Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575373 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6525 on: November 08, 2009, 11:30:10 pm »

I predict that the release date is the average of all the predicted release dates.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: November 08, 2009, 11:42:03 pm »

Whitch is?
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6527 on: November 08, 2009, 11:53:33 pm »

Whitch is?

It really depends if he means the average now which is December to February (making it January)

Or all the guesss... in which the game would have long since came out already .

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6528 on: November 09, 2009, 12:06:22 am »

ew MS. (234 095 - 143 431) / (365 + 366 + 20 + 31 + 6) = 115.055838 lines of code added per day. Note that this will not count actually-replaced code, but will count commented out code.

Isn't that assuming he worked on DF every day? For quite a while he was taking weekends off. So it would probably be more like 260-300 days a year which would have a big effect on that average for those number nerds :D
Sure. Though, for many moons he has been forgoing the "weekend lumps". If I wanted the real number I'd go and check the "end of month days" he posted.
I beleive the above should provide a sampling of things that either aren't started at all, or are barely started, that will probably consume considerable time.
I thought that about "remove demons as forced powers" too. Formations are delayable, I think. So is the 40d# stuff.
  • Handling butchery/rot/fish cleaning/eat leavings vs. body materials
would be one I'm less sanguine about, for taking time and being necessary.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6529 on: November 09, 2009, 12:19:46 am »

To be honest, I do expect the release before the end of the year.  I just also think that there are plenty of opportunities for a snag.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6530 on: November 09, 2009, 12:20:39 am »

Yeah, I can imagine butchering taking a while to sort out, with all the new tissue stuff. Hopefully we'll see some improvement with the weirdness associated with the fishing industry!

Quetsion for Toady: How would you add to your game something like say this fish? The fact that such a thing even exists is amazing to me.
That blobfish thing is spectacularly weird. The physics of it would indeed probably be quite tricky. Fortunately, it looks like it lives way too deep to appear in dwarf fortress.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6531 on: November 09, 2009, 12:44:10 am »

I wouldn't mind if Toady postponed the squads changes untill a mini-update after the big release comes out.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6532 on: November 09, 2009, 12:57:16 am »

He might leave formations out for now, which is alright since we probably won't care for formations till army arc starts. It'll be nice to actualy use the fortress guard though, now I can my guards some positions to, eh, guard, so the military can worry about military-ey activities.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6533 on: November 09, 2009, 01:36:19 am »

• Handling butchery/rot/fish cleaning/eat leavings vs. body materials
would be one I'm less sanguine about, for taking time and being necessary.

Yup.  Toady even mentioned that one specifically in DF Talk 4:

December was just going to be a mess of clean up, like doing butchery, because right now it doesn't understand how to read through their bodies to get like the amount of fat that comes out of a particularly fat dead creature. Because there's a lot of cool things; like a big fat dwarf - if you decide to skin a dwarf - a big fat dwarf would give you more fat for more candles and stuff than a little skinny dwarf, or a walrus or whatever. So that's all going to be cool, but it all needs to be done, and there's really no other way to do it, now that I've got these bodies, unless I just stick with the hardcoded tags that I had before, but in a sense I can't really do that either. And there's things like the hydra problems, like if you chopped off a couple of hydra's heads you would not want seven skulls instead of five; people insist on the five skulls, and I insist on the five skulls so I'm probably not going to put that kind of consideration off.

But that item is worth spending some time on, so I don't mind.  Current butchery lacks some obvious stuff like entrails and organ meats.  Plus, cloth items have sizes now, so if Toady decides to implement "having clothing item production consume different amounts of cloth," that could mitigate some weirdness like being able to make a leather robe from a kitten hide.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6534 on: November 09, 2009, 02:12:48 am »

At the meetup it did seem like Toady had some specific things in mind to probably cut from this release (and tackle soon after).  He didn't say what, but it's easy to narrow down the list of plausible candidates to something like this:

• Familiarity with individual weapons, attachment to them, weapon mentions in legends
  • Ability to create formations and have squads hold a given formation at a position or during movement
  • Formation drills, with training having an impact on the ability to hold formation and overall military discipline
  • Booze instead of water should be allowed
  • Ability to use free time for additional practice/drills if so inclined
  • Consider rope/ladder/etc. building particularly for downward movement into large open spaces

I'd be happy to see any or all of these punted, and I have a hard time imagining the release feeling in any way incomplete for lack of them.  They're all cool, but if they weren't on the list for this release, there would be no need to add them; at this point in a project, I think that's a good litmus test.  If you can produce something that can be accepted as done without it, pass on it for the moment.

Anyone think there are other candidates for the cut list, or think some of the above must go in?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6535 on: November 09, 2009, 02:33:00 am »

• Consider rope/ladder/etc. building particularly for downward movement into large open spaces
Anyone think there are other candidates for the cut list, or think some of the above must go in?
This one, or at least some way to construct DOWN is very likely to be needed for cave exploration. Presently you may not construct downwards.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6536 on: November 09, 2009, 02:43:10 am »

This one, or at least some way to construct DOWN is very likely to be needed for cave exploration. Presently you may not construct downwards.

It would be helpful for sure, but you'll still generally be able to dig a cool walkway down the cave wall or something.  Unless the cave is so big that you can't see where the cave wall is, I guess.

Also, yeah, formations is one item that Toady explicitly mentioned as likely to get cut.  It'll fit in fine with the siege improvements anyway.  Booze-waterskins and the individual weapon stuff would be cool, though.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:25:40 am by Footkerchief »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6537 on: November 09, 2009, 03:48:21 am »

I would expect that quite a bit of the brand new feature stuff under squads will get cut out for time, which is fine.  Not that I have any idea how hard or simple any of that stuff is to design.  What I worry about though is how Underground Features still isn't officially done, including the "ropes/ladders" snake nest that hasn't been touched.  I have to wonder if he just didn't mark that off for safety's sake, or if Toady really is going to go back and tackle yet more underground stuff that he won't talk about.

I hate to prod this discussion myself, but it keeps coming up.  I have to wonder how anyone can come to the conclusion of "building downward" being the natural answer.  Go up on your roof with some 2x4s, and build a staircase downward.  Then tell me how easy it'd be to do from the ceiling of a cave with masonry.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:51:47 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6538 on: November 09, 2009, 04:53:04 am »

Build staircase on roof,attach staircase to edge. I don't think it's good as a PERMANENT solution, but if rope ladders are that hard, I'm fine with them temporarily.
Tilesets

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #6539 on: November 09, 2009, 05:10:39 am »

I would expect that quite a bit of the brand new feature stuff under squads will get cut out for time, which is fine.

Fine? No, it is not fine, it is necessary. Every feature cut from next release means it will happen sooner. Which is good thing for pretty much everybody.
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 1065