Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 83942 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Future of the Fortress 4
« on: May 31, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »

The Fotf 3 thread was getting buggy.
Fotf 3

Ok, we where discussing the magnificence of Megabeast Week- The legends alone sound awe-some.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 07:45:00 pm »

Currently worshipping a semi mega beast doesnt do much, it would be cool if after a while they caught on and fought for that civ, then you can go by later on and there would be like a minataur sitting in the local temple.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 08:21:00 pm »

Minotaurs and another semimegabeasts won't be worshipped, at least for now. Just megabeasts will be.

I liked the fact that semimegabeasts could join forces to attack settlements, though;

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:35:00 pm »

quote:
The cyclops I was quested to kill had a thousand year history of badassery, and all of that without the leg it lost in the Year 3 (a dwarf bit it off... I should probably deal with that).

you know, people don't believe me when I talk about how awesome this game is.

Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 11:23:00 pm »

Toady has a flair for telling the history of many of the events within the Legends to make it interesting.

Otherwise without the narration most of it would be boring.

I mean, many of his stories I am sure most people, myself included, wouldn't have caught if Toady just posted the Legends Logs such as the Elf Babysnatcher.

Instead of seeing this tale of betrayal you would see

"In 155 Don Won Stole babies"

Toady certainly can pick pages out of the history and peice together a story and retell it in very interesting ways... Part of the many reasons I like reading his updates

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »

I don't know exactly why, but the Age of Fairy Tales makes me very happy.
Just talking to people in town should be awesome now, as you ill run into random megabeast worshipers, civilizations that hate each other, and so on.  Also, roads!

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 12:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>Toady has a flair for telling the history of many of the events within the Legends to make it interesting.

I mean, many of his stories I am sure most people, myself included, wouldn't have caught if Toady just posted the Legends Logs such as the Elf Babysnatcher.</STRONG>

That's part of the fun! I was posting snippets from the devlog to people in IRC the other day for the Ettin, and was telling the story in between the legend snippets:

<STRONG>In 34, Tolis Actionlisten settled in The Blue Gutters.</STRONG>

"This look like pretty good place to settle down for while."

<STRONG>In 36, Vadane Sternbear confronted Tolis Actionlisten.</STRONG>

"Hey, you damn ettin! Get the hell out of here before I call pest control!"

<STRONG>In  36, Vadane  Sternbear's  second  toe, right  foot was  smashed by  Tolis
Actionlisten.</STRONG>

*stomp*

"AAAAAOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!"

"Get out before Tolis break OTHER foot, puny."

Derp.

C0nscript

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 12:59:00 am »

I think, during a siege, it'd be awesome to control a squad leader like in adventure mode and charge at bowgoblins with 30 axedwarves.

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 04:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Licorice:
<STRONG>"Get out before Tolis break OTHER foot, puny."</STRONG>

That made me LOL   :D   :D

quote:
Originally posted by C0nscript:
<STRONG>I think, during a siege, it'd be awesome to control a squad leader like in adventure mode and charge at bowgoblins with 30 axedwarves.</STRONG>

You'll going to see that happen soon. It's a stated Army Arc goal.

fox has become enraged!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 05:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>Toady has a flair for telling the history of many of the events within the Legends to make it interesting.

I mean, many of his stories I am sure most people, myself included, wouldn't have caught if Toady just posted the Legends Logs such as the Elf Babysnatcher.

Instead of seeing this tale of betrayal you would see

"In 155 Don Won Stole babies"

Toady certainly can pick pages out of the history and peice together a story and retell it in very interesting ways... Part of the many reasons I like reading his updates</STRONG>

Well, you could write interesting stories based off the legends screen too. Itīs not about the way they are displayed, but about what happened. To let the players create their own stories is one of the main objectives of the game.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 08:22:00 am »

Like Will Wright's new game, Pee.
Shoes...

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »

quote:
I think, during a siege, it'd be awesome to control a squad leader like in adventure mode and charge at bowgoblins with 30 axedwarves.

quote:
Originally posted by ShunterAlhena:
<STRONG>

You'll going to see that happen soon. It's a stated Army Arc goal.</STRONG>

I'm not sure how I feel about that if its true. I understand that sometimes AI can be buggy and it would be awesome to control your squad leader, but I think that it detracts from your dwarf's individuality. If I'm controlling my dwarf I wont feel the same attraction to his amazing experiences as if he experienced them himself.

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

I noticed how one of the tags Toady mentioned was [Slowlearner]. What bearing does that have on the game?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »

Actually the ideas range from allowing the AI to handle everything in realtime to having the player control each and every creature manually a-la some kind of wicked Laser Squad game.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sindai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Yeah, the Army Arc I'm doing now is not geared toward donations or expanding the fanbase.  None of the extra features, even visible ones, would really help there, since the game is very inaccessible and I don't retain very many people over lack of graphics, keyboard-only input and lack of help.  After I get the basic Army Arc in place, I'm probably going to have to worry a bit more about that sort of thing, but I'd been saying the Army Arc was up next for more than a year, back before the Z coordinate, so I should get some of it done.  I'm treading water now (I have the same amount of money in the bank as I had a year ago when I quit my job), so I can keep ignoring reality for a bit longer.  I'm not sure I'm going to pin myself to an Arc again, including the Presentation Arc, since I don't like doing the same thing for so long, but there will be interface improvements and tutorials coming after I get the basic Army Arc releases up, in some form or another, though I'll likely disappoint people who are looking for APIs or magical this and that's or whatever.</STRONG>

Yeah, I think you'll see the playerbase explode if you just threw together a halfway decent mouse-and-button interface for fortress mode instead of the current roguelike one. RTS and strategy game players are used to puzzling out interfaces with a lot of buttons, as long as they can click on them.

I can't see that not being priority #1 for the presentation arc. No point doing tutorials or help until the interface they're for is done.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 64