Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 309227 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #1740 on: May 28, 2012, 07:24:30 am »

Barrier to play: the help available is really weak and uninformative.  Something more like man pages for a *nix program might be dense and cumbersome, but at least the user would have a better clue which end is up if they stuck with it.

Style gripe: I don't like Good/Evil regions.  It seems a poor fit in a game with little overt supernatural activity.  It's also probably impossible to define good and evil in a way that seems reasonable to each player.  Though, necromantic hellholes that bring the dead back for no clear reason are something of a fantasy staple.  Maybe if they must exist, it would be better to revise to Beneficent/Baneful regions, try to bring their behavior in line with those terms, and drop the morality aspects completely.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: May 28, 2012, 08:19:54 am »

Barrier to play: the help available is really weak and uninformative.  Something more like man pages for a *nix program might be dense and cumbersome, but at least the user would have a better clue which end is up if they stuck with it.

Style gripe: I don't like Good/Evil regions.  It seems a poor fit in a game with little overt supernatural activity.  It's also probably impossible to define good and evil in a way that seems reasonable to each player.  Though, necromantic hellholes that bring the dead back for no clear reason are something of a fantasy staple.  Maybe if they must exist, it would be better to revise to Beneficent/Baneful regions, try to bring their behavior in line with those terms, and drop the morality aspects completely.

It was mentioned in a df talk I think that the current good/evil system will be replaced by a somewhat elemental "sphere" system, so instead of evil you could have a sphere of death, or undeath, and others, i'm not sure what sphere "good" things would go in, but i'm pretty sure toady did mention bringing a sphere system in.
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: May 28, 2012, 09:15:33 am »

Look up the Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke. That is DF in a nutshell.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:28:09 am by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: May 28, 2012, 09:48:37 am »

A guy on the kag forums:

"its gameplay is like exel!"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: May 28, 2012, 10:55:46 am »

Someone in the other locked thread asked what's so wrong with the interface, so here's a list of a few things I want:

• Consistant key mapping, so the same keys map to the same object in all applicable menus.
  • Consistant ability to scroll through menus. Some menus allow scrolling with /*-+, other's don't.
  • Mouse navigate-able menus. If I see on the screen the command I want to execute, I should be able to click it, without having to figure out if I can scroll to it or which key to press.
  • Manager screen as a top level menu.
  • Consistant item grouping. Stockpiles use one set of item categories. The liaison uses another. Stocks use another. The embark screen uses another.
  • Dwarf therapist integration. Or else official support of Dwarf therapist. This is an essential utility.
  • Better notification of unhappiness, and the causes of it
  • Better error messages generally.
  • The 'q', 't', 'k', and 'v' top level options are closely related and should not be treated like menus. It should be strait forward to switch between these views.
  • Linking stockpiles and hauling routes should be done the same way as linking things to levers.
  • And more...

The short of it is, half the steep learning curve of DF is learning the interface, the other half figuring out the logistics of how to manage a fort. It should be all logistics, and no learning curve for the interface.

EDIT: added more items to the list.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:12:16 am by King Mir »

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: May 28, 2012, 10:57:57 am »

Someone in the other locked thread asked what's so wrong with the interface, so here's a list of a few things I want:

• Consistant key mapping, so the same keys map to the same object in all applicable menus.
  • Consistant ability to scroll through menus. Some menus allow scrolling with /*-+, other's don't.
  • Mouse navigate-able menus. If I see on the screen the command I want to execute, I should be able to click it, without having to figure out if I can scroll to it or which key to press.
  • Manager screen as a top level menu.
  • Consistant item grouping. Stockpiles use one set of item categories. The liaison uses another. Stocks use another. The embark screen uses another.
  • Dwarf therapist integration. Or else official support of Dwarf therapist. This is an essential utility.
  • Better notification of unhappiness, and the causes of it
  • Better error messages generally.
  • And more...

The short of it is, half the steep learning curve of DF is learning the interface, the other half figuring out the logistics of how to manage a fort. It should be all logistics, and no learning curve for the interface.
I good deal with non-mouse navigatable menus, but +1 to everything else.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: May 28, 2012, 01:12:01 pm »

Seem like some decent ideas, integrated therapist support would just make sense at this point, seeing as how 90% of the community is using it, (a bit of an assumption, but I have rarely seen people say they DONT use it)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: May 28, 2012, 01:17:18 pm »

I've never used it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: May 28, 2012, 02:52:11 pm »

Ye shame that thread got locked, was just about to post to. I'll write down here some of the things that have always annoyed me about DF. Might have posted in this thread already, can't remember.
Anyway

-Food is in sheer abundance, sustaining a populace is so trivial it's more of a chore to remember to keep a healthy stock of booze then managing resources. Egg and many meat sources feeding entire fortresses with no upkeep at all. Whoever heard of non grazing animals somehow surviving without food. Or farms smaller then the dining hall somehow filling said dining hall with abundance of crops.

-Immigration is a pain in the arse esepcially early on when population can triple in a single migrant wave. Obviously a small and modest outpost shouldn't attract everyone and their dog, should be a gradual buildup so the player can get to know the population instead of rrecieving a massive wave of faceless meatshields.
Also the complete lack of emigration. Whoever heard of immigration without emigration, that's just not possible. If things look so grim in the fortress why don't dwarves up and leave instead of awaiting their death or going insane.

-Complete lack of architecture as structural integrity is not an issue. I quite enjoy the challenge of designing according to what is and what is not possible. The thought of an entire mauntain resting on a support made of soap is a huge immersion breaker for me, and I really miss the challenge of designing a fortress. Walls being industructible annoys me as well, I'd love to make huge fortifications nigh impossible to breach, but then a single wall construction does the job just as well.

There you go more or less what I wanted to post earlier. Don't get me wrong I love dwarf fortress, but every game has its flaws, especially one in developement.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: May 28, 2012, 03:02:24 pm »

Ye shame that thread got locked, was just about to post to. I'll write down here some of the things that have always annoyed me about DF. Might have posted in this thread already, can't remember.
Anyway

-Food is in sheer abundance, sustaining a populace is so trivial it's more of a chore to remember to keep a healthy stock of booze then managing resources. Egg and many meat sources feeding entire fortresses with no upkeep at all. Whoever heard of non grazing animals somehow surviving without food. Or farms smaller then the dining hall somehow filling said dining hall with abundance of crops.

-Immigration is a pain in the arse esepcially early on when population can triple in a single migrant wave. Obviously a small and modest outpost shouldn't attract everyone and their dog, should be a gradual buildup so the player can get to know the population instead of rrecieving a massive wave of faceless meatshields.
Also the complete lack of emigration. Whoever heard of immigration without emigration, that's just not possible. If things look so grim in the fortress why don't dwarves up and leave instead of awaiting their death or going insane.

-Complete lack of architecture as structural integrity is not an issue. I quite enjoy the challenge of designing according to what is and what is not possible. The thought of an entire mauntain resting on a support made of soap is a huge immersion breaker for me, and I really miss the challenge of designing a fortress. Walls being industructible annoys me as well, I'd love to make huge fortifications nigh impossible to breach, but then a single wall construction does the job just as well.

There you go more or less what I wanted to post earlier. Don't get me wrong I love dwarf fortress, but every game has its flaws, especially one in developement.
+1 to all but the immigration complaint. Not that it is not a valid complaint, just that there are more pressing concerns.

I would prefer if issues like these were fixed before the interface. Everyone here as already had to learn the interface, and once you know how to use it using it is not very hard.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: May 28, 2012, 03:04:36 pm »

Funny, I've seen this thread before, but I don't think I've ever posted in it.

I wonder if Toady/Threetoe ever read it anymore, though...

Anyway, I can say this much about the game:

The greatest problem for a new player is the "Sandbox paralysis" problem - there are a hundred things to do, a maze of menus, but no clear idea of what is important. 

A clear indication of what is important to the player (if nothing else, a "?" button based menu that says "what order of things should I do first?" would be a good idea) would be the first step.  That is, dig a hole or build a wall to keep everyone safe, and start building a farm and some basic housing to start.  Just cover enough to keep them from starving to death or dying to a badger infestation or the first goblins, and then let them figure the game out from there. 

In terms of interface, by and large, the overwhelming problem that this game has is in two fronts:

First, this game's interface is designed from the perspective of what is easiest to code, not what is easiest for the player to grasp.  Building and designations should be more "close" to one another in interface.  Interface should be organized based upon function, rather than what they involve actually doing - putting workshops off of a given build key, and then a traffic management sub-menu instead of doors and floodgates and bridges all separate, and having a furniture direct placement sub-menu, for example.  Players should get an idea that there is a menu for major terrain changes like mining and constructions, and then a totally separate menu for traffic flow or designations that relate to forbidding or ordering a tree chopped down.  Putting "chop this tree down" in the same menu with "dig a stairwell here" in the same menu with "throw away this trash" but putting "build a new stairwell here" in a totally different menu is just confusing to new players.

Second, and far more important, is that information screens (which have no cursor memory, and take as much as minutes to scroll through sometimes) are often not on the same page as the decision screens, or even close to them.  This is most unforgivable on the military screens - where I often have to take pen and paper notes on what dwarves I want to assign to what squads with what equipment, because the menu is SO utterly obtuse. 

It should be an Interface mandate that ALL information that could be important in making a decision either be available to the player on that screen, or else be only a single button-press away, and if they press a button to go into a sub-menu or screen giving more detailed information, then the game should remember where they are on that list when they pull back out of the detail view.  For a game where so much detail exists and can often be so important, there is no excuse for not helping the player to make informed decisions.

You also need to get over your allergies to charts/spreadsheets in general.  The game needs more densely packed information, and using color-coded icons, like a blue/cyan/green/yellow/brown/red happy face icon next to names to indicate happiness problems from a units menu in order to give more compact information that is critical to fortress management in a single menu where players can check fortress status at a glance for major problems would do wonders, because if a player has to go digging through individual details pages of dwarves in menus with no cursor memory, let me tell you, players just won't do that - they'll fall off a cliff. 

Losing is Fun only if you learn from it, and feel like it could have been avoided, and now they know what to do next time.  Tantrum spirals that keep happening and people don't know why aren't fun.  I don't have tantrum spirals, I keep my dwarves ecstatic at all times.  But then, I would naturally make super-elaborate fortresses with all the amenities, anyway, as it's just my playstyle to pamper my dwarves for its own sake, and more importantly, I have Dwarf Therapist open at all times showing me at a glance what my status is.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: May 28, 2012, 03:45:29 pm »

For me, it was the world gen/embark screen. Yes, starting the game and having absolutely no direction of what to do put me off DF for a while. I know lots of people are suggesting to have some kind of tutorial in the game, but why bother when there are already lots of absolutely wonderful tutorials out on the net? Wouldn't it be easier to link some of these tutorials from inside the game instead?

Feeling down? Click Here!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: May 28, 2012, 03:59:52 pm »

For me, it was the world gen/embark screen. Yes, starting the game and having absolutely no direction of what to do put me off DF for a while. I know lots of people are suggesting to have some kind of tutorial in the game, but why bother when there are already lots of absolutely wonderful tutorials out on the net? Wouldn't it be easier to link some of these tutorials from inside the game instead?

Well, I don't like those types of tutorials - they take too long, and walk you through by the hand.  I loathe video tutorials, and non-interactive elements should never become part of games in any way that they can be removed (with the sole exception of where they are thematically appropriate, like finding old logbooks you can read through to find out what happened to a lost expedition or something - stopping to read is fine, then). 

I basically learned the game off of embarking, pausing the game, looking at the menu, and going through the wiki for about three days until I understood what every button did at my own pace.  Then I started playing.  I didn't need multiple failed forts to learn, either - I just read up on what I needed to know from the wiki, and was cautious and went at my own pace, reading up on the things in the order of my own personal interest.  (Whereas a YouTube video is linear and often much slower than my ability to read, and seeking around constantly is too cumbersome.)

Now, yes, I'm not everyone, but that's part of the point - you should be general in this, so that different styles aren't forced into something they don't like.

The thing is, all you really need is a fairly simple guideline of what is important, and what you are looking for, and some slight instruction (or link to the wiki) on the details, and let the players figure out the rest at their own pace. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kwask

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: May 28, 2012, 04:18:12 pm »

Probably my least favorite part of the game is the first year of a fort. After a point where I have made a couple dozen forts, I hate having to set it up from base zero. I wish i could just skip the initial fort setup and just get into the meat of the game.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: May 28, 2012, 04:26:58 pm »

Probably my least favorite part of the game is the first year of a fort. After a point where I have made a couple dozen forts, I hate having to set it up from base zero. I wish i could just skip the initial fort setup and just get into the meat of the game.
Turn up the FPS cap, it will make time fly by.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 136