Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 84062 times)

Zara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #465 on: June 19, 2008, 04:59:53 pm »

Tunnels are a cool idea.  But it's gonna be funny when you are walking around in a tunnel and you come across exposed diamonds or platinum nuggets something.  I guess there needs to be something in place to prevent this? :)

That shouldn't be to hard to implement. The pseudo-AI that designs the NPC fortresses needs to learn how to dig out ore veins anyway. (The current generic design is just boring.)The game only needs to check if ore or gems were exposed during the creation of the tunnel, 'dig' them out, check again if ore or gems were exposed, etc. Also the obvious way to implement: Bloat218, VEIN MINING OPTION, (Future): Ability to designate a metal vein for digging. They'd keep mining out the same kind of metal in adjacent squares as they uncover them. 

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 19, 2008, 07:09:59 pm »

Tunnels are a cool idea.  But it's gonna be funny when you are walking around in a tunnel and you come across exposed diamonds or platinum nuggets something.  I guess there needs to be something in place to prevent this? :)

That shouldn't be to hard to implement. The pseudo-AI that designs the NPC fortresses needs to learn how to dig out ore veins anyway. (The current generic design is just boring.)The game only needs to check if ore or gems were exposed during the creation of the tunnel, 'dig' them out, check again if ore or gems were exposed, etc. Also the obvious way to implement: Bloat218, VEIN MINING OPTION, (Future): Ability to designate a metal vein for digging. They'd keep mining out the same kind of metal in adjacent squares as they uncover them. 

That's a better idea than dwarves "hiding" exposed veins during tunnel construction.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 19, 2008, 09:04:21 pm »

Toady, do you have any specific idea about how you want the RAWs to be structured in the future?  Specifically, have you given any thought to having "templates" which can be applied to creatures and perhaps objects that modify their behavior in specific ways, and to "super" entries, which other entries can extend so that they are similar and related?

Really, I just want to know how you plan on eventually structuring the raws.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 19, 2008, 10:00:53 pm »

If you "Prepare carefully for your journey," what you can select there is the same as what you can order from the traders.  Admittably, at that point it's too late to turn back, but at least you can just alt-F4 and try another civ without putting any fortress work down first.

Well thats just it, its too late. And you can only check that out after finding and selecting a fortress site. On top of this when you select another home civ your selection pad seems to get randomized as it jumps around the map area on the selection screen when you scroll through the choices.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #469 on: June 19, 2008, 11:21:08 pm »

Incoming caravans don't care about roads at this time.  Aside from a bucketfull of bug fixes, not much will be different about fortress mode.

It's premature to finalize the raw structures at this time, but certainly they'll be expanded.  I'm not sure what you had in mind.  Things like "skeleton" and "zombie" are going to be rawified, as well as random creature helpers like "mammal" or "quadruped", most likely, as in the original Armok.  It would also be preferably to handle any male/female size/body/etc. differences via a smaller raw than an entire new entry.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 19, 2008, 11:42:17 pm »

I don't know about others, but I was really liking the idea that occassionally a road or tunnel would just dead end for no reason (I'm sure a fictional reason could be made up, like the tunnelers were beseiged by kobolds from behind and slaughtered, or the tunnel hit a magma tube and needed to be abandonned. From what Toady says though, it sounds like road development is now more organic, with roads teetering off away from the main road like they would if they fell into disuse. This will make for exciting game play, me-thinks!

What will also be great is running into travelling merchants and caravans on the roads in adventure mode. That way we could sell up the gear we've been carting around with us without going all the way back to town. Another delicious development would just be travellers who ocassionally come onto your dwarf map and then leave as they travel the road. Quite flavoursome if this goes in!

Toady, I'm wondering how much would need to change so that our fortresses could be left functioning like the world gen towns and fortresses rather than abandonned?
Dwarf capitals don't seem to have much or do much, and the migrants left behind after abandonning appear, to all intents and purposes, the same as those in Dwarven Civs. Seems like a hop, skip, and a jump to get them settling in, trading, questing-joining, and quest giving.

Cheers!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #471 on: June 20, 2008, 12:02:04 am »

@ Mu: I agree that on the one hand, that fortress "retiring" would be awesomesauce. Even a one-time only deal where you would never be allowed to reactivate a "retired" fortress would be neat.
I was going to make a statement on how there might be some game ballance issues with it until a better economy sim is in place, but if you think about it, if you haven't played long enough to get a mayor, then when you retire, that fort has no quests. If you don't have any economy- thus no shops- you get none in Adventurer mode. Homeless dwarves move away or die off, or get jobs in the military so they can stay in the barracks. I don't see why Code-y Toad-y hasn't done this yet, but I know it's in the plans. Maybe.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 20, 2008, 12:10:11 am »

I agree that finalizing the raws would be premature, I was mostly curious about what you ideally wanted the RAW structure to be like, and what they contain.  I had a couple suggestions about the structure, and it occurred to me that you may already want them.

What I had in mind with the "super" entries was a system where you could define a "categorical" specie, say Dragon, or human, and you could define sub-species of that creature, say Ice Dragon, or dark human.  While they would be different, they would be closely related to each other.  You could reference either the specific creature, or reference each creature related to the "categorical" specie.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 20, 2008, 02:54:21 am »

That's a better idea than dwarves "hiding" exposed veins during tunnel construction.

Another interesting thing to do would be: If the vein or feature is valuable enough, the recovery of it could induce the formation of a mining colony, a budding fortress akin to what the player can be expected to make! And if it's a vein of low-value material available in bulk from the road-building civilization, they could ignore it. Supply and demand.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 20, 2008, 10:55:46 am »

If a tunnel ends prematurely then it should have a sign mounted outside that talks about a collapse or worker ambush or simply that the work isn't done.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #475 on: June 20, 2008, 11:53:51 am »

O.M.G.
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

Towns have roads! dirt roads!

Yeeeeeeeeee!

*Does a happy has a roads dance*
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 20, 2008, 12:01:18 pm »

I don't know about others, but I was really liking the idea that occassionally a road or tunnel would just dead end for no reason (I'm sure a fictional reason could be made up, like the tunnelers were beseiged by kobolds from behind and slaughtered, or the tunnel hit a magma tube and needed to be abandonned. From what Toady says though, it sounds like road development is now more organic, with roads teetering off away from the main road like they would if they fell into disuse. This will make for exciting game play, me-thinks!

I rather prefer that roads, bridges, tunnels collapse during world-gen due to real world-gen events like wars, earthquakes, etc. Than feigning that something happened just to cover up a bug. I'm glad Toady fixed it. And the images look pretty nice. Roads could be improved (as everything else, towns, etc), but they are pretty fine for the upcoming releases.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 20, 2008, 12:28:12 pm »

If a tunnel ends prematurely then it should have a sign mounted outside that talks about a collapse or worker ambush or simply that the work isn't done.

If the work just isn't done, then unless it's winter there should be a temporary encampment for the miners... along with the miners themselves. "Where do you live?" "Back along the tunnel at Meltedtowers!" "[ASK ABOUT QUEST]" "Sure, grab a pick and start swingin'!"
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 20, 2008, 03:47:11 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
In general, I was happy enough when things showed up at all that I didn't spend time making roads look more rounded, making bridges look good at all or giving the main dirt roads better edges

I think that the dirt roads look organic, which is appropriate.  I don't know about you, but most dirt roads/paths I've taken vary in width and tend to meander rather than go perfectly from point A to point B.

The bridges could use a bit of an aesthetic improvement, but nothing major.  Maybe just columns or some such nonsense at the four corners.

This is one of those situations where I think you may be judging your work a little too harshly, and I'm not just saying that so you'll hurry to release.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 20, 2008, 06:11:49 pm »

Yeah, I think things look pretty good.

For the bridges, I think you could get away with just having walls along the edges that don't connect to roads. So, N/S or E/W, whichever is appropriate. It'd clearly define them, and look nice.

Later on you can get ambitious and add things like gatehouses to bridges that are near towns.  ;D
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 64