Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 309201 times)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #1755 on: May 28, 2012, 04:31:55 pm »

Probably my least favorite part of the game is the first year of a fort. After a point where I have made a couple dozen forts, I hate having to set it up from base zero. I wish i could just skip the initial fort setup and just get into the meat of the game.
I'd actually like the opposite -- make the late game more like the early game, with more explicit challenges to overcome.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: May 28, 2012, 05:22:08 pm »

Well, part of the problem is that the game just doesn't have any tools for dealing with the overflow of information in the late game - you have all these dwarves with all these details all dumped onto you all at once in giant immigration waves.  You don't really have any way to effectively manage that information without programs like Dwarf Therapist from that point on.

You really need to cut down on the rate at which players get slammed with information overload from all the dwarves, as well as slammed with the need to house all those dwarves and feed them and find jobs for them all. 

The game just plain needs to cut the rate at which dwarves enter the fortress by a factor or 10 to 30 times.  It should take 10-20 years to hit a full fort, not 2.

Of course, I am writing the whole Class Warfare suggestion thread on how to handle this topic...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: May 28, 2012, 07:32:59 pm »

This has probably been mentioned before. But the game play elements (rules) need more polish between releases. It gets frustrating and breaks immersion when there are small bugs in things like combat. Its nothing that can't be lived through, and is completely irrelevant when exploring new features, but once the newness wares off, broken game mechanics always makes me feel like I want to wait to play a later release.

The core of a simulation is its rules, if DnD had a broken mechanic, a game master makes a house rule to fix or tweak it. Blizzard updates patch to make sword X not so unbalancing, etc... With good mechanics, procedural content can last forever =) Even with few features. Take a non-procedural game like Quake, the rules are predictable, and well thought out. The game is still played today and has a huge audience. Simplification is not what I am trying to illustrate though. I am also not talking about balance. Just consistency and accuracy. Or predictability. A dwarf with a weapon should not die to a fingernail with infinite lives that delivers head-shots through the eye-sockets with 100% accuracy. Unless that is the intention. It doesn't seem so, it seems like realism is  :P *I think I should be clear to also say that, this type of thing should be able to happen, maybe 1% of the time, or it should have the same probabilities as lightening strikes or something* But when things break in this game, they tend to break in horrible freakish and insane ways  ;D Wich is always fun the first time around, but the 4th, and 5th, not so much.

Fairness of the rules and game mechanics is probably a better term. Also the examples I used are just based off of what kind of bug would annoy me, no actual bug report going on here.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 07:51:30 pm by runlvlzero »
I voted for BANANA!

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: May 28, 2012, 08:02:56 pm »

The amazingly complicated nature of minecarts and routes, and their seeming necessity- either you carry these massive boulders and get slowed to a crawl (or are arbitrarily limited to three wheelbarrows), or make blocks out of them which requires a dedicated mason and is four times as many trips.  Until I figure out a workaround or better way I'm sticking to the previous version for now.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: May 28, 2012, 09:20:15 pm »

I haven't played Dwarf Fortress in a month or perhaps longer because I'm tired of how repetitive and overwhelming the game gets when there is no direction and everything comes at you at once. I have kept up with downloading the recent updates when my connection will let me do so, but I haven't touched them because I'm worried that I'll get overwhelmed all over again.

I'm sorry if this post isn't very helpful.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: May 28, 2012, 11:14:21 pm »

I haven't played Dwarf Fortress in a month or perhaps longer because I'm tired of how repetitive and overwhelming the game gets when there is no direction and everything comes at you at once. I have kept up with downloading the recent updates when my connection will let me do so, but I haven't touched them because I'm worried that I'll get overwhelmed all over again.

I have to wonder, is it really complexity or lack of difficulty combined with complexity?
I think NW_Kohaku and several others all agree that Dwarf Fortress needs to be harder somehow, as right now there is no real difficulties in the game, its all just easy.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: May 28, 2012, 11:16:02 pm »

I have to wonder, is it really complexity or lack of difficulty combined with complexity?
I think NW_Kohaku and several others all agree that Dwarf Fortress needs to be harder somehow, as right now there is no real difficulties in the game, its all just easy.
Yea, but given enough time all games become easy. There has been folks here playing DF for years.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: May 29, 2012, 02:59:52 am »

Yea, but given enough time all games become easy. There has been folks here playing DF for years.
I had to play DF for months for it to become easy. I only had to play Fallout: New Vegas, for a week for the entire game to be easy. (then I got hardcore mode turn on, and that toke another week).
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: May 29, 2012, 05:12:53 am »

I've been playing for almost two years and the game still surprises me. There's not many games you can say that about.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: May 29, 2012, 08:41:30 am »

I've been playing for almost two years and the game still surprises me. There's not many games you can say that about.

I'm at that odd point in playing DF where getting a sustainable fort is easy and trivial, so I set out to do something more complex and forget about setting up a sustainable fort first.

More recently it's been "ooh, new features!" Your fort has succumbed to starvation.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: May 29, 2012, 09:48:05 am »

the only thing that turns me off besides bugs is the military screen. so complex :(  I liked it better in 40d.
I like sushi.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: May 29, 2012, 10:24:47 am »

the only thing that turns me off besides bugs is the military screen. so complex :(  I liked it better in 40d.

I liked the simplicity of the 40D version (especially the "you, being accosted by that groundhog, you're now a recruit" ability).

But I respect the power that the new screen gives us (even if I don't yet understand how to use it).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:34:06 am by Draco18s »

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: May 29, 2012, 12:23:30 pm »

I just gave up on making uniforms and just equip each dwarf with specific armor pieces.  I like that screen now :)
I like sushi.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: May 29, 2012, 12:39:39 pm »

I just gave up on making uniforms and just equip each dwarf with specific armor pieces.  I like that screen now :)

I do this, as well, but it still annoys me, because in order to actually do this, I have to use pen and paper to write down specific pieces of armor and weapons that aren't in use to assign to different dwarves. 

This wouldn't be a problem if the information was available from the screen where you make the decision, which is one of those cardinal rules of making an interface that DF just doesn't follow, and is especially egregious in the case of the military screen, because there is nothing stopping you from assigning a weapon that is already equipped by another dwarf.  (And worse, there is nothing indicating that the weapon is already equipped.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: May 29, 2012, 03:34:33 pm »

I do this, as well, but it still annoys me, because in order to actually do this, I have to use pen and paper to write down specific pieces of armor and weapons that aren't in use to assign to different dwarves. 

This wouldn't be a problem if the information was available from the screen where you make the decision, which is one of those cardinal rules of making an interface that DF just doesn't follow, and is especially egregious in the case of the military screen, because there is nothing stopping you from assigning a weapon that is already equipped by another dwarf.  (And worse, there is nothing indicating that the weapon is already equipped.)

Overall, I agree, but we never saw the Arsenal/Quartermaster Dwarf actually work. Maybe Toady was hoping for that Position to be the point of information of such things and workout such conflicts.

That would be inline, with other information you have with the game, that it's generated by the dorfs.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 136