Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1668090 times)

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #12165 on: June 12, 2014, 12:34:50 pm »

Still using minotaur bezerkers. better than other stuff, but im kind of careless so i am usually dead in lair or before it...

1. amulet of rage: is this useful to a trog follower? If i use that bezerk do i avoid using up piety? I ask because i want to maximize my god drops to try to get artefacts.
2. crossbow/longbow: if i find a longbow should i use that instead of a crossbow? guy who posted about bezerk likes crossbow. bolts are rarer than arrows and there seem to be alot more special arrows than special bolts.
3. this is what i have been training..
axe,fight,armor like suggested. at about 14 axe, i switchc to 100% evoc to get to 10. to use my wands.
back to axe only

usually dead before i switch. so far i have not gotten enough bolts and/or a crossbow yet to make it worthwhile training range. i die before that.

4. should i even test magic weapons? died once when i took off an axe of distortion? i generally try to upgrade from handaxes, so if i get a handaxe one i need to take it off. i got out of the abyss once when i got banished there, but i got lucky and got a gate relatively quickly and had an amulet of resist mutatoin.

5. what is the best amulet for a bezerker to wear? i kind of like gourmand. i find i waste less food and can pray more over food to keep piety up and get more god gifts in hopes of getting some artefacts?
6. god gifts: I mainly get axes, but sometimes i get other stuff. i thought it was because i was carrying around other types of weapons. but it happens when i am not .how does the game determine waht type of weapon i get? it looks like a waited average. most of the time ill get the item i am most skilled in (only train in axes) but a small percentage ig et other stuff.
7. if i have potions of mutaton and cure mutation. is it safe to play roulette? I dont know how the cure nmutation works. does it remove the most recent mutatons first? I dont want to lose my good mutatons i may have gotten earlier, but if ih ave cure, id like to gamble and then take them off.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12166 on: June 12, 2014, 12:57:29 pm »

1. No. Also Trog's berserk only costs hunger, not piety.
4. Wield-identifying weapons is a gamble, you have to decide whether it is worth it or not. As others have said the odds of getting a distortion weapon and a subsequent banishment are low, but consider how many times you will take the chance over the course of a game.
5. There isn't a 'best'. Gourmand is a good general use amulet sure. Clarity or Resist Mutation can save your ass in certain situations. Conservation and Resist Corrosion can save your precious loot in others.
6. It's random and for weapons it has nothing to do with what you are carrying but rather with your skills i.e. high axe skill will make axes far more likely.
7. Cure mutation removes mutations randomly. What you propose probably won't be worth it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:01:24 pm by TripJack »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12167 on: June 12, 2014, 01:02:53 pm »

1) You should not use the amulet of rage : It needs high evoc skill to get a good chance of activating. (EDIt: oh , and no piety berkering ! :D )

2) Xbow/longbow : you can use either one (don't train both, this would be a waste). Bows use your strength to determine the damage, and you need a LONGbow to really deal some, so an early Xbow usually is better. Thing is, with Trog, you will be gifted bow/Xbows, once you get some trining in the relevant skill, so you shouldn't worry about that. Also, you will naturally find bolts (and branded ones), once you meet yaktaurs (which are simply tougher centaurs with Xbows). I would personally go for Xbow (except if I find a really good artifact longbow), because they have a speciakl brand : Penetration. Those bolts go through their target, and damage everyone in a line. (Bows have Dispersal, as a special brand, that teleport the enemy, usually farther away from you)

3) Your training plan sounds good.

4) You should weild-ID weapons that seem promisong : no use weilding an Hand-axe if you already have a nice Broad-axe, or something better.

5) Amulets are pretty situationnal. I would say Guardian Spirit (the damage you take is done to your mana first) is the best, especialyl when you have put some XP in evocation (because it increase you max mana).

6) The gifts are weighted by your skills, so you will get more axes if you put XP in axes. You only get weapons you can wield (so no Giant Club if you're not ogre/troll), and once you put 8 in a ranged skills, you get ammos for this skill (branded ones sometimes). It may be advisable to let the ranged skill you train under 8 (if you train one) until you have a good melee weapon, as the "piety timer" between gifts is shared between the ammos and the weapons (so you'll receive less weapons, once you are elligible for ammos).

7) cure mutation remove a random number of mutation (92% of removing at least 3), and mutation gives you 3 mutations. It may be fun to try, especially if you find a amulet of resist mutation before ZoT ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:05:55 pm by tompliss »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12168 on: June 12, 2014, 01:30:28 pm »

Im almost done with Lair with my MiBe (currently at Lair:7 I think), any recommendations what to do after it? I have a ring of poison+elec resist, armor of cold resist, a ring of evasion, a ring of sustenance and a ring of protection (and a ring of fire & cold resist). Got a nice +0, +4 broad axe of electrocution from Trog.

I've found Swamp, Orc and Slime so far.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12169 on: June 12, 2014, 02:10:01 pm »

Im almost done with Lair with my MiBe (currently at Lair:7 I think), any recommendations what to do after it? I have a ring of poison+elec resist, armor of cold resist, a ring of evasion, a ring of sustenance and a ring of protection (and a ring of fire & cold resist). Got a nice +0, +4 broad axe of electrocution from Trog.

I've found Swamp, Orc and Slime so far.
I assume you haven't explored the main Dungeon after your found lair? In that case you should.
Until you find something tough or hit the Depths portal.
You could also go for the first three levels Orc if you are careful. Just be aware that nasty Orc variants (Sorcerer, High Priest, Knight, Warlord) can spawn even outside of Orc:4. It's a decent place to get some piety for gods that like killing and sacrifices.

Then again I haven't played for a while, so my advice might be outdated.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12170 on: June 12, 2014, 02:30:23 pm »

@tompliss you said its worth trying a potion of mutatoin if i have an amulet of resist mutation. so your saying that only blocks negative mutations?

1. The Experience level cap is 27 right? Does that mean I don't gain skill exp after that and I am topped out?
2. Others have said strength has been nerfed right? So it doesn't do much? So if i find a good artefact weapon and it lowers strength by say 5 or so, is that trade off worth it?
3. evade/AC: as minotaur AC is better I see that. Is there some number of evade going down and AC going up that is a good trade off? Should I ever train dodge as a min/bezerker?
4. how useful are scrolls like scroll of fog? I read the wiki, looks like they are occassionalyl useful? Trying to figure out what i should keep or drop?
5. how tight is gold? I have found shops in the game and I generally err on the side of caution. Ibuy scrolls of remove curse, identfiied, and potions that heal mainly. I dont just spend gold. i dont get that far either...
6. if ih ave say a hand axe that is +5,+5 will that be better than an non-echanted batteleaxe? not sure how to tell?
7. so freezing, anti-magic, and vampiric are the best brands right? from what i am reading.
8. how much does the artefact that has random going bezerk hurt you? I know there is some amulet that will block it, but lets say i dont have that.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12171 on: June 12, 2014, 02:33:55 pm »

Your axe seems really nice :D

As mindmaker said, the next levels of the dungeon and the first levels of the Orc Mines (you may want to make sure you take every stairs there) are the way to continue.
Try to keep your rings of elemental resist on you, even without putting them one, in case you find elemental typed enemies, of even the timed branches (Ice cave and Volcano).

Also, you should explore a bit more the Lair (take every up and down stair), as there is normally 3 branch entries, there. You should find spider or snake branch there. With poison resist, you should be able to clear at least the first levels, after orc/duingeon.
Also, if Trog gives you a Flamming axe, keep it for the Swamp : there are many hydras, there.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12172 on: June 12, 2014, 02:43:27 pm »

Trog just gave me a +2 +11 battleaxe of electrocution 8)
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12173 on: June 12, 2014, 02:49:34 pm »

1. You still gain skills.
2. It's been buffed recently.
3. People recommend aiming for 20 in one of the defense stats before/during lair (small races can easily have 20 EV by then). As it's been said before, when your skill advancement slows down you'll get fewer out of the same amout of XP from a skill you have trained a lot, than from a skill you haven't trained at all.
Basically if you notice that your skill doesn't progress despite having killed dozens of monsters, it might be time to switch to one of the lower skills.
4. Fog can save your ass if you are faced with dangerous casters/ranged enemies at max range, since their attacks/spells require LOS, which fog blocks.
5. Not tight at all. You can spend everything you find, since it's not unusual to end the game with a lot of excess gold. Unless you find a good, expensive items in an early shop, in which case you may want to save up.
6. A rule of thumb I've been using is that 1 base damage is worth as much as +2 damage enchantments (or so I've heard). +hit enchantment is nice to have, but not that much of a big deal. Of course there are people that will recommend having a certain skillevel before switching to good weapons, but most of the time you'll do well enough to equip the biggest, meanest weapon you can find, unless you haven't trained the weapon skill at all.
7. Freezing is great for Lair. Fire is very useful for Hydras, although they can be killed with other means. Antimagic is a good brand to have for mid and lategame due to casters. Poison for early hit and run tactics. Elec is insanely good on fast weapons, so is distortion although problematic. Draining is decent in non-undead branches. Vampiric is great on hard hitting weapons in non-undead branches. Holy wrath is the best post-game brand hands off, pretty much useless earlygame. Pain can be good with a lot of necromancy skill, on fast weapons in non-undead branches. Vorpal can be pretty good on a longbow and okay-ish on hard hitting weapons. Chaos is way to unreliable and may kill you.
I think that covers it.
8. Not sure how bad the beserktis is that it gives you. If it's anything like the level 1 mutation, then not all that bad. But it can still kill you if it activates at the wrong time.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12174 on: June 12, 2014, 05:07:02 pm »

4. should i even test magic weapons? died once when i took off an axe of distortion? i generally try to upgrade from handaxes, so if i get a handaxe one i need to take it off. i got out of the abyss once when i got banished there, but i got lucky and got a gate relatively quickly and had an amulet of resist mutatoin.
Distortion is actually a very good brand, so before wield-IDing a weapon you can just think "would I be ok with using this axe for a while if it's distortion?"  In a lot of cases the answer will be yes.
5. what is the best amulet for a bezerker to wear? i kind of like gourmand. i find i waste less food and can pray more over food to keep piety up and get more god gifts in hopes of getting some artefacts?
Food isn't an important issue, especially if you're not casting any spells.  Don't be afraid to eat permafood once in a while.

The best non-artifact amulet in almost all cases is Faith, and this is particularly true for berserkers.  It lets you use Brothers in Arms more often, which is great, and even if you don't it causes you to get more weapon gifts (and this increase is vastly more significant than any Gourmand could give you).  Guardian Spirit would also be ok, since you aren't going to be using your MP much otherwise.

6. god gifts: I mainly get axes, but sometimes i get other stuff. i thought it was because i was carrying around other types of weapons. but it happens when i am not .how does the game determine waht type of weapon i get? it looks like a waited average. most of the time ill get the item i am most skilled in (only train in axes) but a small percentage ig et other stuff.
It's weighted towards your skills and weapons you haven't seen before.
7. if i have potions of mutaton and cure mutation. is it safe to play roulette? I dont know how the cure nmutation works. does it remove the most recent mutatons first? I dont want to lose my good mutatons i may have gotten earlier, but if ih ave cure, id like to gamble and then take them off.
Cure Mutation hits random mutations.  If you have good mutations already then you probably shouldn't mess with them.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12175 on: June 13, 2014, 04:33:40 am »

I knew I forgot to mention something, because I did find the Spider Branch already. And maybe snake, I'm not sure.

At what axe skill level should I start using my executioner's axe of anti-wizardry? I'm almost at minimum delay with my electric broad axe.

(Also, my broad axe was originally at +0 +0, I enchanted it to +4)

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12176 on: June 13, 2014, 05:16:54 am »

Anti-magic doesn't do extra damage, but prevent mages from casting. It will be very useful in Depths/Zot, against most Uniques, and generally against mages. Electric adds damage to nearly everybody (elec resist is pretty rare), and even with the damage difference between Exec and Broad (both at different enchentmants levels ?), the choice isn't really an obvious one :p

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12177 on: June 13, 2014, 05:44:51 am »

Anti-magic is very, very awesome. It also affects some creatures as well, so it's not just casters in the usual sense.

Trog is weighted to strongly favor granting anti-magic, so you should always get an anti-magic executioners axe at some point. If it's got goodish attributes (+3/4 damage) then just put all your enchant scrolls into it and it'll take you to the finish.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12178 on: June 13, 2014, 05:46:21 am »

PTW.
Also dammit, orc priests.

With that said, is Beogh a good choice for a hill orc fighter?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12179 on: June 13, 2014, 06:00:02 am »

The executioner's axe is enchanted pretty well, like +2,+4 or something like that IIRC. I'm just not sure if I already have the skill to wield it.

Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 990