Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3574268 times)

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7545 on: November 28, 2009, 06:16:25 pm »

Are there any plans to allow you to link a lever to another lever?  It would be really nice to be able to make automated systems and whatnot.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: November 28, 2009, 06:18:30 pm »

How do you mean?  A lever is just an input device.  You can already have multiple levers connected to the same mechanism or whatever.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: November 28, 2009, 06:36:46 pm »

Let's say you have two levers connected to one another, then connect one of the levers to a upright spear trap. 

- Constantly stabbing spear trap. 

I can think of a few more practical applications but that one seems the most obvious to get my point across. 

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: November 28, 2009, 06:49:09 pm »

So you want a repeater without the (currently-required) hydrodynamic/populodynamic(I wonder what this word should be) engineering?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: November 28, 2009, 06:49:23 pm »

In other words, you want the game to violate the basic principles of thermodynamics even more flagrantly than it does, and in more situations.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7550 on: November 28, 2009, 06:58:50 pm »

Hey, its not like the spear isn't powered... oh wait.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: November 28, 2009, 07:04:07 pm »

Some sort of mechanism for powering the operation could be incorporated, I just think there should be more straightforward ways to make repeating levers.  Perhaps you could attach it to a windmill?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: November 28, 2009, 07:09:13 pm »

Yeah, greater options for power would be great, including powered repeating levers in general, I think.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: November 28, 2009, 07:20:28 pm »

What kind of an example is that? People shooting from a car don't usually aim so much as try to throw out a line of bullets.

Oh yeah, I forgot outside my country assault rifles and such weapons are everyday life. Here no-one outside army or police has other guns than single shot handguns & hunting rifles.

The point was, I don't think it's a good idea to assume that all mounts make aiming harder. Who knows if some animal is very smooth in movement? Birds gliding for example. *points at Giant Eagle mounts* It's a very simple task to aim then. Or a mount that is stationary. I may agree that a mount that moves may make it harder simply because of movement, but a mount that is NOT moving is equal to standing still without mount.

But if you go and make mounts have archery penalty, then there better be one for shooting at targets which are moving. It's the VERY same thing
Well yes, but that's looking at it too realistically. The grid nature of DF already puts a pretty sizeable penalty on shooting at moving targets if you've ever watched your crossbowdwarves shooting at flying units. Moving while you shoot will need it's own mechanism to at least drop it down to the same level of accuracy unless you want mounted range units to basically not be killable in anything but horrendously outnumbered situations.

I don't think the AI can currently handle it in a proper way. Now, we're a resourceful lot and we'll basically just reuse our old tricks for taking the punch out of enemy ranged units if need be but if that sort of thing is required to deal with enemies it's safe to say something is wrong with the system.

But never mind that. *wall of physics reasons against it*

Yeah, greater options for power would be great, including powered repeating levers in general, I think.
So basically what you want is a mix between screw pump and lever so you've got the option of running it with dwarves or by hooking up running gears to it.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: November 28, 2009, 07:30:04 pm »

I don't know about linking a lever to a lever (what's the point, really?) but I would like to be able to link a lever to a pressure plate to a pressure plate to cause the plate to freeze in it's current position (or to cause it to become untriggerable and reset, at least) I can see a lot of reasons to do this, but the primary one would be so I can make a single large pressure plate (by linking all plates in an area to each other and to what they trigger... the one plate triggers, causes the effect desired, and then disables itself and the other plates that would, maybe, now disable the desired effect instead of causing it.)

of course, with the increase in the number of necessary mechanisms as the number of linked plates increases... 5 plates would need 35 mechanisms to link to each other and one single other thing, like a bridge, 6 plates would need 48, and so one...

Reese cancels make coherent post, sidetracked by interesting idea
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: November 28, 2009, 07:44:33 pm »

Before we get too far away from the mini-discussion on temperature a little while back; in the new combat system, how much will attacking weapons interact with fixed-temp creatures? For example, if you stick a wooden sword in a magma man, will it catch fire?

EDIT: wait, that would probably fall under the delayed "Item/attacking part damage" list item. Nevermind.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 07:46:25 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7556 on: November 28, 2009, 07:51:52 pm »

Before we get too far away from the mini-discussion on temperature a little while back; in the new combat system, how much will attacking weapons interact with fixed-temp creatures? For example, if you stick a wooden sword in a magma man, will it catch fire?

EDIT: wait, that would probably fall under the delayed "Item/attacking part damage" list item. Nevermind.

I don't think it would fall under that item, which pertains to a new system for damage from physical impacts.  Items already get temp damage, catch fire, etc. in the current version, so it's just a question of whether the creature transfers its temperature to the weapon.  We do know that a weapon can transfer its temperature to a creature, and it would be bizarre if those transfers weren't symmetric, so I would guess the answer is yes, the sword will catch fire:

Quote from: Heph
Does that also apply to weapons/projectiles which are made from a material that has a very high/low fixed temperature? This could interresting effects if a fire-imp-bone-bolt gets stuck in a creature.

A stuck-in should transfer temperatures, yeah.  A fixed-temp stuck-in should suck, yeah.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 07:53:56 pm by Footkerchief »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7557 on: November 28, 2009, 08:54:55 pm »

Right now, a dwarfs clothes catch fire if a Spirit of Fire grapples them. I don't see how it's any different.
!!&!!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: November 28, 2009, 09:57:03 pm »

This got me curious about how much of the bug list is likely to become fixed/obsolete, so I went through the list and picked them out.  It's all guesswork on my part, and probably errs on the side of optimism, so don't take the numbers too seriously.  Below are 99 of the the 490 unfixed bugs:

[...]

As a follow up to this, I went through the Core/Req/Bloat items to see which ones were likely to be marked as completed.

Based on this, my prediction for the next version number is DF v0.31.208.55a.  I included all of the ones I thought probable and 1/3 of the others, so it's complete BS, but hey.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 04:04:46 am by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7559 on: November 28, 2009, 10:03:24 pm »

People are oddly starting to migrate from asking Toady things to asking Footkerchief things.

I already asked Toady something in private (not that it is a big secret, it just is uninteresting and not appropriate to this thread... at least not as far as I know)

It is getting close to going overboard.

Goodness I didn't even realise the 26th was American Thanksgiving.

As far as we know Fireballs are still in the game right? Or did Toady add a "Fire" material and fireballs are now Glob Material breaths? Well I am aware he made a "Fire" material for certain creatures.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 10:09:48 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 1065