Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064425 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #10935 on: April 02, 2012, 01:40:46 pm »

Well, I do quite like anime.

I'm planning a Dward Fortress fanfic that pratically turns the world of DF into a Shounen (think like Negima!), indeed. I just love epic speeches, crazy battles, and constant over-the-topness.

First thought: Moe Moe Urist and Kawaii Kog.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10936 on: April 02, 2012, 01:49:22 pm »

Somewhat, ha-ha.

The main problem is that there's no real way to anime-ize dwarves without completely re-designing them. Elves and humans are easy, obviously.

Anyway, the storyline is that Dwarves, Elves, and Humans have just finished a massive world war and are looking for peace. They decide to try one very un-orthodox idea: 3 Dwarves, 3 Elves, and 3 Humans will embark and set up a fortress. It will run exactly like a normal one, just specially integrated. Migrants from all three races will come, and all that jazz. The point is to determine if the three races can truly co-exist together. But....this small fort is going to impact the world in a way no one ever imagined....

My point with this story is to subvert all the expectations in the DF fandom. This is a story where Elves are as awesome as Dwarves, and where nobles aren't whiny demanding assholes but incredibly talented officials who keep the fort from falling apart. And more. This is that kind of story.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10937 on: April 02, 2012, 02:05:04 pm »

Hint: Anime dwarves looks like normal dwarves.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #10938 on: April 02, 2012, 02:20:36 pm »

I'm looking for an anime that features an American foreign exchange student to japan. Does one exist? no idea.

Wasn't there one that was like Gens... G.. something. It's a school club and there's this American girl that supposedly only talks in anime quotes or something.

Ai Yori Aoshi has an American exchange student in its main cast.

Code Geass... hehehe. Totally counts, right?

Soul Eater

Love Hina sort-of-but-not-really has one. He's not really a student any more.

I can't think of many others at the moment, but I feel like there are more.

As for the spoilers discussion, I share MrWiggles's opinion on them as they apply to myself for the most part, but I can see how it detracts from the experience of others. When I was younger, I actually quite often spoiled things for my peers as I simply didn't understand at the time that it was poor etiquette to do so. Afterwards I didn't really understand the reasoning behind it, but I've come to acknowledge it.

I agree with MrWiggles that the story needs to hold up on its own, that it's about the entire story and not just about the big reveal at the end that needs to hold your attention. If story is completely worthless after being told the ending, then the story itself is completely poor.

That said, there is a certain enjoyment in being surprised by things, and of having your own guesses as to what the future might be and then told that you were not so clever as you thought. Case in point, I recently watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and on numerous occasions I thought "I totally see where this is going. This is going to be important later, I just know it." Then the show proved to be better than that and kept me thinking. In the end, most of my predictions were wrong because it suddenly shifted from setting up a cliche to telling a good story. I thought that was quite clever, to encourage the audience to tunnel-vision the ending and then surprise them pleasantly. Of course, my experience probably isn't the only one, but I'm just saying that if it were spoiled to me, I wouldn't have been as happy with the outcome.

Similarly, not having a series spoiled gives you a lot more in rewatchability (if the media itself is worthy of a reread to begin with). If you finish a series and then reread from the beginning, often times you'll see something you missed: little details of no real importance but might be symbolic or foreshadowing when see them the second time. If the ending is spoiled, then one would be on the watch for hints at the end from the very start (and not having a very clear picture of the ending, this process is often clumsy and ends up in misinterpretations). This may go so far as one not really enjoying the media and instead trying to scrutinize everything, similar to watching a film when the viewer knows they are taking a memory test involving what they watch.

I've enjoyed quite a few series without them being spoiled, and I've enjoyed quite a few with them being spoiled. Some I definitely know I wouldn't have enjoyed as much if they had been spoiled, and others it didn't really matter. The best series, in my opinion, are those in which the story is very well made to keep the audience entertained as they skillfully manipulate the assumptions of the audience into creating their own surprise. Such series wouldn't be ruined by spoiling them, but doing so would rob the audience of the full experience. That, at least, should be respected.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10939 on: April 02, 2012, 03:19:49 pm »

Rubbish, SDF-1 would knock out JSDF and JSSDF easily.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10940 on: April 02, 2012, 05:16:07 pm »

So I watched strike witches yesterday.

I have to say wtf did I just watch?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10941 on: April 02, 2012, 07:18:39 pm »

Somewhat, ha-ha.

The main problem is that there's no real way to anime-ize dwarves without completely re-designing them. Elves and humans are easy, obviously.

Anyway, the storyline is that Dwarves, Elves, and Humans have just finished a massive world war and are looking for peace. They decide to try one very un-orthodox idea: 3 Dwarves, 3 Elves, and 3 Humans will embark and set up a fortress. It will run exactly like a normal one, just specially integrated. Migrants from all three races will come, and all that jazz. The point is to determine if the three races can truly co-exist together. But....this small fort is going to impact the world in a way no one ever imagined....

My point with this story is to subvert all the expectations in the DF fandom. This is a story where Elves are as awesome as Dwarves, and where nobles aren't whiny demanding assholes but incredibly talented officials who keep the fort from falling apart. And more. This is that kind of story.
As long as the elves still devour the corpses of the people they defeat in combat, they'll be fine DF elves.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10942 on: April 02, 2012, 07:28:47 pm »

Part of the plot of the story is that there's a split between Elves who want to eat sentients and those who want to abandon the practice. And it's going to get bloody.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10943 on: April 02, 2012, 07:52:05 pm »

It's not sentient if it's dead. Just sayin'.

Been rewatching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Finished watching ep. 5 today. Last time I watched this show I dropped it at about ~12th episode for reasons I can't remember. It's actually more crazy awesome than I remember it being, and I know it only gets better from this. Good show.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10944 on: April 02, 2012, 07:52:59 pm »

I mean, come on, unless you're really incapable viewer, you're going to get familiar with the tropes, and story structure of the media & genre you're watching.
I doubt even you predict every last thing that could possibly be considered a spoiler in every media you consume. "Tropes exist, therefore spoilers do not" is a non sequitur.

There are no Spoilers.

Get over yourself.

And just enjoy what you're watching.
I'm going to have to agree that this sounds pretentious as all hell. Telling someone that they're completely and utterly wrong about whether certain things affect how much they enjoy certain things is about as arrogant and condescending as you can get.

If the the Climax for a given event is what only drives when you're consuming media, then sure, it's pretty delicate. But even for show that do have foreshadowing, and wanting the viewer to guess what's going to happen.
Then so what?
Any media is more then about its payout's at the end. The pay outs are very small part of the story overall.

The journey getting to these payouts are the much larger part of the story, and that were most of the story is. That is where most of your enjoyment, and investment lies within.

Its traveling with the story, is where you're going to grow attach to the characters, grow attach to the universe and grow attach to the story.

If your story can't keep you engage with it's journey then the media you're consuming is horribly written.
This part is kinda weird. You seem to be saying that enjoying something is about enjoying watching the characters do things you already knew they'd do, rather than any kind of overarching plot, tension, mystery, etc. Which is fine if that's what you're into, but I'm not sure how you could derive this as some kind of universal truth.

And shows with foreshadowing are immensely better when rewatching, when you know what's going to happen. You're going to notice so much more out of the story. You're going to get all these small surprises as you watch it, /because/ you know what's going to happen.

Not only that, but knowing what's going to happen can and will reshape how you see characters.
Second part sounds like a reaffirmation that spoilers indeed exist. Not necessarily in a negative way, but you're certainly acknowledging they're there.

First part probably isn't true. If it was, you would expect people to be more prone to rewatching any show with any kind of mystery/suspense/non-obvious plot elements than they were to watching it the first time, and AFAIK watching said things once but not twice isn't terribly uncommon. You'd also expect them to actively seek out spoilers or guides so they could enjoy it better, which I'm almost positive never happens.

In other words, unless you want to call everyone but you an imbecile who doesn't know what they enjoy more clearly, I'm not sure how you could argue this. Come to think of it, are either of those true for yourself?

FLCL, is one of my favorite Anime's of all time. I fucking love and adore the shit out of FLCL. And it's filled with foreshadowing and minutia of detail in each episode. I've rewatch that series well over a score, and I still find something new that I didn't notice before. And it was completely ruined for me, if you wanna indulge in the infantile thing of 'Spoilers'.

Totally knew what Atomsk, the big fight, the relationships, what the robot sorta mean, how it's a coming of age story. All that jazz. I watched it sorta over the shoulder as my other friend saw it, and I watch it on my own year's later. And there also Trigun. My first episode, was it's last.

Take, Snape from Harry Potter. After Book Seven/Movie 8, you now have a completely different character then what you get from going through book 1-6. What about Dumbledore? You see Dumbledore in a very different light at the end of the series.

And none of that get's ruined because you get 'spoiled'. Getting told that Snake is really the good guy, doesn't ruin anything. Because /you/ still get to read it, and you still get to have your own take on it. You still get to have your own experience with it.
Personal anecdotes are really not very convincing, unless you can explain how you're representative of everyone. Notice how you switch between "I watched Trigun's last episode first, but still greatly enjoyed it" and "You don't get less enjoyment because it's spoiled."

As for the latter part, you seem to be arguing that either all experiences are equal or that you can simply shut off spoilers to have your own pristine experience with something. I don't actually think you're arguing the second, but the first is patently false: Watching a thug mug an old lady for her bus money is completely different to watching a scientist fake a mugging to pocket a spy's instructions, and knowing one is actually the other doesn't magically make it identical.

For my personal taste, I prefer media that's serial, over episodic. I also prefer media that has continuity and consequences from previous installments. I prefer media that has a beginning middle and end. My current big series is Young Justice. (My other two right now happen to episodic. Archer and Bob's Burger. Archer though has a continuity between episodes that I enjoy.)
That's... kind of surprising, given that you've been going on and on about how payoffs and reveals don't matter. I wouldn't have expected someone who doesn't care about what happens next and considers it a negligible part of the enjoyment total to value those things being connected.

Then how about this for rephrasing the "spoilers":
A story based on the premise of a battle royal where only one servant/master team is supposed to survive has at least one servant die. This death is portrayed onscreen and makes for an interesting scene.
You mentioned the specific name, though; that's totally different.

I'd also consider the other two (and the rest of the middle one) to be minor spoilers because they create anticipation- you've now got it in your head that the Berserker fight is more awesome than the other ones, for instance, so now instead of watching it completely normally you've got a voice in the back of your head going "Is this the awesome one I heard about?" or "This one wasn't mentioned, so it's probably not that awesome."

Not crippling, but still better avoided.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10945 on: April 02, 2012, 08:41:27 pm »

Spoilers don't exist IronyOwl, they are impossible.

I am omniscient

We are omniscient

All are one all are one  all is one
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:48:54 pm by ToonyMan »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10946 on: April 02, 2012, 11:32:10 pm »

Rubbish, SDF-1 would knock out JSDF and JSSDF easily.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:38:53 pm by Reelya »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10947 on: April 03, 2012, 01:40:54 am »

I finished Sora's route in Ever17.  I'm not sure why I did that really.  Over half way done now...mainly doing this to get a more developed taste of Uchikoshi Kotaro (he did 999 and Ever17, I LOVE NUMBERS...I'm watching Chip's LPs of Suda51 games too because uh DESTROY CROTCH)
Spoiler: thoughts (click to show/hide)

EDIT:

OH SHIT GUYS

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
999's sequel, Good People Die, is getting a translation this year!  I love you Chunsoft and Aksys Games!  The only thing that would make this better is if XSEED do Corpse Party: Book of Shadows this year too.  Oh and Ace Attorney Investigations 2...

I wouldn't mind buying my own 3DS for the express purpose of playing Good People Die.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:49:29 am by ToonyMan »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10948 on: April 03, 2012, 06:39:24 am »

Just randomly browsing the web, and this appeared. What? I mean, plot is mostly the same, but the guy's named differently and he's a college student. (website possibly NSFW)

Also, it's quite an old article.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:53:04 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10949 on: April 03, 2012, 05:08:54 pm »

After getting into Megas XLR then watching the whole series and Tvtrope searching it, I discovered the Gurran Lagann series and watched the english dubbed series on youtube.

I just walked in here to say that it was an awesome experience. And by that I mean crazy awesome.

Also I squeed with joy in the first episode after finally discovering where those Kamina glasses that were all over the internet had come from.
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 2193