Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1569 1570 [1571] 1572 1573 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061497 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23550 on: July 24, 2015, 03:17:45 am »

^ you should really wrap spoiler tags around anything that reveals plot details (especially the surprises) of shows. Most of us have seen it, but keep in mind others who haven't yet seen it so they can experience it the way you did.

~~~

I'm trying to think up another show similar to PMMM now. Probably "Angel Beats" would come the closest in terms of plot twists and action. If you want something similar but different that would be my recommendation. It's also a short show.

The edgy BS in Madoka is due to it being written by the biggest edge-lord in anime: Gen Urobuchi. His stuff can be hit or miss because he always seems to be trying to subvert everything and increase the edginess. If you want to check out another show by him I'd recommend Psycho-Pass.

If you're up for another short show in general, check out Baccano. The best description is like Pulp Fiction but set in the 1930's with gangsters from Chicago and New York battling it out, with a lot of black comedy and some horror elements.

Seconding Baccano! of course, but Angel Beats was more slice of life comedy that suddenly transitioned into "Why can't I hold all these feels!?"

Unless you're reading it as a subversion of typical high-school shows, which I suppose I can see.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23551 on: July 24, 2015, 03:29:06 am »

If you want tears just always streaming down your eyes, then sure Angel Beats is a great choice. As is Ano Hana.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23552 on: July 24, 2015, 03:32:28 am »

Ano Hana requires you to install a litre of water for your waterworks to work properly.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23553 on: July 24, 2015, 04:06:06 am »

You say that but the vast majority of animes basically pick a premise first and "trope second" so to speak. As in they think of an interesting set up and then proceed to not explore it at all or do so in superficial ways because what they really wanted to do was something unrelated.
I don't think treating the setting as a backdrop rather than the focus is unique to anime or even a bad idea, though. Look at, say, Star Wars. Setting: A vast insterstellar empire surrounded by the unknown, where people can zip around faster than light and a mystical life-attuned energy permeates the whole galaxy. Original Movies: Some hick learns as much magic as he needs to in order to murder a space slug and help gank an old man. Also teddy bears!

But if you think that was unique I am sure everyone here could supply you with a different anime.

In a fantasy realm young wizards train in order to be fully fledged wizards and are considered members of the aristocracy belittling those below their station. Along with this articles from the real world have been leaking into this one and as they do they obtain a sort of 'magical property' that amplifies their original purpose, so what should happen but during a familiar summoning ceremony the one with the most shattered ego happens to summon a human from the real world, making her believe she has summon a commoner where he now has to explore this elitist world with someone who has yet to learn real confidence in herself. Yet not everything is as it seems because the kingdoms are not at peace as acts of assassination and sabotage threaten the lives and well being of the students... Turns into a harem anime where our horndog protagonist flirts with other girls intentionally in order to get the female lead angry, and her ego was instantly repaired because she learned she was special and didn't have to earn anything for herself... and other stuff happens but honestly it isn't as important.
I don't think anybody thinks Mahouka Nee-Chan isn't relatively unique, yourself included. Zero is the fanfiction thing, so apparently everybody else and their mother agrees that they could do a better job with the setting and characters than the actual thing did.

So what about a less extreme example? Do Conan or Ippo do this, for instance?

Well, I wouldn’t really call myself an “anime person,” so the speak. Despite liking to use anime-related images as avatars, I never really watched any shows, nor did I read any manga. But there has still been one show that has kinda become special to me, if that makes sense. The show I am talking about is Puella Magi Madoka Magica, my first and only anime.
Spoiler: Major Spoilers (click to show/hide)
This entertains me greatly in general, but the fact that a thing which called to you so should bring you such anguish adds a delicious extra layer to it.

...guess I've got the right avatar for this moment.
Spoiler: For Posterity (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: More Spoilers (click to show/hide)

I remember one time I was with some “friends” and someone asked what my favorite show was. I said it was PMMM, and he looked it up and saw the image results. He called me a fag. Now I know who my real friends are.
Yeah! Those brutalized corpses you failed to save!

All that said, if you're into manga you might check out Oriko Magica and Kazumi Magica. The former's a neat take on a Madoka side story, the latter's a proper and fascinating spinoff that does some interesting things with the setting while still feeling like it's the same thing.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23554 on: July 24, 2015, 04:11:04 am »

I will admit short anime are something you have to get used to.

Even I feel like 18 or less episodes is just not enough given that even miniseries can sometimes end up having more then equivalent time.

Personally I am a fan of 32-64 episode anime.

Any less or more is not as preferred. Not that I don't have animes I love in the higher and lower reaches (I think Princess tutu is around 20 if you merge the split episodes)

By the by... Everyone really should watch Princess Tutu, I cannot recommend it enough.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23555 on: July 24, 2015, 06:19:57 am »

... and Princess Jellyfish is pretty cool too (and guaranteed to be completely different from how you'd picture such a cartoon in your mind).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23556 on: July 24, 2015, 06:49:26 am »

You say that but the vast majority of animes basically pick a premise first and "trope second" so to speak. As in they think of an interesting set up and then proceed to not explore it at all or do so in superficial ways because what they really wanted to do was something unrelated.
I don't think treating the setting as a backdrop rather than the focus is unique to anime or even a bad idea, though. Look at, say, Star Wars. Setting: A vast insterstellar empire surrounded by the unknown, where people can zip around faster than light and a mystical life-attuned energy permeates the whole galaxy. Original Movies: Some hick learns as much magic as he needs to in order to murder a space slug and help gank an old man. Also teddy bears!

Naw Starwars still remains consistent building and exploring its own setting from the very start to the very end. It doesn't set up issues only to ignore them later.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23557 on: July 24, 2015, 12:44:56 pm »

I finished FMA:B. Huh.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23558 on: July 24, 2015, 01:21:12 pm »

I watched "The Place Promised in our Early Days", and while it was a really slow movie with a plot that raises more questions than answers, it was really touching and I liked it. The ending credits song is just stellar as well, it's a knockout homerun slamdunk touchdown hole-in-one quality song that just demands to be admired over and over.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23559 on: July 24, 2015, 01:24:46 pm »

... and Princess Jellyfish is pretty cool too (and guaranteed to be completely different from how you'd picture such a cartoon in your mind).

Yeah

Everyone watch Princess Jellyfish AND Princess Tutu

They aren't what you are expecting.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23560 on: July 24, 2015, 04:59:36 pm »

Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23561 on: July 24, 2015, 05:31:44 pm »

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23562 on: July 24, 2015, 05:45:59 pm »

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23563 on: July 24, 2015, 09:10:16 pm »

When I think of the differences between what makes an appealing character in both America and Japan the character I think is the best example of two countries having two different ideas is...

Amy Rose from Sonic.

She is just about the worst sonic character ever... but she is fairly typical of the genre.

But I BET she is beloved in Japan.

Goodness I just realized... Anime has perfected the Annoying tagalong female character... While Western Cartoons have perfected the annoying tagalong child character.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 09:13:18 pm by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23564 on: July 24, 2015, 10:56:57 pm »

Er I don't think it's a very good example if half of it is based entirely on a unconfirmed guess...
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1569 1570 [1571] 1572 1573 ... 2193