Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24

Author Topic: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.  (Read 35872 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.
« Reply #270 on: May 29, 2010, 09:38:43 am »

Cheaper buildings mean less money in Switzerland. It's also why development aid isn't something you shoul have throughout your regime.
I never use that edict anyway, since I horribly, horribly try to avert having more costly buildings, I'm having difficulties enough in the beginning as it is. Plus I don't care that much about swiss banking. Though I do tend to drop down a few banks with slush fund, though.
That's usually the way you should do it. 'Special' Building Permits can really bite your treasury, and banks, along with laundering money, actually reduce building costs quite a bit, inhibiting the edict. Also, it raises building costs by 20%*, but only half of what's added to the original cost makes it into your Swiss account, and the other half is usually more than operating costs of banks(unless building costs are down, but that defeats the purpose).

I usually take Coward. Since I never have a military, I don't need to worry about a coup, and my policies never incite a rebellion or uprising, and I pander to the superpowers to block any kind of foreign invasion(which, unless you ally with the Russians first, only ever comes from the US).

For whoever said something about Booze Baron, the problem with sugar is that sometimes it's hard to find good sugar land, a distillery is expensive and huge, and raw sugar doesn't have as good a price by itself.

*Unless they changed it in 3
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 29, 2010, 09:48:05 am »

The new Nationalist party would dispose you. They get ticked if you have no army and are making their country an armed camp of one of the superpowers.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 29, 2010, 09:55:00 am »

It's the militarists who get pissed if you have no army. And you don't want to piss them off, even if you have an army of 4, 2vs2 battles rarely go your way. Your troops run into battle separated like chickens with their heads cut off (why the heck did they draft dwarves?) while the rebels and coup usually start together. Kind irritating really.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2010, 02:30:09 am »

It's the militarists who get pissed if you have no army. And you don't want to piss them off, even if you have an army of 4, 2vs2 battles rarely go your way. Your troops run into battle separated like chickens with their heads cut off (why the heck did they draft dwarves?) while the rebels and coup usually start together. Kind irritating really.
That's why it's best to not have any military at all if you can manage it. If you only have one soldier and he tries to stage a coup, you're pretty much guaranteed to win. Rebels can be prevented, and even if they attack something it's usually not important.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2010, 02:46:34 am »

Why swindle money away to Switzerland and spend your retirement cowering in Miami when you can be loved by your fellow Tropicans and retire their revered and respected leader of a golden age?

Generalissimo Coup Patriotic Incorruptable Paranoid Jingo

I like to think my military discourages invasions. Although that's really one element I'd love to see; Hueys or Hinds zipping over my island dropping off squads of invaders with the odd snowball's chance in hell you could actually win.
If you get the Absolute Power expansion you can pay for a nuclear program which will prevent anyone from invading you so long as you keep it powered and your national treasury doesn't drop into the negative

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2010, 02:57:30 am »

Since I figure Switzerland can wait until my island is off the ground, I tend to adore the diplomatic ministry and get that edict before I build any tenements to begin with.

Hmm.  I forgot about the banks lowering building costs.  I wonder...Would it be a good idea, early in the game, to build a bank and hire a foreign banker right off the bat?

OH HEY.  I didn't see anything about it on the menu in Steam.  But you might enjoy the manual, which has all kinds of goodies.  http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/23490/Tropico3Manual_US.pdf
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 03:01:45 am by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2010, 03:48:21 am »

You can become a nuclear power in AP? You should be able to grow drugs for smuggling, seems a lot more sensible than a tiny island nation developing a nuclear weapon..

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #277 on: May 30, 2010, 03:51:14 am »

You can become a nuclear power in AP? You should be able to grow drugs for smuggling, seems a lot more sensible than a tiny island nation developing a nuclear weapon..
More like you buy a nuclear weapon, but yeah.

Also you can refine iron into weapons to sell on the black market. Brings a very good profit but steadily reduces your relations with both USA and USSR

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 30, 2010, 04:47:09 am »

Whoa!  I want this expansion like wow.

I wish it was on Steam.  :(

PRE-EDIT:  Oh hey, there it is!  ...I think I'm gonna get it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 30, 2010, 10:49:55 pm »

Wow, I could get T3 for $9 on gamersgate, I'm tempted to actually buy the game for real.. Is Absolute Power standalone?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 30, 2010, 10:55:48 pm »

I don't know of any country in Central America (other than Panama and possibly the Bahamas [there was some drug dealer based in Colombia that bought out an island in the Bahamas and used it to transport drugs to Flordia]) that beniefted from the illegal drug trade. It's more fluffy than nuclear weapons though. I think the developers of Tropico 1 and Tropico 3 said that they view the drug trade as so morally and ethically disgusting that they wouldn't want to promote it in any sort of video game format.

Also, if you're going to have an army, hire police officers too. If the military launches a coup, you can send in the cops to arrest them.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 10:58:03 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #281 on: May 30, 2010, 10:57:43 pm »

Wow, I could get T3 for $9 on gamersgate, I'm tempted to actually buy the game for real.. Is Absolute Power standalone?
No, you will need the original game as well.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 30, 2010, 11:01:45 pm »

Here's the AP manual, if you're interested.

http://www.tomnobles.com/Tropico-3-AP-PC-Manual-UK.pdf
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 30, 2010, 11:48:58 pm »

Played through a full 50 year sandbox on the Los Guerreros (maybe not the real name) map today. It was relatively easy, as the map had indicated, though I had trouble getting all the buildings to fit in that little valley and on the beach. I finally gave in and stuck an oil refinery right in the middle of my tourist beach, which was the best choice because oil is apparently incredibly valuable (who would have though).

Ended the game with $30,000 or so in Swiss Bank from Slush Funding, around 450 citizens, none in shacks, respect of 80 or more with all factions (including both nations) and a budget surplus of $100 000 (it got easier to save money when there was no room on the island for land). I ran into trouble in the 80s when my mine ran dry and I kept going into debt between tanker shipments (Like, $20,000 debt, alleviated only by my cigar industry). The oil saved me.

I started with the Moscow U. background, with Entrepreneurial and Diplomatic benefits, Elected for Family Values. My weaknesses were Coward and Cheapskate.

The US hated me so much that I had to rush for an alliance with the USSR after only 4 or 5 years. Then, 2 years later, they demanded that I let them perform nuclear testing on my island, which I outright refused. So their base sat next to my cigar factory in a corner of the valley for the whole game. Later, the US ended up loving me anyways, because my Liberty level was so high and the Capitalists liked me. It seems more beneficial to be allied with the US, since they pay you more foreign aid.

I only had one rebel attack, consisting of 3 men against my 14. Of course, they chose to attack a farm that was positioned right behind my army base. Everybody loved me, though. Even these 3 flipped only because the US took over my TV station at one point (they also tried to assassinate me). I won about ten elections by a landslide, fair and square.

I would have liked if the USSR collapsed in 1991 or something, though. Or if I could get the Pope to visit more than once. Does the Pope actually have a unit? I looked for him, but couldn't find him. :(
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 30, 2010, 11:52:10 pm »

Why did the US take over a TV station?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24