Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1668089 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #12195 on: June 13, 2014, 01:45:09 pm »

Suprisingly good run as a Demonspawn Chaos Knight right now. Just picked up my third rune.
I think I'll aim for 5 runes for now and then decide if I want to try the other ones.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12196 on: June 13, 2014, 01:57:20 pm »

Demonspawn are a lot of fun. I love classes that evolve as you play them, maybe pushing you into a build you didn't originally intend. Unfortunately the only other class like this is Draconian :(

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12197 on: June 13, 2014, 02:02:00 pm »

I remember playing a Demonspawn Fighter who started getting all the monstrous mutations and found an early Jivya altar. So unarmed combat it was.
That was a fun run.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12198 on: June 13, 2014, 02:17:00 pm »

Slimes are nasty like that.  If you see multiple slimes, think about if you can fight them in the open(the opposite of what you do vs every other creature).
They only combine if they have to to get to you.  Also, for some reason, they seem to sit in place a few turns after growing really large, so you can use that time to GTFO.

It seems that once they spend a few turns out of LoS, they'll split back up.  Basically, never fight combined slime creatures, but especially never ever fight enormous slime creatures.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12199 on: June 13, 2014, 02:39:28 pm »

Also remember :
Even if they spawn in group, slime don't shout (not as orc/gnoll/goblin groups), so you should retreat when you see one. It won't alert the other (even if your noises and the expected combat noise may alert them).

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #12200 on: June 13, 2014, 02:57:49 pm »

I need some advice here: Should I get the artifact "the +7,+7 mace of Lies {freeze, +Blink rPois rC+ SInv}", found in a shop in Orcish Mines, even though I have no skill in Maces&Flails? My current weapon skill is 15.5 in Axes, my character a MiFi of Makhleb, who is currently using a crappy +0, +1 battle axe with poison brand.

EDIT: I do have some shield skill as well, which I am currently not using because battle axe.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:59:46 pm by EvilTwin »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12201 on: June 13, 2014, 03:04:33 pm »

No, do not get it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12202 on: June 13, 2014, 03:16:02 pm »

What would be a good race for a newbie to play a Death Knight with?
Also, what would be a good combo to get that plant god guy? He looks sort of cool.

(I'm looking for a liiiiiitle bit of variation even if its just flailing randomly and dying after dying with mibes a few times :v)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12203 on: June 13, 2014, 03:26:06 pm »

I need some advice here: Should I get the artifact "the +7,+7 mace of Lies {freeze, +Blink rPois rC+ SInv}", found in a shop in Orcish Mines, even though I have no skill in Maces&Flails? My current weapon skill is 15.5 in Axes, my character a MiFi of Makhleb, who is currently using a crappy +0, +1 battle axe with poison brand.

EDIT: I do have some shield skill as well, which I am currently not using because battle axe.

GET IT - Unless you have other ways of blinking, poison resisting and seeing invisible (that aren't just separate rings). Blinking is absolutely necessary for a melee fighter, and that rC+ won't hurt. It won't take long to get M&F high enough (you get a +4 bonus from learning axes already - so super quick!) and the bonus from +7 will make it even easier to start off with. Just do some easy-ish bits and even scum around a bit on some floors you've already gone to if you're all out of easy bits.

Seriously, blinking is the most useful thing to have and you'll want rpois and Sinv throughout most of the game regardless. Admittedly, you might want to change later on, but there's an unlimited amount of xp in the game, so don't worry about losing out or anything.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12204 on: June 13, 2014, 03:27:20 pm »

What would be a good race for a newbie to play a Death Knight with?
Also, what would be a good combo to get that plant god guy? He looks sort of cool.

(I'm looking for a liiiiiitle bit of variation even if its just flailing randomly and dying after dying with mibes a few times :v)
Merfolk make great Death Knights in my experience. Being able to use your minions as meatshields even while still attacking is great and Merfolk level Polearms really fast.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12205 on: June 13, 2014, 03:28:31 pm »

GET IT - Unless you have other ways of blinking, poison resisting and seeing invisible (that aren't just separate rings). Blinking is absolutely necessary for a melee fighter, and that rC+ won't hurt. It won't take long to get M&F high enough (you get a +4 bonus from learning axes already - so super quick!) and the bonus from +7 will make it even easier to start off with. Just do some easy-ish bits and even scum around a bit on some floors you've already gone to if you're all out of easy bits.

Seriously, blinking is the most useful thing to have and you'll want rpois and Sinv throughout most of the game regardless. Admittedly, you might want to change later on, but there's an unlimited amount of xp in the game, so don't worry about losing out or anything.

...or don't get it because its a mace and your minotaur will quickly become a trashy melee fighter. You'll want to change it very soon, I don't see someone taking on much past lair with that thing.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 03:30:48 pm by Rex_Nex »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12206 on: June 13, 2014, 03:51:34 pm »

Maces are nearly the worse M&F weapons in the game. And as weapon skill enhances the weapon's base damage (and not its enchantment), with the 14 necessary, you'll deal more damage with a basic morningstar.
Yes, it has nice utilities, but it doesn't change the fact that wou will not be dealing any damage with this weapon.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12207 on: June 13, 2014, 04:07:20 pm »

Maces are nearly the worse M&F weapons in the game. And as weapon skill enhances the weapon's base damage (and not its enchantment), with the 14 necessary, you'll deal more damage with a basic morningstar.
Yes, it has nice utilities, but it doesn't change the fact that wou will not be dealing any damage with this weapon.
Fsim doesn't agree, you deal more effective damage with a +7/+7 mace (plus it has freeze) than a standard morningstar but admittedly it's not good enough for anything mid/late other than to swap for blinking.

It's worth it unless you have better stuff to buy/you're much past lair.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12208 on: June 13, 2014, 04:14:56 pm »

Died to an Electric Golem in Zot:4.
In my defense, Xom did a whole lot of weapon-swap bullshit during that fight. But it was still my fault.

Well at least I was able to judge the whole impact of recent changes with my own eyes now.
The 3 major changes (weigth, item destruction, encumberance) and one minor change (corrosion) left the game with lots of loose ends that will lead to further removals.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 04:36:45 pm by Mindmaker »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12209 on: June 13, 2014, 05:17:41 pm »

Encumbrance and weight are surely the same thing though?
Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 990