Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575419 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6510 on: November 08, 2009, 06:42:23 pm »

ew MS. (234 095 - 143 431) / (365 + 366 + 20 + 31 + 6) = 115.055838 lines of code added per day. Note that this will not count actually-replaced code, but will count commented out code.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: November 08, 2009, 06:46:44 pm »

So yeah, it doesn't seem like there's much left on the list now. I wonder what's going to take so long that Toady doesn't think he'll get it out by year's end? All the testing that'll need to be done?

There are a bit more than 30 items left on the list.  If he kept up his current rate through all of them, he would get done sometime in December.  If the average time per item goes up to much more than a day and a half, it will take until the new year to complete them all.  Personally, I expect the release between Christmas and the New Year, but I am overly optimistic. 

Don't forget some of those are already blued-out! Man, it would be so great if each one left on the list did take a day.

I don't know how complex the squads stuff is, but I expect it'll be the last three items in "final" that will take some of that extra time.

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: November 08, 2009, 07:02:39 pm »

Are Kobolds tailless though?

Edit: yea they're tailless. I tend to imagine them as having tails sometimes.
...*hides tail under cloak protectively*

Tails would be interesting as a genetic trait for Kobolds.

The kobold language is based entirely on how we used to talk to our cats growing up.  The nonsense words would have a roughly consistent meaning for days at a time, but it was very fluid overall, and it's not really about communicating novel ideas to people, especially those that weren't around when a given word became attached to a given object.

So, do kobolds not have the capacity to learn other languages, period? I'm asking from a world perspective, not the effect-of-[UTTERANCES] perspective.

The way I interpret this is that the Kobold's language has a culture of change. So a Kobold would forget a language quite quickly until it realises how its language differs from 'normal' languages. Given that Kobolds don't naturally communicate ideas, this makes a very steep inital learning curve, but it shouldn't be impossible for a Kobold to learn a 'normal' language.

Assuming Toady one has implemented proper Kobolds, I wouldn't expect to see Kobold liasons or diplomats except under unusual worldgen conditions.

Traders might be likely, since accepting or declining a deal can be easily communicated with gestures. Though Kobolds might bring pet Rhesus macaques or something taught to steal like NetHack kittens. Which would be amusing and frustrating.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 07:18:30 pm by Kobold6 »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: November 08, 2009, 07:20:43 pm »

Asidonhopo, Kobold Merchant ;)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: November 08, 2009, 09:26:40 pm »

I've done some calculations, and estimated a release date.
I won't state it here, for fear of overhyping...
Suffice to say, it happens to be the very same date that I'm performing a major upgrade to my computer.
This should be interesting.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: November 08, 2009, 09:37:07 pm »

Well, it comes out when it comes out.

But it better come out sooner rather than later...
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: November 08, 2009, 10:12:38 pm »

Quetsion for Toady: How would you add to your game something like say this fish? The fact that such a thing even exists is amazing to me.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Ixoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: November 08, 2009, 10:14:31 pm »

The compiler thing is pretty much rhetorical, I'm pretty sure you use MCVS, I think.

I asked him about this at the meetup.  He does use Visual Studio, as I recall (formerly MSVC; MCVS is a funny typo though).

Eh. I only used MSVC in school back when it was MSVC. code::Blocks has always has everything I needed, and for free, though granted, linking a compiler to a fresh install (without a built in one) can be a pain.

Ixoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: November 08, 2009, 10:17:23 pm »

ew MS. (234 095 - 143 431) / (365 + 366 + 20 + 31 + 6) = 115.055838 lines of code added per day. Note that this will not count actually-replaced code, but will count commented out code.

Isn't that assuming he worked on DF every day? For quite a while he was taking weekends off. So it would probably be more like 260-300 days a year which would have a big effect on that average for those number nerds :D

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: November 08, 2009, 10:39:25 pm »

Reactions don't know how to handle buckets of water as reagents in terms of getting somebody to fill an empty bucket at a water source as an intermediate step.  You can get at the materials in terms of products or simple reagents (like a boulder of ice).  You can set your custom still to be magma-fueled, at least, or to use regular fuel for the reaction.

Its unlikely I'll actually see the response to this, but can we specify that a workshop needs to be over water, the same way we can over magma (like some of the old 2D buildings)?

That would cause an implied "requires water" ingredient (or at least that water is necessary to the process, such as a workshop that takes in dirty clothing and produces clean clothing).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 10:50:47 pm by Draco18s »

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: November 08, 2009, 10:44:40 pm »

So much green in the first post!

IM SO EXCITED  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 10:47:06 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Sagabal

• Bay Watcher
  • Komrade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: November 08, 2009, 10:52:35 pm »

Quote from: The Kobolds

Okay, I laughed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: November 08, 2009, 10:53:27 pm »

So much is filled in frankly I am just wondering what the slowdown that will delay the game will be.

I mean the rest (minus one map section) just seem like finishing it up.

My Guess is fixing the Cat Bug!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 11:03:18 pm by Neonivek »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: November 08, 2009, 11:07:40 pm »

Squads (last changed Jul 26)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Final
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I beleive the above should provide a sampling of things that either aren't started at all, or are barely started, that will probably consume considerable time.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: November 08, 2009, 11:17:15 pm »

I predict sixty-two days until its released.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 1065