Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3573662 times)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6495 on: November 08, 2009, 01:26:52 pm »

hey pbHead. I'm happy for you and imma let you finish, but this is gonna be one the best releases of all time. OF ALL TIME
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6496 on: November 08, 2009, 01:40:11 pm »

the last two months were preety meager

Yes, Meager... MWAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

Though a lot of it was because Toady started working on... Secret things.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: November 08, 2009, 01:48:34 pm »

hey pbHead. I'm happy for you and imma let you finish, but this is gonna be one the best releases of all time. OF ALL TIME
This is gonna be sum launch party!

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: November 08, 2009, 02:30:10 pm »

Wow another update today? Things are moving pretty quickly now :D
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: November 08, 2009, 02:43:26 pm »

There will be more opportunities for the dungeon master to tame captured critters, but yeah, no dwarven mounts at this time...  and it's always a weird thing in general.  They have short legs.

So, shetland ponies then?  Or, hey, crocodiles, or boars, or stepladders.

...Then you can just hang out in certain jolly forests for a while instead of taking dance classes, or something.

What fun!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: November 08, 2009, 03:06:20 pm »

The squad stuff is a really big piece however.

Hey Toady, I'm just wondering, since you're going to make soldiers carry booze instead of water, would it be possible to do the same for wounded as well? While I'll admit that its part of the fun when you embark somewhere that has little available water and we will have underground sources of water that can be present in a place like a desert. I'm just wondering whether the water drinking is based off of the same code or something and would be possible to trasfer to healthcare.

I know the Healthcare has been greened out a long while ago, I'm just curious since we are about to do the squad stuff and the soldiers drinking booze is mentioned in there.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: November 08, 2009, 03:26:43 pm »

If the mounts that the enemy get are flying, will they fly?
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: November 08, 2009, 03:30:07 pm »

Hey Toady, I'm just wondering, since you're going to make soldiers carry booze instead of water, would it be possible to do the same for wounded as well? While I'll admit that its part of the fun when you embark somewhere that has little available water and we will have underground sources of water that can be present in a place like a desert. I'm just wondering whether the water drinking is based off of the same code or something and would be possible to trasfer to healthcare.

Dunno about this release, but it's coming eventually: # Req573, BOOZE THE WOUNDED, (Future): Wounded dwarves should be brought booze in the absence of or even instead of water.

If the mounts that the enemy get are flying, will they fly?

Yeah, it's clearly implied below that they'll use their flying capabilities, although the pathfinding limitations still apply:

Quote from: Mephansteras
Is pathfinding for flying invaders improved with the new version? In the current version my invaders on flying mounts just sort of sit in the air doing nothing forever.

There were some sieger problems I fixed (they only worked on the left edge of the map as a weird 2D holdover), but the flying ones might still have trouble if they somehow get stuck up in the sky.  I didn't have trouble during my tests, but I can run a few more with that in mind.  Modded-in flying fortress critters are still messed up.  It's a difficult problem overall, but fixing siegers is easier, since they'd just need to flood out to a landing spot if they get confused.  As has been discussed quite a bit, if you actually wall yourself in (but leave a flying way in), fliers won't use it until you open a door.  That's not going to be fixed until there's a (very time-consuming) pathfinding rewrite.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: November 08, 2009, 03:53:55 pm »

Quote from: Willfor
Is there a tag to randomise the associated spheres of a creature? And if there isn't, is it possible for you to implement one before the next release?
Quote from: Willfor
Damn. I was hoping to have something impersonating a god that wasn't a horribly evil monster and/or associated with deformity, but I suppose that will have to wait.
Quote from: Demonic Gophers
You could mod in POWER megabeasts with positive Spheres.

Yeah, that'll work -- if you add [POWER][MEGABEAST][INTELLIGENT_LEARNS] and then any spheres you feel good about for a given creature, it should impersonate those gods.  The only downside to this method is that the name of an individual creature will draw from all the spheres, so you'll get a wider, mushier selection of names the more spheres you add.  It might also cause more wars, since there's more opportunity for conflict (or even worse, if you have conflicting spheres on one creature, the behavior might be a bit confused -- not that they'd attack themselves, but the code won't get it, anyway).

Solution: You could just do a dozen variations on the same megabeast, all with the same name, but for each give it a different set of spheres.

So you'd have [BLUE_EYES_WHITE_DRAGON_1] with [MOUNTAINS] and [DARKNESS], [BLUE_EYES_WHITE_DRAGON_2] with [POETRY] and [WEATHER], etc.

Of course, that particular critter would then have a disproportionate number in worldgen. To fix that, you'd just have to do the exact same thing for all your other megabeasts (but without the variation).

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: November 08, 2009, 03:56:39 pm »

^^^ Clever solution, although having duplicates of the non-varied megabeasts would have some quirky side effects like "2 bronze colossuses ... 5 bronze colossuses" in stuff like kill lists, population counts and so on.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: November 08, 2009, 04:08:25 pm »

Yeah, it's not perfect.

Wow, these dev logs and text walls have been hilarious.

"having armless bird animal peoples is kind of like having...  birds."

"Then you can just hang out in certain jolly forests for a while instead of taking dance classes, or something."

And heh, "god of religious observance". Sounds like any formal religion AMIRIGHT?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"I'd give the gibbon treatment to everything if I had the time."

So yeah, it doesn't seem like there's much left on the list now. I wonder what's going to take so long that Toady doesn't think he'll get it out by year's end? All the testing that'll need to be done?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: November 08, 2009, 05:09:15 pm »

Are Kobolds tailless though?

Edit: yea they're tailless. I tend to imagine them as having tails sometimes.
...*hides tail under cloak protectively*

So, do kobolds not have the capacity to learn other languages, period? I'm asking from a world perspective, not the effect-of-[UTTERANCES] perspective.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 05:15:15 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Ixoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: November 08, 2009, 05:17:47 pm »

Quote from: Ixoran
I was just curious as to how big the Dwarf Fortress code base is these days. It seems like it'd be a huge amount of code.

Yeah, Footkerchief pulled out the "Doing a search for the character ;, which ends a statement in C/C++, I get 143431 lines containing it.  This doesn't count complex conditionals or additional statements on the same line, and it does count things like "break;" and commented-out code blocks, so it's a rough estimate." from Sept 2007, and I can just do that again... 234095.

So, You've wrote just under 100k lines in just over two years(a Bit under if you only count working days)...
That seems absolutely ridiculous to me. I mean, WOW.

Most of my programming projects and little games struggle to reach 10k lines of code.

What Compiler/GUI do you use? MCVS? I know code::blocks has a code statistics plugin built in that gives you a bunch of info like how many lines, and how much of your code is whitespace and comments and blah blah.

Thanks for the Answer :D. The compiler thing is pretty much rhetorical, I'm pretty sure you use MCVS, I think.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 05:21:02 pm by Ixoran »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: November 08, 2009, 05:23:01 pm »

So yeah, it doesn't seem like there's much left on the list now. I wonder what's going to take so long that Toady doesn't think he'll get it out by year's end? All the testing that'll need to be done?

There are a bit more than 30 items left on the list.  If he kept up his current rate through all of them, he would get done sometime in December.  If the average time per item goes up to much more than a day and a half, it will take until the new year to complete them all.  Personally, I expect the release between Christmas and the New Year, but I am overly optimistic. 
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: November 08, 2009, 06:12:28 pm »

The compiler thing is pretty much rhetorical, I'm pretty sure you use MCVS, I think.

I asked him about this at the meetup.  He does use Visual Studio, as I recall (formerly MSVC; MCVS is a funny typo though).
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 1065