Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1568 1569 [1570] 1571 1572 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061591 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23535 on: July 23, 2015, 09:13:02 pm »

Always found Steins;Gate, or at least its first few episodes, as slow, despite absolutely being needed for pacing and character development. :/
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23536 on: July 24, 2015, 01:06:06 am »

So, I've been rereading One-Punch Man because it's badassery is only matched by Mad Max Fury Road and I've noticed that licenseless biker while certainly not superman, he's prretty damn tough by human standards, I mean C class heros are not meant to fight Demon Level threats, because demon level threats cannot be beaten by some cheering, especially if it defeated an S level hero before it got into its final form.

But Licenseless biker is kinda the Batman of that world if Batman didn't have any money (which to be fair constitutes a large portion of Batman's powers), he can probably still handily take out thugs and other criminals, expecially considering the 'Stop one crime a week or you're out' policy for C levels.
I guess what I'm saying is somebody should make a spin-off about Licenseless Rider fighting lower level crimes that can't level cities.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23537 on: July 24, 2015, 01:13:26 am »

Licenseless Rider is the true hero of the series and don't you forget it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23538 on: July 24, 2015, 01:15:02 am »

You lie. The true heroes are those crows with the cutlery.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23539 on: July 24, 2015, 01:19:38 am »

Or here is a REAL anime example

An Anime about a magical version of the British Caste system and the sort of elitism it created using a main character who uses atypical thinking in order to achieve the same effects and thus poke holes into the entire system of have and have-nots and the story of how the system affects him, the people around him, and whether or not he can actually change it for the better... Turns into a God Mode Mary Sue and how he is so amazing and everyone loves him.
I feel like this is an atypically extreme example. And not necessarily one that would have been made better by sticking to its guns.

You say that but the vast majority of animes basically pick a premise first and "trope second" so to speak. As in they think of an interesting set up and then proceed to not explore it at all or do so in superficial ways because what they really wanted to do was something unrelated.

But if you think that was unique I am sure everyone here could supply you with a different anime.

In a fantasy realm young wizards train in order to be fully fledged wizards and are considered members of the aristocracy belittling those below their station. Along with this articles from the real world have been leaking into this one and as they do they obtain a sort of 'magical property' that amplifies their original purpose, so what should happen but during a familiar summoning ceremony the one with the most shattered ego happens to summon a human from the real world, making her believe she has summon a commoner where he now has to explore this elitist world with someone who has yet to learn real confidence in herself. Yet not everything is as it seems because the kingdoms are not at peace as acts of assassination and sabotage threaten the lives and well being of the students... Turns into a harem anime where our horndog protagonist flirts with other girls intentionally in order to get the female lead angry, and her ego was instantly repaired because she learned she was special and didn't have to earn anything for herself... and other stuff happens but honestly it isn't as important.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 01:23:07 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23540 on: July 24, 2015, 01:25:34 am »

... you can just say the bloody name. Please just say the bloody name. Some people haven't seen whatever the hell you're describing, and that would probably help give them context.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23541 on: July 24, 2015, 01:26:22 am »

... you can just say the bloody name. Please just say the bloody name. Some people haven't seen whatever the hell you're describing, and that would probably help give them context.

That is Familiar of Zero.

and the other one I was referring to was Magical Madoka or... whatever it was called about the Mary Sue Wizard guy... that is honestly the greatest unintentional parody anime ever created... too bad it wasn't an intentional parody of anime and how the main characters are often "Losers" who are "Super special awesome"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23542 on: July 24, 2015, 01:27:39 am »

You had two examples.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23543 on: July 24, 2015, 01:28:16 am »

You had two examples.

I edited them in.

or do you mean you want me to post another?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23544 on: July 24, 2015, 01:28:45 am »

To be fair, said crows could probably defeat Licenseless Rider quite easily.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23545 on: July 24, 2015, 01:59:45 am »

To be fair, said crows could probably defeat Licenseless Rider quite easily.
Well, I would honestly place licenseless rider at Batman level, really.
Perhaps not, though, I guess B level heros are at Batman levels, C are moreso Robin levels, though he is Ranked number 1 for C...
Well, I think it's good to remember that a C rank hero is still a C rank hero who is at a pretty high athletic standard normally, and he's rank 1 on the list.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

cherry-hearts

• Bay Watcher
  • Best Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23546 on: July 24, 2015, 02:05:52 am »

Well, I wouldn’t really call myself an “anime person,” so the speak. Despite liking to use anime-related images as avatars, I never really watched any shows, nor did I read any manga. But there has still been one show that has kinda become special to me, if that makes sense. The show I am talking about is Puella Magi Madoka Magica, my first and only anime.

So, I bet you guys are wondering how I came to this show if I never watched anime before. What happened was I was out with my dad, and we went to the section of the store where they have the DVDs and stuff. Well, there it was: the first volume of PMMM on DVD. Something about it just called out to me, you know? I asked my dad about it, and he said it looked like a girl’s show. Yeah. That’s what he called it. “Girl’s show.” But there was just something about it, I knew I had to check the show out, even if it was on my own.

What I would do was I would wait till everyone was asleep and go downstairs. That’s where the computer is. Then I would take my headphones so that nobody could see me and I would just watch the show wherever I could find it. I remember seeing the first episode and just being in awe at how neat it was. Mami was so cool! I remember I got attached so attached to her by the second episode that, come the third, I absolutely FREAKED when she died. I legit cried for so long, and it actually took me a while to get back into the show. It made it a little when Sayaka became a magical girl, and Kyoko was pretty cool too, but then the show started getting REALLY SCARY. I was so stunned when Kyubey was hurting Sayaka or when he was telling Madoka about what he is or when Sayaka turns into a witch or when she and Kyoko die or when we find out about Homura that I was at the edge of my seat for the whole thing.

The whole show was just too short. I wish that there could have been more of it, and tbh I didn’t like the ending much. I was hoping that the movie would add to it but noooooooooooooooo! Instead we get this Homura witch bullshit where she’s stuck in her own labyrinth and the whole movie could have been a lot shorter. The cake song was stupid. Homura’s actions make no sense. There’s some dumb SayakaxKyoko and HomuraxMadoka yuri bullshit that came out of NOWHERE! I mean seriously. The whole movie was dumb, and they should really make a REAL ending to the show to do it the justice it deserves.

I remember one time I was with some “friends” and someone asked what my favorite show was. I said it was PMMM, and he looked it up and saw the image results. He called me a fag. Now I know who my real friends are.
"Un estado totalitario armonizará en España el funcionamiento de todas las capacidades y energías del país, que dentro de la Unidad Nacional, el trabajo estimado como el más ineludible de los deberes será el único exponente de la voluntad popular."
—Francisco Franco

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23547 on: July 24, 2015, 02:26:27 am »

^ you should really wrap spoiler tags around anything that reveals plot details (especially the surprises) of shows. Most of us have seen it, but keep in mind others who haven't yet seen it so they can experience it the way you did.

~~~

I'm trying to think up another show similar to PMMM now. Probably "Angel Beats" would come the closest in terms of plot twists and action. If you want something similar but different that would be my recommendation. It's also a short show.

The edgy BS in Madoka is due to it being written by the biggest edge-lord in anime: Gen Urobuchi. His stuff can be hit or miss because he always seems to be trying to subvert everything and increase the edginess. If you want to check out another show by him I'd recommend Psycho-Pass.

If you're up for another short show in general, check out Baccano. The best description is like Pulp Fiction but set in the 1930's with gangsters from Chicago and New York battling it out, with a lot of black comedy and some horror elements.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:42:17 am by Reelya »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23548 on: July 24, 2015, 02:40:58 am »

@madoka

Spoiler: not so spoilers (click to show/hide)
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23549 on: July 24, 2015, 02:55:29 am »

um

steven universe is about a magical boy

but i'll recommend that whenever i can see a slight comparison, so that may be me actually just being a fanboy (which i'm not for anything else at all)
Pages: 1 ... 1568 1569 [1570] 1571 1572 ... 2193