Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 781 782 [783] 784 785 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1667353 times)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #11730 on: February 14, 2014, 05:31:16 pm »

Hey ogres are fun to play with ! :D
Going with Okawaru isn't such a bad idea, with them, as you have only a few armor slots, so you'll get good randarts faster for those (and scrolls of acquirement of weapon/armor will be benefit from it too).
But yeah, GSC of distortion ...
You'd better get soem throwing and hope for large rocks :D

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11731 on: February 14, 2014, 08:42:46 pm »

My DsCk of Xom got a +1 +3 Demon Blade of Venom on DL: 2. I've already inscribed {god gift, going to get me killed} on it.

E: Directly after posting this, Xom sent a pack of demons to murder me. Yep.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:52:04 pm by Grek »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11732 on: February 14, 2014, 11:15:41 pm »

Don't diss the distortion! It's a cool and thematic weapon. Just the kind you use to win Crawl with. But seriously, I don't usually use them but on AK's I get them on principle unless fates bestow me with an awesome weapon early enough.

I guess I just don't like winning.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #11733 on: February 15, 2014, 02:03:19 am »

maaan I really hope lava orcs and djinn survive trunk

From what I hear djinn aren't really well accepted (I can see why here at least, it's really fiddly and bizzare and it has a ton of random resistances and what the hell is going on thematically here), but it's a neat concept! I also quite like djinn as a mythological thing but I realize that doesn't really factor in

lava orcs seem fine though, if a little overpowered, doesn't that one demonspawn mutation use the same tension mechanic?

Hell of a lot more interesting then minotaur fighters of okawaru at least

at least formicids seem to be going well, I quite like them too

Never really got into vine stalkers, but they seem neat enough

While I'm here I'd be kinda interested to see what people thought of all the new races in trunk! Lava Orc, Formicid, Vine Stalker, and Djinn, that is! Balance wise or theme wise or whatever!

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11734 on: February 15, 2014, 02:59:37 am »

I like some of the new races, but not all:

- Formicids are really nice to play, with their stasis and "free" digging bringing them a new approach of the game, and the 2-handed with shield that boosts them in the mid-end game (but not extended).
 - Lava Orcs really feel overpowered to me. They're Hill orcs with only 1 less in axes & ranged weapons, but with passive resistances and fire damage, and a big magic boost. Plus they've got nothing of an Orc, in their theme. Some players mentionned renaming them "samalanders" and tweaking their aptitudes a bit, and I would see it fit better.
 - I can't play a Vine Stalker properly. It may be becaue I mainly play sprints nowadays (because I play during my lunch break), where their regen and globally low apt aren't great. Other than that, their theme seem nice, but they're really half plant, half not, and that brings some weird things (necromancy and fire interaction).
 - I love Djinn's theme. But I don't know whether they should really be playable. I know we can play Ogres and troll, who aren't really low level races usually, but, as for me, being able to play a Djinn is a bit like being able to play a titan.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11735 on: February 15, 2014, 03:51:00 am »

Distortion is horrible on a low damage weapon, and on characters who have no defenses. Since mine was the second...

Blinking Deep Elf Master Archers was not a fun experience, let me tell you that.

Still ended up dying in Elf:3 due to a horrible teleport, two summoned Ice Fiends and some Hellfire from one or other of the spellcaster elves. Sort of meh. Lessons learned - no distortion, Okawaru pls dragon armour, screw Master Archers.

On the new races:
- Formicid is underpowered currently. Stasis is a really interesting detriment, and something you actually need to play around. -rP is a bitch since it only turns one of the more tedious parts of the game [early game poison] 10 times tedious-er. The low HP [is it low in the current trunk? Mine could be outdated] is just ... what. Give them +10% hp, remove the weakness to poison since no-tele is going to kill 90% of the formicids in early and mid-game anyways.

- Djinn - OP, really slow start, hell yeah no hunger clock

- Lava Orc - fine, if a bit powerful. It's definitely not a challenge class but screw those anyway [looking at you, Ogre!]

- Vine Stalker - OP, somewhat slow start, hilarious regen, antimagic bite, great Monks.

All in all I've been loving the new races they've put in the game [GARGOYLE-SAMA <3]. They're original and have interesting differences. Still bitter about those Mountain Dwarves though!
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11736 on: February 15, 2014, 07:33:38 am »

Distortion is great, especially with fast, low damage weapons.  Your main error was attempting Elf.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11737 on: February 15, 2014, 07:55:05 am »

Distortion is great for speed/low level runs. And a quick blade or sabre of distortion is a good weapon for stabbers.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11738 on: February 15, 2014, 08:45:30 am »

Eh, distortion is great if blinking enemies away is not a problem. On my character however, it was quite a big deal. Ogres generally have bad defenses, mine had even worse, and I blinked way too many dangerous spellcasters in elf away. It is great for stabbers, yes.

How does the runelock affect speedruns nowadays? I remember a few people going into vault first before the lair branches. Especially now that Snake has joined Spider nest and Shoals as a gigantic death trap.

I feel Elf is really easy once you get the general idea. Spellcasters - cloud spells. Melee - dig anti-summon tunnel.

I've done it on every single character I play that gets to that point. I had nearly cleared the stupid thing when I died. My mistakes were [in terms of magnitude] : going into the actual vault instead of using scrolls of noise to lure enemies to my 1v1 tunnel, not retreating ~4 turns earlier, not doing potion of speed/scroll of fog combo instead of teleporting. I would've lived through that, but my first teleport sent me waaay deep into the treasure rooms, and the elves immediately summoned an Ice Fiend or two. I used scroll of fog, but one of them was next to me, and... let's say I didn't have the most robust rC out there.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11739 on: February 15, 2014, 09:30:53 am »

I feel Elf is really easy once you get the general idea.
Elf:3 is "easy" once you have 180Mr, rC+ and rF+, Repel Missile, 30 AC and 30EV, and a reliable cloud spell. So it's not something you should go to before you have at least 5 runes.

It is so much luck based you have less chances to get killed by simply going to Abyss:5.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11740 on: February 15, 2014, 10:02:12 am »

Ok let's put it this way. I do Elf:3 on all my characters right after Lair, Orc and D:16, barring characters who lack any MR or casters who lack a cloud spell. Peace :)

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11741 on: February 15, 2014, 10:40:17 am »

Timing elf is always a tricky one. Both the risks and the loot is significant. Still I severely dislike dying because that one banishment spell got through your MR.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #11742 on: February 15, 2014, 06:43:25 pm »

I'd just like to say the new vehumet is really neat!

I've always wanted to pull off a heavy armor caster and every time I try I either don't get a book before like, lair or something ridiculous and I give up, or I die because I've been holding back my armor progression because casting in scale mail is hard enough.

Having a god that beams spells into your brain is also just a neat concept in general too, though.

Hell of a lot better then "make spell bettur" old vehumet in any case.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #11743 on: February 15, 2014, 09:40:23 pm »

Does Vehumet lower the fail rate of your spells enough for heavy armor to be viable? I'd think even if Vehumet blasted spells into my brain, if I couldn't cast them, I'd be doomed.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11744 on: February 15, 2014, 11:52:31 pm »

I dislike the new spell gifting. Instead of giving you books with 3-4 spells, Vehumet now offers only 1 spell at a time. And none of his final spells were in schools I trained.

How does the runelock affect speedruns nowadays? I remember a few people going into vault first before the lair branches. Especially now that Snake has joined Spider nest and Shoals as a gigantic death trap.

The runelock is annoying. I liked sneaking near the bottom of the dungeon and stabbing folks for massive experience. If I were going to do another low level run I'd probably go vaults, swamp or slime, and the abyss.

Does Vehumet lower the fail rate of your spells enough for heavy armor to be viable? I'd think even if Vehumet blasted spells into my brain, if I couldn't cast them, I'd be doomed.

He gives you a wizardry bonus for anything that goes boom. Other spells are not affected.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:56:19 pm by Dr Feelgood »
Pages: 1 ... 781 782 [783] 784 785 ... 990