Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1570 1571 [1572] 1573 1574 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061976 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23565 on: July 24, 2015, 11:15:06 pm »

Er I don't think it's a very good example if half of it is based entirely on a unconfirmed guess...
It's worse than not good, it's self-reinforcing. That's beyond useless and into legitimately harmful.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23566 on: July 25, 2015, 12:12:31 am »

Also, Sonic is clearly marketed at children in Japan. What adults think children will like can be downright cringeworthy and insulting. It's impossible to make any judgements about national character from some side-character in a franchise for kids. What does Daisy Duck and the three duckette neices say about Americans for example?

For reference, here's an actual top 25 anime characters from polls in Japan. Guaranteed it's nothing like what you'd get from asking that in America.

http://www.japan-talk.com/jt/new/25-most-popular-japanese-cartoon-characters

Here's IGN's version for comparison:

http://au.ign.com/articles/2009/10/21/top-25-anime-characters-of-all-time

For example, IGN has Rei Ayanami and Sailor Moon in the top 10, whereas these didn't even blip a mention in the Japanese poll. So much for the Japanese obsessing over the submissive kawaii girls more than Americans do.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 12:25:50 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23567 on: July 25, 2015, 12:27:45 am »

Well, naturally the selection of characters that *can* appear in an America's Favorite characters poll are very limited, since naturally the only choices Americans have are those that whatever publishers have chosen for them to localize from the Land of the Rising Sun, whereas Japanese naturally have the full breadth of their own historical anime and manga at their fingertips.

It'd kinda be like if we flipped it, and we polled the Japanese on what their favorite Western animations are.

Note to self: don't use the word 'naturally' three times in one sentence again.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 12:29:33 am by JoshuaFH »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23568 on: July 25, 2015, 12:30:15 am »

Well, naturally the selection of characters that *can* appear in an America's Favorite characters poll are very limited, since naturally the only choices Americans have are those that whatever publishers have chosen for them to localize from the Land of the Rising Sun, whereas Japanese naturally have the full breadth of their own historical anime and manga at their fingertips.

It'd kinda be like if we flipped it, and we polled the Japanese on what their favorite Western animations are.

Note to self: don't use the word 'naturally' three times in one sentence again.
That's...
Dang, now I want to know what the most popular Western animations are in Japan.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23569 on: July 25, 2015, 12:30:50 am »

Watching Akame ga Kill episode 3. Not even 10 minutes in and we have the standard anime fanservicey trope of "MC walks in on girls changing". Really ruins the immersion, the whole scene feels blatantly shoehorned in. Japan must have a problem with locking their doors or something. It's too absurd and too common of a trope to not have some basis in reality.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23570 on: July 25, 2015, 12:35:56 am »

For reference, here's an actual top 25 anime characters from polls in Japan. Guaranteed it's nothing like what you'd get from asking that in America.

Kind of vague on where exactly they got the list, though.

Here's IGN's version for comparison:

http://au.ign.com/articles/2009/10/21/top-25-anime-characters-of-all-time

For example, IGN has Rei Ayanami and Sailor Moon in the top 10, whereas these didn't even blip a mention in the Japanese poll. So much for the Japanese obsessing over the submissive kawaii girls more than Americans do.
That's just IGN's wild guessing based on a lot of vague criteria, though. They list Son Goku as #1, with the stated justification that he beat up King Kai who is basically God. That's... an argument you could make, I suppose, but it doesn't tell us very much about anything except IGN, and even there the exact meaning is unclear.

That's...
Dang, now I want to know what the most popular Western animations are in Japan.
Hm, likewise. Do they routinely brings things over at all, though?

Watching Akame ga Kill episode 3. Not even 10 minutes in and we have the standard anime fanservicey trope of "MC walks in on girls changing". Really ruins the immersion, the whole scene feels blatantly shoehorned in. Japan must have a problem with locking their doors or something. It's too absurd and too common of a trope to not have some basis in reality.
I've heard anime has an odd tendency to sex it up beyond what the manga includes, and I think this is an example of that. As for that particular device, I'd guess it's just the least absurd way to routinely show off naked girls and embarrassment comedy without needing any meaningful circumstances or lasting implications.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23571 on: July 25, 2015, 12:58:52 am »

Wait. Is number 18 actually a living cat bus monstrosity? With twelve legs? And glowing eyed mice as running lights? WHY HAVEN'T I BEEN INFORMED OF THIS BEFORE?!?

Seriously, if someone had of bothered mentioning that My Neighbor Totoro included a giant catbus then I would have watched that years ago! :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23572 on: July 25, 2015, 01:04:34 am »

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:06:50 am by Reelya »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23573 on: July 25, 2015, 05:19:08 am »

DragonballZ movie? Is this going to be a thing?

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23574 on: July 25, 2015, 05:22:43 am »

DragonballZ movie? Is this going to be a thing?
There are about 5, including a Live-Action one, if I recall correctly.
Alan help.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23575 on: July 25, 2015, 05:42:56 am »

Given the IMDB rating of 2.8/10 for that movie you're probably better off not recalling correctly.

They cast a white Canadian actor as Goku, and his previous film credits include SuperBabies: Baby Geniuses 2, rated at a 1.9/10, and which was once the lowest rated movie of all time on IMDB (it's risen to 15th worst due to new worse films coming out). Here's superbabies btw. I bet it's more fun than Dragonball Evolution:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For reference, to be in the bottom 100 films ever made, you need a score of 2.5/10 or less, which means Dragonball Evolution is literally rubbing noses with the worst pieces of cinema excrement ever created. You think TV movies are bad? They're not even in this league of bad.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 05:59:20 am by Reelya »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23576 on: July 25, 2015, 05:59:37 am »

Given the IMDB rating of 2.8/10 for that movie you're probably better off not recalling correctly.

They cast a white Canadian actor as Goku, and his previous film credits include SuperBabies: Baby Geniuses 2, rated at a 1.9/10, and which was once the lowest rated movie of all time on IMDB (it's risen to 15th worst due to new worse films coming out).

For reference, to be in the bottom 100 films ever made, you need a score of 2.5/10 or less, which means Dragonball Evolution is literally rubbing noses with the worst pieces of cinema excrement ever created. You think TV movies are bad? They're not even in this league of bad.
Look, I've seen that shit.
It's not even DragonBall, IT is a Kung Fu movie with magic wish granting plot devices.
Alan help.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23577 on: July 25, 2015, 07:14:26 am »

I honestly taken Dragon Ball Evolution as a parody.

I can't think of it any other way, it just feels like a parody.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23578 on: July 25, 2015, 07:19:39 am »

I honestly taken Dragon Ball Evolution as a parody.

I can't think of it any other way, it just feels like a parody.
Yeah, yeah, that seems about right.
I can't remember anything possibly related to Dragon Ball in that movie apart from the Dragon Balls themselves and the Great Ape transformation, which was done as a 'come back to us' Gif from his love interest.
Alan help.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23579 on: July 25, 2015, 07:28:39 am »

To me it was a parody of Americanization... and honestly it hits all the right points.

I honestly wonder if it deserves that 2.8/10, as in is really that bad, or if the audience just didn't "get it".
Pages: 1 ... 1570 1571 [1572] 1573 1574 ... 2193