Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 808 809 [810] 811 812 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1667830 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #12135 on: June 10, 2014, 12:45:37 pm »

Sorry, was thinking back to old versions - definitely better for halflings or spriggans. Spriggans make good assassins/anything due to their fast speed and small size
I don't know what you mean by old versions, Kobolds have always been bad due to their -2HP.  There was a brief period when Kobold Berserker was a popular combo, but that was more down to the strength of the Berserker class and people mistakenly thinking food was a relevant factor.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12136 on: June 10, 2014, 02:36:07 pm »

One of the big advantage that made Kobold attractive is that it had Carnivores 3 without any metabolism counterpart unlike a Troll had.

For people that dislike the food minigame like me, not because it has any challenge, but because it's an unfun and boring part of the gameplay (especially with autoexplore that eat tons of turns each seconds, it give you the feeling that nearly every minute your character is "hungry") Kobold was great, as you would eat until engorged, and after that you could play a very long amount of time without getting into the "hungry" state again.

That without having to deal with the food problem of Trolls in some foodless/chunkless dungeon branches and without having to deal with the bad skills of foodless race like Mummy.

It was a big reason for me to use Kobolds a lot, unfortunately since the game gives less health than in older versions when increasing Fighting , the 20% health penalty is rather hard on the poor bugger and make it less interesting nowadays.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:39:06 pm by Robsoie »

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12137 on: June 10, 2014, 02:42:44 pm »

I don't think I'd suggest any Kobold as an easy game, they get -2HP and very little in return.  Halflings are better due to their increased HP, even with their recent trunk nerf.

KoBe. Let's Play. 1st try.  :P

Yeah, halflings are (still) better. Though, I'd probably pick a spriggan over either, due to halfling's recently nerfed aptitudes. And slings are apparently useless now. They gained +1 armor apt, which is pointless for a small race with massive dex/lousy str.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12138 on: June 10, 2014, 02:43:39 pm »

Sorry, was thinking back to old versions - definitely better for halflings or spriggans. Spriggans make good assassins/anything due to their fast speed and small size
I don't know what you mean by old versions, Kobolds have always been bad due to their -2HP.  There was a brief period when Kobold Berserker was a popular combo, but that was more down to the strength of the Berserker class and people mistakenly thinking food was a relevant factor.
I don't think (although I've never tried) that stuffing your face till bloated (I forget what the highest satiation level is called) with permafood would work all that well in earlygame.
But you're right, it's not that much of a big deal it's just a convenience feature.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12139 on: June 10, 2014, 04:04:06 pm »

Congrats! Why did you max out shields?
Shield skill improves the Divine Shield ability from TSO. 27 skill may be too much (or rather, the difference between 20 and 27 would not save your life as easily as the difference between 20 dodging and 27 dodging), on the other hand.

I know. Going from 20 to 27 takes an enormous amount of exp, which could have raised multiple skills by several levels. He also maxed out invocations. Having some utility spells could have made the game much easier.

Short answer is I stopped paying enough attention to my skills after a while; GrFi is really, really good, especially with the loot I had. The only bad spot I had was when I was at the bottom of Gehenna and ran into the Hell Serpent and the player ghost of a Troll Wizard who knew Shatter, along with some Hell Knights who were essentially health packs for me, and even though I was sloppy and took too much damage I managed to TP away after killing the ghost. I had intended to go with a more hybrid spellcasting role (going so far as to learn Summon Butterflies when the opportunity arose,) but then I found that excellent plate armor and basically forgot about it.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12140 on: June 10, 2014, 05:00:01 pm »

I don't understand what you mean.  If by "regular dragon armours" you mean "mottled" then yeah, it's probably not worth upping strength for that.  But for anything heavier strength is a significant factor, particularly if you're starting from low strength.
The encumberance 11 Dragon Armours for the most part. At least those used to work fine on most characters that didn't rely too much on casting or sneaking.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12141 on: June 11, 2014, 12:12:23 pm »

On the subject of training skills, a worthwhile fact to remember is that the experience it takes to bring a skill from 22 to 27 is roughly the same as the experience it takes to go from 0 to 22.

So for example, you'll have a lot better defenses with 22 armor skill and 22 dodging skill than you would have with 27 armor skill and 0 dodging skill.  It's usually better to spread out your training a bit, for that reason.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12142 on: June 11, 2014, 01:36:14 pm »

I just started playing this again and I am basically a newbie. Just doing a MiBe with axes. Ran away from Sigmund on level 2, and Trog just gave me a runed executioner's axe at D:6

Not entirely sure what to do now...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12143 on: June 11, 2014, 01:42:45 pm »

Exec axes are the most powerful axes, but also the least accurate and the slowest.
If I were you, I would wield it to identify it.
But, depending on your skills, it may not be the time to wield it for combat.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12144 on: June 11, 2014, 02:18:22 pm »

I ment in general, but I guess I didn't give enough info for that :P (Don't have time for that)

I do have another question however:
I couldnt figure out how to set my skills in the m menu (using tiles)
so i used the skills menu that goes in the place of the inventory by using the tab boxes at the left of the inventory. I set fighting and armor to be normally bright, axes to have a blue glow (is that focused?) and the rest to be darker-ish, is that correct? The menu is a little confusing and I can't seem to do anything in the m menu.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12145 on: June 11, 2014, 02:29:45 pm »

I just started playing this again and I am basically a newbie. Just doing a MiBe with axes. Ran away from Sigmund on level 2, and Trog just gave me a runed executioner's axe at D:6

Not entirely sure what to do now...
Sigmund is actually pretty manageable as a Berserker, just lure him around a corner, berserk and enjoy your level up.

What exactly is your problem?
If you don't know in what order to tackle the different branches and how far to advance, theres this quite outdated walkthrough on the wiki that I used to stick to back when I was learning the game.
It's a bit too risky in some regards, a bit to cautious in others and some lategame branches might be done in different orders, but I've won the game with it and developed my own style in terms of doing those, like diving for runes early instead of training up for branch ending.

I do have another question however:
I couldnt figure out how to set my skills in the m menu (using tiles)
so i used the skills menu that goes in the place of the inventory by using the tab boxes at the left of the inventory. I set fighting and armor to be normally bright, axes to have a blue glow (is that focused?) and the rest to be darker-ish, is that correct? The menu is a little confusing and I can't seem to do anything in the m menu.
You can set the skill you want to train in the menue by pressing Shift + skillshortcut. Once you have it at the value you want, you can set another skill in the same manner.
Training one skill at a time is the most efficient method.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:32:52 pm by Mindmaker »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12146 on: June 11, 2014, 03:10:25 pm »

But there is no need to use the "most efficient" method, expecially on a berserker (which is an "easy" class).
Training Axes with emphasis, and fighting and armor normally is good. Just make sure you put the skill training on "manual" (at the bottom of the skill window).

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12147 on: June 11, 2014, 03:21:31 pm »

But there is no need to use the "most efficient" method, expecially on a berserker (which is an "easy" class).
Training Axes with emphasis, and fighting and armor normally is good. Just make sure you put the skill training on "manual" (at the bottom of the skill window).
There is.
What use is there having two skills stuck on .5 when you could have one on a full level and reap the benefits?

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12148 on: June 11, 2014, 03:38:26 pm »

You're wrong on this one : Crawl uses every little fraction of every skill you have.
0.5 in a skill will give you half the benefits that 1.0 in that skill would give you. (in fact it even handle fractions that aren't shown to the users, if you have, for example, 0.4685 in a skill).

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12149 on: June 11, 2014, 03:49:21 pm »

Since when?
Either way, it's usually one area you are lacking in (offense, defense) that you want to fix as fast as possible.
Pages: 1 ... 808 809 [810] 811 812 ... 990