Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.  (Read 35895 times)

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.
« Reply #240 on: May 25, 2010, 04:52:24 pm »

I've played Black and White 1, and I never thought myself as a God, only as some sort of truck driver. Argh.
You sure it was Black and White 1? :P

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 27, 2010, 02:49:20 am »

It's a very good update, but I'm getting pretty concerned about the lack of serious modding support. Also, where's the music? There's like 2 songs in the whole game. Good songs, but still.

Actually I hate the one about the crazy cat. I want to take the guy who's singing by the throat and choke him to death every time he meows and giggles.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 27, 2010, 08:34:13 pm »

I'm enjoying Tropico 3 way more than I should.

Roads and garages are awesome.  Being able to see the grid you're placing stuff on (even if it's only when your building intersects another) is super cool.  Some parts of it have moved backwards, but fans of Tropico 1 really should get this.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 27, 2010, 10:54:16 pm »

I really don't like it.

I don't get enough information on what's going on. I can't figure out why people dislike me, or how to impress them. When somebody turns rebel or does something similarly unpleasant, I can't figure out who they are. What's worse, they complain incessantly that their houses aren't good enough, but I don't have time to build them nicer houses, so I got massive negative modifiers with everybody before I'm able to do anything.

Maybe once I start to figure everything out it will be a bit nicer, but as it stands, I don't see why you guys are hyping it so much. It doesn't even seem to have changed much from Tropico 1, except for being perhaps even more obtuse (I seem to recall that it was far easier to track your citizens back then).
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #244 on: May 27, 2010, 11:26:15 pm »

I can't figure out why people dislike me
You can see a happiness breakdown by clicking the happiness number, and it should show you exactly why the people dislike you. This is covered in the tutorials.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 27, 2010, 11:29:09 pm »

Clicking on each individual citizen's happiness meter would probably be fine if there weren't sixty of them.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #246 on: May 27, 2010, 11:34:48 pm »

Clicking on each individual citizen's happiness meter would probably be fine if there weren't sixty of them.
You can also get a good overview from the ledger, it gives averages for your whole population. 20% religious happiness? That means they're not getting enough religious satisfaction. You need more priests, or more churches, or a cathedral. A religious newspaper also helps.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 28, 2010, 12:06:57 am »

Well, I figured it out and kept my people fairly happy during the first mission of the campaign, though I kept sinking into debt near the end of each year (I was trying to use logging camps to export, since the actual bananas did nothing for me when people kept eating them).

It crashed upon autosaving, though, which frustrated me enough to turn it off for the night.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 28, 2010, 02:10:21 am »

Lumber's a pretty crummy export.  It's only good when you have, like, NO educated workers, and you can't grow hardly anything.  It's like the motels of industry.  I consider it worthless really, but YMMV.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #249 on: May 28, 2010, 03:01:20 am »

Lumber's a pretty crummy export.  It's only good when you have, like, NO educated workers, and you can't grow hardly anything.  It's like the motels of industry.  I consider it worthless really, but YMMV.
I've found that logging can bring in a very good amount of money. Lumber mills to process the logs into lumber aren't all that good in my opinion unless you further refine the lumber into furniture.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 28, 2010, 03:10:05 am »

For cash I usually just go for cigars if there's good tobacco land around. Decent moneymaker, and the factory is pretty cheap so it can get started early. Build mines for any mineral deposits as early as possible, that'll kickstart any economy.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 28, 2010, 03:49:19 am »

Well, I figured it out and kept my people fairly happy during the first mission of the campaign, though I kept sinking into debt near the end of each year (I was trying to use logging camps to export, since the actual bananas did nothing for me when people kept eating them).

It crashed upon autosaving, though, which frustrated me enough to turn it off for the night.
Logging camps on their own are pretty useless when it comes to cashflow, as logs are one of the most low-priced exports of all. However, lumber and furniture aren't, so if you decide to go this path, get a lumber mill, and eventually, a furniture factory to supplement the logging camp(s). Be sure to upgrade your logging camp so as to provide a nice production boost as well as not having to rebuild the logging camp nearer to the actual trees all the time.

As mentioned, mines is your best bet of getting a good, solid foundation to build your economy on, as mines are relatively cheap, and because minerals have very high export prices. Gold is a very lucrative export, especially if paired with a jewelry factory, but iron or bauxite is sufficient if the gold is too far away (or on some islands, lacking all together). Though remember to back it up with another industry in a decade or two, as mineral deposits are not infinite.

Tobacco and sugar are also nice exports, and also the cheapest to set up, just pop a farm or two at sufficiently fertile ground and you're good to go. Though you should eventually upgrade it with a cigar factory (if you're growing tobacco), or a rum distillery (if you're growing sugar). Just remember to not enable the Prohibition edict if you go with the latter, as it will shut it down.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 28, 2010, 04:10:33 am »

Actually I hate the one about the crazy cat. I want to take the guy who's singing by the throat and choke him to death every time he meows and giggles.

After hearing it 50 times in a row, I kinda hate it too...  ::)
For they would be your masters.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #253 on: May 28, 2010, 04:48:39 am »

A logging camp brings in more than you might think. It has a low export price but moves a high volume.

It won't support a developed island, but its a great early supplement for your economy and you're just going to build over those trees anyway.

It gets a lot of your low class labor employed in something that will bring in a little cash and clear some land for farming.

And if they have money, they can pay it back to you in rent.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 28, 2010, 12:16:41 pm »

Another easy to set up export is cattle, really. I've found that 2 workers can make about 5000 a year with the smoked beef upgrade and green pastures.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24