Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24

Author Topic: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.  (Read 35869 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.
« Reply #255 on: May 28, 2010, 01:14:55 pm »

Cattle makes a surprising amount of money. The downside is it's no good for employing your workforce. Employment is a bitch.

Your best bet is to find a good crop, preferably an inedible one like tobacco, coffee, or sugar, and develop an advanced economy. That makes the capitalists happy, which will keep the US off your tail, and doesn't make the communists pissy at all (though it will probably lead to high economic disparity, which does). Plus it generates a large number of jobs, between the farmers, factory workers, and teamsters. Generally, I don't worry about making the people happy, my philosophy is that the nation is built on it's economy, if you are making money and building general improvements (decent housing, garages, education, entertainment, electricity, etc.) they'll be happier in the long run than if you drive yourself into debt trying to pander to them. Winning elections is easy anyways, just suck up to the factions that hate you in your speech and maybe do a tax cut if you're still losing.

Generally speaking, if your island has anything marketable like crops, beaches, or minerals, you probably will be fine. It's not a very hard game, you just have to learn how to find the information you want.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 28, 2010, 05:30:05 pm »

<DOESN'T HAVE TROPICO 3, USING EXPERIENCE FROM TROPICO 1>

Tobacco is surprisingly easy to grow, sugar wasn't. However, Rum brings in a hell of a profit if done right. Logging->Lumber->Furniture is good if you have a large population, the majority being uneducated, and don't give a damn about the environment or the elves who should be shot dead by your soldiers environmentalists, but the money that goes into supporting that population can eat into your profits. Did they reduce the cost of a mine from the first one to the third one, since I remember mines being somewhat expensive to put up(the profits helped this, though)?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 28, 2010, 06:54:44 pm »

Tobacco is surprisingly easy to grow, sugar wasn't. However, Rum brings in a hell of a profit if done right. Logging->Lumber->Furniture is good if you have a large population, the majority being uneducated, and don't give a damn about the environment or the elves who should be shot dead by your soldiers environmentalists, but the money that goes into supporting that population can eat into your profits. Did they reduce the cost of a mine from the first one to the third one, since I remember mines being somewhat expensive to put up(the profits helped this, though)?
I think they're less than 5000, and considering that a farm is ~2000 it's not really expensive.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 28, 2010, 09:39:48 pm »

Also, if you want to cheat, you can play as a Booze Baron character.

Seriously.  +100% export price of rum?  That's broken beyond belief.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 28, 2010, 10:33:57 pm »

Right now Tobacco is a bit annoying to grow because it's usually on like, hillsides or something, and finding a spot that's not too steep to build your farm is kinda hard. But yeah, it's a moneymaker...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #260 on: May 28, 2010, 10:42:36 pm »

Right now Tobacco is a bit annoying to grow because it's usually on like, hillsides or something, and finding a spot that's not too steep to build your farm is kinda hard. But yeah, it's a moneymaker...
Coffee is the same way, but if you can get a decent supply and a cannery with a flash freezer, you will roll in the money.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 29, 2010, 04:00:30 am »

I remember winning the extremely hard mission in tropico 1 (the one where you had to issue free elections every 5 years in a hostile political setting), by building a rum factory and a high school as 2 of my 3 free buildings. After that cash just flowed in and with some early elections and tax cutting I remained in power.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #262 on: May 29, 2010, 04:18:43 am »

You can save quite a lot of money if you play a diplomatic presidente and build your free diplomatic ministry right away, then grab the USSR diplomatic help that reduces the cost for all apartments and tenements.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 29, 2010, 04:22:03 am »

I usually go for a Capitalist president with a lot of production and education boosters. Oh, and also, Cheapskate. I fail to see how that one is a flaw in any way (Wait, I get a free building discount from a flaw? And I can't set anyone's wage to an amount higher than I would ever set it to anyway? Jackpot!)
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 29, 2010, 07:31:14 am »

Cheaper buildings mean less money in Switzerland. It's also why development aid isn't something you shoul have throughout your regime.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 29, 2010, 07:40:34 am »

Cheaper buildings mean less money in Switzerland. It's also why development aid isn't something you shoul have throughout your regime.
I never use that edict anyway, since I horribly, horribly try to avert having more costly buildings, I'm having difficulties enough in the beginning as it is. Plus I don't care that much about swiss banking. Though I do tend to drop down a few banks with slush fund, though.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 29, 2010, 07:58:43 am »

cheap buildings are good, especially when said buildings are houses. it makes people happy. with less effort or money. And if people are happy without taking all your money, you can focus more on economic development. and if you increase economy, you can have all the money you want in Switzerland through careful use of 5 banks.
Beside, cheap building allow you to have a quick start.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 29, 2010, 08:06:22 am »

You have enough at start to build a cigar factory, and that's all that matters. It'll make you enough money to start a tourism industry, and once that gets established national budget is not a problem, but siphoning money into Switzerland fast enough is.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 29, 2010, 08:14:27 am »

I value people's happiness over Switzerland wealth. 2 different ways to play the game. I encourage population growth and that means that I need to build MANY houses.

question: do you think petrol industry is something worth having? prices are good, but I found that output is relatively small. The option to hold exports mean you can use it as cash reserve for hard times, but other industries produce more things worth more money, and they employ more people too.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 29, 2010, 08:22:47 am »

Why swindle money away to Switzerland and spend your retirement cowering in Miami when you can be loved by your fellow Tropicans and retire their revered and respected leader of a golden age?

Generalissimo Coup Patriotic Incorruptable Paranoid Jingo

I like to think my military discourages invasions. Although that's really one element I'd love to see; Hueys or Hinds zipping over my island dropping off squads of invaders with the odd snowball's chance in hell you could actually win.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24