Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578463 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6540 on: November 09, 2009, 05:26:16 am »

I'm going to laugh (cry IRL) if by some godforsaken coincidence or act of Armok, Toady releases while I'm visiting my girlfriend on the East Coast and gone for a while in January.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: November 09, 2009, 07:38:46 am »

At the meetup it did seem like Toady had some specific things in mind to probably cut from this release (and tackle soon after).  He didn't say what, but it's easy to narrow down the list of plausible candidates to something like this

Well just check the Venom list and you get a huge bunch of cut content

As for further cutting it can't be anything that breaks save compatability, leaves in bugs, or that doesn't take a long time.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 07:44:14 am by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: November 09, 2009, 07:53:33 am »

Check out the list now, the entities was greened out and the formations were dropped from squads.

Seriously, teaching my dwarves to use a Phalanx formation with shields and spears would be very cool, but as others have said, this can wait until the army arc because the squads as a whole need a overhaul.

Although the instructor led training is certainly a good starting point on the way to getting formations

There was a reason why the Romans had powerful militaries. Until they spread themselves too thin with the conquests and got chewed up by invaders.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 07:55:37 am by smjjames »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: November 09, 2009, 09:01:33 am »

They hired their enemies to do their fighting for them or just tried to buy any potential enemies off, citizen lazyness and political expedience are what destroyed the Empire in the end. 
IMHO anyhow. :)

Are kobolds like gremlins? (edit: As seen in the movies)
(IIRC there are/were proper gremlin creatures at one point, will these become a position within kobold society or remain a seperate species?)

Rodent demon: el Chupacabra?

downward void travel:
ropeladders degrading with use would make them pretty temporary. I'd advice for checking durability before each use in such case, falling dwarves is funny, but should be avoidable or it will be just annoying.
Personally I still prefer a bucket lift, that requires work-energy for upward movement. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:15:11 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #6544 on: November 09, 2009, 09:26:40 am »

Didn't see it in the list but I figured I'd ask since the poor management right now has caused me quite a few Code BFTBGs that made me cease to attempt to arm my military.

I'm going too deep on purpose to raise some ideas/personal visions of the whole thing.

Are there plans for the military to spar using practice bone/wooden weapons?  Will dwarves switch to their main weapon when placed on duty?  If no practice weapons are available, would the dwarves resort to wrestling, or practice against a dummy or imaginary foe?  Are there plans for specific shield and armor training rather than it being a by-product of wearing and fighting with them?  Are military units going to recognize the existence of their own belongings or will they leave clothes lying around without any possibly of them ever getting picked up?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 02:20:39 pm by Shurikane »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: November 09, 2009, 09:38:56 am »

Are kobolds like gremlins?

No, and gremlins are on the way back! Expect to see them during this release. If I remember correctly that is.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: November 09, 2009, 09:47:39 am »

Yay!  You need to be careful where you put your fuck the world levers again!  Woo!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: November 09, 2009, 09:53:24 am »

You mean the gremlins from the 2D days right?

Anyways looking at Toady's Dev blog, I feel happy to see entities all green now. Still it's sad to see that formations have been tossed out, but Toady does have a point since they're not going to be really useful at this point. So I'm fine without that. Though the I would like to see some like the booze instead of water in water packs make it through. That I think would be useful.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: November 09, 2009, 10:45:40 am »

I'm fine with formations going out. To really be useful you need to have the ability to change formations as needed, and to make things really interesting you need an AI that can do the same. So...not needed for this release, and probably warrants a whole mini-release of its own.

I can't recall seeing an answer to this: Will diplomats that die in fort mode get replacements now?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: November 09, 2009, 10:50:22 am »

The gremlins from 2D indeed.  ;D

Formations being out for now doesn't mean we have to wait longer for it, just less-longer for the other stuff that's already done (if nothing else comes in between which it probably will). Personally I'm not all that excited about the formations part but it will probably be cool once it's done.  :)
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6550 on: November 09, 2009, 11:02:43 am »

I'm going to laugh (cry IRL) if by some godforsaken coincidence or act of Armok, Toady releases while I'm visiting my girlfriend on the East Coast and gone for a while in January.

you should be relieved. If he released it before, you might be tempted to play dwarf fortress instead of spend time with your woman.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: November 09, 2009, 11:44:54 am »

you should be relieved. If he released it before, you might be tempted to play dwarf fortress instead of spend time with your woman.
"Honey, I can spend time with you whenever I want to, but this guy, he just updated this awesome game!"
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: November 09, 2009, 12:25:53 pm »

Are kobolds like gremlins? (edit: As seen in the movies)

What movies were those?

I can't recall seeing an answer to this: Will diplomats that die in fort mode get replacements now?

It's come up:

This is about monarchs, but I think the succession issues are the same in both cases:

Quote from: BloodBeard
Will how kings and queens come to power be changed to reflect actual monarchies? Like when a king or queen dies, their oldest child or the nearest of kin becomes the new monarch.

This already happens in world generation.  In-game succession is a slightly harder problem that is up on dev_next.  It might get a placeholder sooner than that but I can't guarantee anything.

I'm guessing that since there hasn't been any further mention of that placeholder, we won't see it this time around.  I'm just glad to see Entity Positions done, though.  If the rest of Squads goes that smoothly...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: November 09, 2009, 01:03:44 pm »

Though the I would like to see some like the booze instead of water in water packs make it through. That I think would be useful.

I think that's a potential deathtrap.

Consider:

Squad packs some dwarven rum in flasks in their backpacks. Squad goes out to confront fire imp. Fire imp tags Urist McImpfodder with a fireball. Urist is on fire. Fire reaches the rum flask, which cooks off like a hand grenade. Remaining squad members are now covered with !!dwarf chunk!!...and are packing their own Molotov cocktails.

On the upside, it becomes more feasible to create dwarven suicide bombers.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: November 09, 2009, 01:15:20 pm »

DF booze has never exploded.  It just boils.  Hot gases used to do more damage to creatures, but they don't do much now.
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 1065