Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3063171 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #10920 on: April 02, 2012, 03:10:20 am »

Only being a spoiler when someone is halfway through the series is still a spoiler.

That said, I was under the impression that every Servant but the main one dies anyway, so this is more akin to mentioning that "the bad guy" dies in an action movie. So long as you don't mention that he was thrown off a roof or when, I'm not sure it actually counts.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10921 on: April 02, 2012, 03:23:17 am »

I disagree completely.  Mentioning the two together creates a connection and you can not say what you're saying about Berserker isn't a spoiler.

Also wrong wrong wrong

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10922 on: April 02, 2012, 04:45:29 am »

Hmmm i think i misread the bit about "berserker" to be related to the series Berserk (which i haven't delved into at all yet). Brain fart on my part, yeah on a closer reading I agree, too much detail there.

Though i think just mentioning two names and saying there's a sub-plot involving them doesn't necessarily tell you whether they're trying to kill each other or hump each other's brains out or whatever. Anyway I'm still going to skip any FSN references until I have time to complete the other two(?) routes in the VN.

Is there a guide anywhere to the best order to play all the related games and watch the shows?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:50:07 am by Reelya »

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10923 on: April 02, 2012, 06:32:11 am »

I'm looking for an anime that features an American foreign exchange student to japan. Does one exist? no idea.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10924 on: April 02, 2012, 06:43:55 am »

I'm looking for an anime that features an American foreign exchange student to japan. Does one exist? no idea.

just go for school harems.

I'm betting my honor as an otaku that you'll find far more than just one.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10925 on: April 02, 2012, 06:45:57 am »

*picks up school harem*
*Throws that weak shit out of here*

Wait actually even then no I don't really think so. The Japanese usually bee-line for British people.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10926 on: April 02, 2012, 06:53:08 am »

It's usually like this:
*harem with school girls*
*transfer students (female) shows up after brief encounter pre-school opening*
*it's usually foreigner of "sexy state stereotypes" so, Hot american, hot british, hot *choose a state*. *
*So it's usually a blond because they want to make the blond hair-dark hair stand out thing.
And usually it's also a *mixed blood* to explain why she knows japanese so well.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10927 on: April 02, 2012, 07:10:55 am »

I saw a few eps of a show that had a blonde girl meant to be an American exchange student (introduced a few eps in i think), pretty sure it was the show "Pani Poni Dash" or maybe "Azumanga Daioh" because I only watched a couple of episodes of that, too. (though I'm more certain it was the first show). She wasn't a main character though.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10928 on: April 02, 2012, 07:30:53 am »

Spoilers don't exist.

Stories are not that delicate.

And if Spoilers were ever so powerful then where would rewatchability be?

I mean, come on, unless you're really incapable viewer, you're going to get familiar with the tropes, and story structure of the media & genre you're watching.

Anime is no different.

Heck, Anime fandom created (one of) the progenitor for TV Tropes.

Laws of Anime.

Though that list, was more about cliche, and absurdities within Anime, it still showed commonalities about Anime, that you're going to grow familiar with if you continue to watch it.

There are no Spoilers.

Get over yourself.

And just enjoy what you're watching.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10929 on: April 02, 2012, 07:38:55 am »

Is there a guide anywhere to the best order to play all the related games and watch the shows?
I don't think there's a best order - once you read FSN then Fate/Zero and FHA are pretty much independent of each other I think (FZ has the advantage of being entirely in English though).  All the Tsukihime or KnK stuff is again basically independent.

Wait actually even then no I don't really think so. The Japanese usually bee-line for British people.
Island nations with a love of tea and gardening, an often difficult relationship with their respective mainlands and a very chequered history.  The reasons why are plain to see.

...Uh, I guess it's more to do with relatability issues.  It seems more likely to have a show about a Japanese student who transfers to America since in a fish out of water storyline you generally want to relate to the fish rather than the water.

Spoilers don't exist.
I'm not sure what kind of shows you watch, but there are essentially two kinds of show which can be severely damaged by spoilers - those based on foreshadowed twists and those where part of the fun is working out what is going on before it's fully revealed.  Removing the "lightning bolt" moment when a twist which explains everything is revealed or the fun of trying to work out what's happening behind the scenes can just remove part of the experience the author intended to create.

...I guess I can sometimes go for character spoilers (IE who's gonna be introduced in the next installment) when I'm impatient but that doesn't really spoil much.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10930 on: April 02, 2012, 08:06:26 am »

Spoilers don't exist.
I'm not sure what kind of shows you watch, but there are essentially two kinds of show which can be severely damaged by spoilers - those based on foreshadowed twists and those where part of the fun is working out what is going on before it's fully revealed.  Removing the "lightning bolt" moment when a twist which explains everything is revealed or the fun of trying to work out what's happening behind the scenes can just remove part of the experience the author intended to create.

...I guess I can sometimes go for character spoilers (IE who's gonna be introduced in the next installment) when I'm impatient but that doesn't really spoil much.
[/quote]

If the the Climax for a given event is what only drives when you're consuming media, then sure, it's pretty delicate. But even for show that do have foreshadowing, and wanting the viewer to guess what's going to happen.
Then so what?
Any media is more then about its payout's at the end. The pay outs are very small part of the story overall.

The journey getting to these payouts are the much larger part of the story, and that were most of the story is. That is where most of your enjoyment, and investment lies within.

Its traveling with the story, is where you're going to grow attach to the characters, grow attach to the universe and grow attach to the story.

If your story can't keep you engage with it's journey then the media you're consuming is horribly written.

And shows with foreshadowing are immensely better when rewatching, when you know what's going to happen. You're going to notice so much more out of the story. You're going to get all these small surprises as you watch it, /because/ you know what's going to happen.

Not only that, but knowing what's going to happen can and will reshape how you see characters.

FLCL, is one of my favorite Anime's of all time. I fucking love and adore the shit out of FLCL. And it's filled with foreshadowing and minutia of detail in each episode. I've rewatch that series well over a score, and I still find something new that I didn't notice before. And it was completely ruined for me, if you wanna indulge in the infantile thing of 'Spoilers'.

Totally knew what Atomsk, the big fight, the relationships, what the robot sorta mean, how it's a coming of age story. All that jazz. I watched it sorta over the shoulder as my other friend saw it, and I watch it on my own year's later. And there also Trigun. My first episode, was it's last.

Take, Snape from Harry Potter. After Book Seven/Movie 8, you now have a completely different character then what you get from going through book 1-6. What about Dumbledore? You see Dumbledore in a very different light at the end of the series.

And none of that get's ruined because you get 'spoiled'. Getting told that Snake is really the good guy, doesn't ruin anything. Because /you/ still get to read it, and you still get to have your own take on it. You still get to have your own experience with it.

For my personal taste, I prefer media that's serial, over episodic. I also prefer media that has continuity and consequences from previous installments. I prefer media that has a beginning middle and end. My current big series is Young Justice. (My other two right now happen to episodic. Archer and Bob's Burger. Archer though has a continuity between episodes that I enjoy.)
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10931 on: April 02, 2012, 10:05:34 am »

That's one reason Star Wars I-III ruins the original trilogy if you watch the prequels first. All the stuff you're meant to discover as the hero's do, and go "wow" gets told to you by watching episodes I-III, every bit of mystery already revealed. Definitely watch them in the order they were released.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10932 on: April 02, 2012, 11:12:59 am »

Then how about this for rephrasing the "spoilers":
  • An upcoming fight scene that involves Berserker is arguably more awesome than anything I remember seeing in Fate/Zero yet.
  • A story based on the premise of a battle royal where only one servant/master team is supposed to survive has at least one servant die. This death is portrayed onscreen and makes for an interesting scene.
  • The character interactions in Fate Stay Night are very interesting, especially one of the ones involving the main character.

This only barely abstracts from what I said before. If you look at it like this, what I said earlier is so basic and assumed that they don't count as spoilers at all. That's how I'm seeing this, at least.

In other news, I saw the first ten minutes of the berserk movie on youtube. It was a copy of some promotional material, so it was censored, but it was very good. The idea of censored berserk material is just weird, isn't it?
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10933 on: April 02, 2012, 01:18:23 pm »

Well the anime changes certain scenes so they don't have to be censored.  At least from the two episodes I saw.

Either that or Oriental Light & Magic are lazy.  And seeing that they do Pokemon...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:23:28 pm by ToonyMan »

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10934 on: April 02, 2012, 01:34:57 pm »

Well, I do quite like anime.

I'm planning a Dward Fortress fanfic that pratically turns the world of DF into a Shounen (think like Negima!), indeed. I just love epic speeches, crazy battles, and constant over-the-topness.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.
Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 2193