Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 782 783 [784] 785 786 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1667329 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #11745 on: February 16, 2014, 12:22:38 am »

Does Vehumet lower the fail rate of your spells enough for heavy armor to be viable? I'd think even if Vehumet blasted spells into my brain, if I couldn't cast them, I'd be doomed.

Well, you can't use plate or anything, but I was casting low-ish level conjurations in... I think scale mail. Maybe ring mail. Level 1 and 2 spells were in single digit failure rates, and level 3 had 30 something. With more armor and conjurations skill it'd only get better.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11746 on: February 16, 2014, 04:41:23 am »

The runelock is annoying. I liked sneaking near the bottom of the dungeon and stabbing folks for massive experience. If I were going to do another low level run I'd probably go vaults, swamp or slime, and the abyss.
The runelock has been moved from the depth to the vault.
You can still reach the entrance of Zot without rune, and with the increased difficulty & xp of Depths, this doesn't change much for this ;)

And by the way, An elf in elven ring mail has no spellcasting penalty, even without a god. Vehumet cen help them to go further (or simply help them with a non-elven armor, as those aren't exactly common).

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11747 on: February 17, 2014, 02:01:56 pm »

I don't get why the rune lock has been implemented anyway. The vaults are harder then the first runes in lair, and there is not any real loot or other benefits gained from entering the vaults early.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11748 on: February 17, 2014, 03:18:42 pm »

Currently the vaults are harder that anything in Lair, Slime included.

Someone on the dev team realised that having a corridor on the outer edge of the Vaults:5 gives people the chance to not slog through the entire ambush face-first and decided they were having none of that.

So now Vault:5 doesn't have an outer ring.

And as we all know, assholes can lock the stairs if you're trying to stairdance.

Basically what I'm saying is, fuck the vaults.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11749 on: February 18, 2014, 05:24:46 am »

So I guess I'm the only one who didn't go for the outer ring in the Vaults ?
I played some "easy" characters (DDBe, GrFi, MfGl), and some not so much (OgAM melee-oriented), but I never needed to go for the outer rim.
I know this is supposed to make it harder, but I don't think it will prevent "normal" characters from doing it...

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11750 on: February 18, 2014, 08:49:15 am »

I used controlled teleport and magic mapping to grab the vault rune quickly. I did that twice. And a couple of my characters blinked away from the ambush, but that was to prevent getting hit by my own aoe spells. So... about 4 times.

Does anyone actually die to the ambush? I could see why they would want to make it harder. That being said, the outer ring was restored in the latest trunk build.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:50:51 am by Dr Feelgood »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11751 on: February 18, 2014, 09:38:55 am »

Does anyone actually die to the ambush? I could see why they would want to make it harder. That being said, the outer ring was restored in the latest trunk build.
I can imagine melee-only characters with no blinking scrolls available may have a really, really hard time in the ambush if there are one of those "i lock the stairs so you can't use it" power from some of the vault guys.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11752 on: February 18, 2014, 10:02:58 am »

Well ... You can only have 8 enemies around you, and the basic vault guards are easily handled with a bit of AC. Even my 30 AC Ogre went in there and squashed them one by one, making his own way to the warden and convokers...

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #11753 on: February 18, 2014, 10:33:53 am »

So I made it to Zot 2! And died. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Seriously though, tips for Zot? First time getting three runes, I kind've expected to go down. Still, I got GDA, had maxed armor skill for it, had a nice lajatang, I was at least hoping to get pasted by an orb of fire or something. Am I supposed to clear floors in zot, or am I supposed to rush down to 5, clear it out, etc? There seemed to be a lot of rot flying around for me to do that.

I suppose I could've... remembered to use those elemental evocables, but I somehow doubt blowing them on a random draconian pack would've done much to help me in the actual hard part. I also didn't have too much evocations.

Spoiler: Char morgue (click to show/hide)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11754 on: February 18, 2014, 10:38:07 am »

Do not fight two draconians at once. Do use your acquirement scrolls instead of letting them sit in your inventory.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11755 on: February 18, 2014, 12:15:48 pm »

Being in Gold Dragon armor and worshiping Oka means you only have Evocables to get away from bad situations :/

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11756 on: February 18, 2014, 02:04:41 pm »

You don't have to clear every level. About half of my wins involved rushing to the bottom level. I only bother clearing Zot levels for exp. A weapon with the freezing brand is useful against draconians, since it'll slow them down. Fear scrolls also work on them. The fog and blink scrolls could have saved you. Take your time in Zot. Fight everything one-on-one.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #11757 on: February 18, 2014, 06:04:32 pm »

About fighting them one on one - The first floor had basically no one tile wide corridors, so... how was that supposed to happen? There was one, way at the right and frankly at that point I think it would've been better to stair dance. Are Zot floors pre generated? So ilike, next time I go there will it still be a big semicircle sort've setup?

And yeah,that's a second question, is GDA actually good? I checked the knowledge bots but in traditional knowledge bot fashion it gave me the resists, the stats, and snarky comments about it sucking despite not saying why it did. So I just equipped it! It seemed great, does it block translocations or something?

And yeah, I did completely forget about scrolls. Hurf.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11758 on: February 18, 2014, 06:14:25 pm »

GDA is not bad, but not good enough to use a -1 one if you're worshipping Oka (as he should have gifted some shiny armor, with high enchant of nice ego like the damage boosters).

Zot are not pre-generated, but there are less designs for them (especially for zot:5, where the general layout is always the same). Anyway, it's always much more open than the rest of the dungeon, so it will be hard against drac packs, not matter what you do.

I find it weird you where not level 27 when you entered zot, by the way. And your 27 skill in armor is useless, as you worship Okawaru.
I think you could have visited the 2 first levels of Elf, to get soem more XP/gifts/piety.

The main reason GDA "sucks" is because you usually find those in the really late game (golden dragon become "common" only in Zot), and you should have spend your enchant armor scrolls on other armors by then.

Oh, by the way : GDA + Okawaru means you don't have abilities to flee other than evocables, as I said before. That also means your positionning is really important, and taking the decision to flee when you're at half HP is nearly mandatory. Especially agaisnt Draconians : some have really high damage spells, and you don't want them fight noises to atract a (ancient) lich to cast paralyze at you.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:18:49 pm by tompliss »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #11759 on: February 18, 2014, 07:02:04 pm »

I actually didn't get a lot of armor gifts, the best thing I had was an rElec plate, I mostly just got quarterstaves otherwise. I have the worst luck with gear, even with oka.

I did notice I wasn't level 27, didn't know if it was worth trying to go for tomb or elf for the last few levels. Guess it was! Annnnd where do you stop training armor then? I was under the impression it was one of the skills you pretty universally took to 27 for the AC boost.

Pages: 1 ... 782 783 [784] 785 786 ... 990