Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 84114 times)

folo4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #495 on: June 22, 2008, 06:19:01 am »

alright, it's too late; Toady One may be swamped by something-I-Can't-remember-right-now and may have to delay DF until mid-july.

another month of non-release. At least, the images of tunnels will be smeared into DF-players' minds.

Zara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 22, 2008, 06:38:56 am »

alright, it's too late; Toady One may be swamped by something-I-Can't-remember-right-now and may have to delay DF until mid-july.

There's no need to be so pessimistic. Yesterday, Toady One wrote: "I've finished the largest issues with roads/tunnels etc. that I've located.", so the reminder of stage 4 should go faster. 

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 22, 2008, 08:09:13 am »

There's no need to be so pessimistic. Yesterday, Toady One wrote: "I've finished the largest issues with roads/tunnels etc. that I've located.", so the reminder of stage 4 should go faster. 

He's referring to Toady stating he'd be taking the last week of June off, meaning he's stopping today, the 22nd. He still has 188 lines to go through, among other things. I think mid-July might actually be optimistic.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 22, 2008, 08:13:21 am »

I really want to smooth out an entire tunnel. Really. Then engrave all over it, and make it a shiny amazing place for the advernturers, by putting lots and lots of heavy bins of armour and weaponry there.

Oh, and traps (if adventurer traps work in the next version). Lots of them.

Ooh! That's a REALLY good idea! put loads of traps in a tunnel, bye bye travelling gobbos!

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 22, 2008, 09:49:13 am »

Am I the only one who thinks the roads are bit too wide? They are two wagons wide, which seems too "modern". I always imagined old roads were really narrow, mostly just for one wagon.

I think it would be great if the civilisations built narrow roads first, then perhaps expanded them when the cities get bigger. Perhaps the dirt roads might be only 3 tiles wide, to make them seem more plausible?

Anyway... this update seems great and I really look forward for it. Thanks, Toady.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

dwarfed one

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 22, 2008, 12:29:59 pm »

Am I the only one who thinks the roads are bit too wide? They are two wagons wide, which seems too "modern".
No, it just right. Roman roads was about 244 cm wide in central part and 7-10 meters in total. Should be enough for wagons to go in both direction at same time.

There is more interesting thing - would it have any matter, if roads would be blocked and trapped by player? What would armies do as they will arise in real time? I mean not active fortress. Player could make all road system dysfunctional by embarking along it.

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 22, 2008, 12:42:56 pm »

He he he, Chunkyhells.. cute name :P

On a fairly unrelated note, shouldn't family names continue some how? I always find it strange when a dwarf is born in my fortress and it has a completely different name than it's parents.

tinhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 22, 2008, 01:04:40 pm »

Am I the only one who thinks the roads are bit too wide? They are two wagons wide, which seems too "modern".
No, it just right. Roman roads was about 244 cm wide in central part and 7-10 meters in total. Should be enough for wagons to go in both direction at same time.

There is more interesting thing - would it have any matter, if roads would be blocked and trapped by player? What would armies do as they will arise in real time? I mean not active fortress. Player could make all road system dysfunctional by embarking along it.

Unless the road stayed there, even if the player destroyed it.. And if a wall was there, wouldn't they just go around it?

On another note, is toady really gonna be gone for a week?

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 22, 2008, 01:35:32 pm »

The story in todays devnotes, the one about the girl who grew up in the goblin fortress and stuff, was awesome.  Seems like something that could come  out of a movie.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 22, 2008, 02:39:30 pm »

The story in todays devnotes, the one about the girl who grew up in the goblin fortress and stuff, was awesome.  Seems like something that could come  out of a movie.

Yeah, I was a little skeptical that true amazing stories could emerge from an automated world generation system, but the principles of emergence seem to apply very well in DF.

I'm still confused with goblin's intentions with kidnapping and the general purpose of slavery. Do slaves are treated like slaves or just like regular citizens? What are the effects of slavery? Do abducted babies turn into slaves? If not, then why goblins carry out abductions?

Edit: wow, sorry about the broken link
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 07:17:43 pm by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 22, 2008, 05:33:09 pm »

Something gone scary wrong with your link.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 22, 2008, 05:47:24 pm »

I thinke this would be the right link.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #507 on: June 22, 2008, 06:58:30 pm »

Roman roads were only two wagons wide in terms of active roads.  Farm roads and remote roads would only be one wagon wide, of course.  DF presently doesn't model civ-based farms at all, however, so all roads are intercity and thus are appropriately wide.

(Incidentally, Roman roads had left-hand drive so if an oncoming rider attacked, the caravan guards could use their right hands to fell the enemy.)

One complaint I have with the roads is the fact that they are too narrow when they go diagonally; diagonal roads measured north-to-south should be 1.41 times wider than orthogonal roads in order to maintain proper aspect across their diagonal width.

Example:

Essentially, the road should be drawn diagonally by taking the width of the road as a brush size.  This applies to all cases but that first path, which is expanded to a ⌈-shaped brush in order to make the road seamless.

You can see how the latter road is just a 3x3 chunk repeated diagonally once the road terminates in the vertical direction.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 22, 2008, 07:27:33 pm »

Mrs. Chunkyhells, call for you on the white courtesy telephone.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 23, 2008, 12:13:33 am »

No idea how old this is or how much you care, Toady One, but I was reading through the support page* out of curiousity and found this sentence:
Drop by the forums or the IRC channel and tell us you think.

Unless I'm misreading something it seems like it should be "...tell us what you think."

* http://www.bay12games.com/support.html
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 64