carrying, and carrying) the newly caged giant to the captives stockpile, while the rest of my fortress sits on their thumbs in the dining hall, or hauls individual seeds.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: January 11, 2012, 07:24:45 am »

Its on the "short  term" to do list, on the DeV page, but only ToadyOne & ThreeToes knows for sure.

Maybe we'll see it get some improvements when Fort Mode gets the new World Gen trading stuff. I think there's a defiant possibility that'll become relevant.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Pranz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: January 11, 2012, 08:42:35 am »

Lack of goals. When you have a grasp of the game you set up goals for yourself and choose your own difficulty via mods, but in the beginning you have no idea what to do. There should be a kind of civilization mode where you serve a certain civilization and there is a number of missions and challanges you can choose. like "setup a trading fort with the elves" or something.
DF Valentine
I punched a hamsterwoman in the mouth and her teeth exploded out of his head like gory shrapnel and littered the ground. Happy Valentines Day.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: January 12, 2012, 11:24:34 pm »

Part of the problem with opening DF up to allow the design of custom UI is that the game is constantly changing, sometimes in pretty profound ways. Each third-party application project requires a good deal of maintenance, but none of them represent a full custom UI. A full UI would require a great deal of maintenance, but a lot of the earlier work would become obsolete later down the line. That's not necessarily a prohibitive factor, but it means a lot of work would go unappreciated; and I don't think anyone wants their hard work to go unappreciated.

When DF becomes near to being 'finished' that would be a better time to implement a streamlined UI. If Toady wanted to earn more money, he'd focus on attracting lots more users to his site, and focus on improving DF's user-friendliness. He doesn't seem to want to do that. We all like DF as it is, otherwise we wouldn't play it. So who really benefits from improving the UI now anyway? We're happy, Toady's happy, and non-dorfers are happy, because ignorance (of DF) is apparently bliss.

Believe me, when DF is finished in 2026 and people are playing it with their psychic probe interfaces and streamlined Web 5.0 graphics, we'll enjoy the smug satisfaction that we soldiered through with the confusing UI we have now, we few hypernerds dissecting the arcane glyphs and convoluted menus with gleeful abandon.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: January 12, 2012, 11:40:42 pm »

Toady and Threetoe may one day choose to incorporate various usability mods into the game.

They may for example, fix the bugs that DFhack fixes, and add special little 'debugger' tweaks. And incorporate mass designation of labors, etc... a la Dwarf Therapist.

What I would love is a WYSIWYG modding tool.
Similar to RPG Maker 95/2k/2k3's code snippet entry.

It would make for ease of access and less eye hurt from using Notepad all the time.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: January 13, 2012, 12:11:23 am »

What I would love is a WYSIWYG modding tool.
Similar to RPG Maker 95/2k/2k3's code snippet entry.

It would make for ease of access and less eye hurt from using Notepad all the time.

Just use a more capable editor with syntax highlighting... simply choosing INI syntax should be a big improvement over Notepad.

Plus, there's already a syntax definition for Notepad++:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28805.0

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: January 13, 2012, 05:21:06 am »

only about fortress mode this one is
The difficulty in creating and maintaining a decent army and stuf related to this:
- equipement(i mean, do you really need to make every single item yourself?)
- seeing which dwarf is suitable for what(maybe a in-game filter would be nice)
- at first: lack of tutorial
- later: lack of challenge. creating a fort is easy, and gets a tad boring after a while. Even though I haven't done any glass-making, pumpstacking, metalhandling, magmafun etc, basics are covered, and maintaining food and booze gets dull..
They died for their fellow Dwarves. They will be remembered, at least until your Dwarves see a particularly nice statue.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: January 13, 2012, 01:31:20 pm »

Part of the problem with opening DF up to allow the design of custom UI is that the game is constantly changing,
So what? DFHack, Dwarf TheRapist and other thrid party tools must be updated every release anyway. Updating UI API, interface or whatever by thrid party developer is problem of this developer.

When DF becomes near to being 'finished'
Who you are kidding? This will never happen.

So who really benefits from improving the UI now anyway?
Everyone.

Believe me, when DF is finished in 2026
Read from  my lips: This. Will. Not. Happen.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1733 on: January 13, 2012, 01:37:42 pm »

Believe me, when DF is finished in 2026
Read from  my lips: This. Will. Not. Happen.

I could see DF being 'finished' if Toady decided to work on a new game/version entirely.

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: January 13, 2012, 02:30:44 pm »

Letting k and v switch to each other would be nice enough.

Now that would be very nice, not having to exit a menu, start the new one, and refind what you were looking at.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: January 13, 2012, 05:03:34 pm »

I could see DF being 'finished' if Toady decided to work on a new game/version entirely.
I would not count is as finished, but abandoned. In fact, there are two possible scenarios:
  • Abandoment - as described above.
  • Ceasement - when Toady will be found dead by keyboard, hopefully from old age.
I claim DF will be never officialy finished.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #1736 on: January 13, 2012, 06:39:07 pm »

I would not count is as finished, but abandoned. In fact, there are two possible scenarios:
  • Abandoment - as described above.
  • Ceasement - when Toady will be found dead by keyboard, hopefully from old age.
I claim DF will be never officialy finished.

Perhaps Toadys children will one day hit 1.0...

Well, except for the fact that he's a work-at-home computer programmer with a cat.

so yeah, never happen.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: January 13, 2012, 06:42:56 pm »

I seem to remember him saying in an interview that DF is his 'life's work' and will be more of an art piece than a game. That's a good thing!

mikelon

« Reply #1738 on: January 13, 2012, 09:54:46 pm »

the fact that about 10 minutes into the game part of the mantra of the game wherein you train 7 dwarves up to legendary status is ruined.

Oh boy!Here comes another boatload of migrants with atleast half of them legendary in atleast one craft. Getting legendary or atleast above adequet in any profession dwarves should be rare. Wherein a hero in a craft appears 10 years in game or after you do certain things to impress them enough to show up like the current version of Kings showing up.

Rod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: January 14, 2012, 01:24:27 am »

The fact that this game is going to kill my grades...
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 136