Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 84064 times)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #480 on: June 20, 2008, 06:15:58 pm »

Different kind of bridges would be cool. Not just different materials (which by the way, should correspond to what's available to the civ). But also different layouts: Some with ward railings, some without them. Some with ceiling, some without them. Some diagonal bridges. Some half-built, some destroyed. Some stair-bridges (go from botton of cliff to top). Some arc bridges (which ramp up from the start/end to a top level in the middle.

By the way, Toady. This would definitively go beyond the scope of the game but maybe you could figure out a way to "rawify" structure generation so that modders can add architectural features on their own. That way you won't have to spend too much time adding spice to the game. Something like loading ascii or block patterns that represent building segments, walls, ceilings, etc. And using them as building blocks wherever required. Modders could even define for which kind of building the structure they defined is intended to.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 06:19:10 pm by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 20, 2008, 11:28:57 pm »

If a tunnel ends prematurely then it should have a sign mounted outside that talks about a collapse or worker ambush or simply that the work isn't done.

If the work just isn't done, then unless it's winter there should be a temporary encampment for the miners... along with the miners themselves. "Where do you live?" "Back along the tunnel at Meltedtowers!" "[ASK ABOUT QUEST]" "Sure, grab a pick and start swingin'!"

I rather like this idea, and think it could be expanded for any possible roads. It will be interesting to see how it's been implemented, I know Toady mentioned "Critters'll build up stone roads now between their larger cities as they grow" but that doesn't explain how it looks. I.e. do they slowly build the road from one connection to another? Does it just pop up out of nowhere when a town gets a certain size?

I suppose I'll know for certain once the new version is out. I still think it'd be interesting to see the critter at work, slowly expanding the road network. That being said, one has to wonder where they get all that stone, I certainly didn't notice any rock quarry pits..

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 21, 2008, 08:57:04 am »

I think that the dirt roads look organic, which is appropriate.  I don't know about you, but most dirt roads/paths I've taken vary in width and tend to meander rather than go perfectly from point A to point B.

I think what you're seeing is the dirt paths, where creatures have walked and subsequently trampled down the grass, and not the actual dirt roads, which appear to look identical to the stone roads, except made of dirt.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 21, 2008, 11:17:22 am »

Yo!  Devlog!  Up!
Quote from: Toady One
06/20/2008: 188. I've finished the largest issues with roads/tunnels etc. that I've located. The tunnels will now connect into the dwarf and goblin sites. As with roads, they look very basic. These are goblin tunnels connecting to three other goblin sites -- in addition to the chasm bridges, you can see a few smaller tunnels, ramps and staircases that lead up into the towers of the site at this location, though you can't see the towers themselves. There's a bug right now where sleeping guards spam unconsciousness messages, which I'm going to fix before the release, but it messed up my attempt to make a tunnel movie. I thought it would be an uneventful journey, but I gather now that I may have been mistaken. I managed to kill four antmen at the first chasm bridge I found, and a few more wandering the tunnel after that, but I guess there was another chasm up ahead.

Including proof that the great Toad plays just like us.  The highways aren't for civilized men.  Or lowways, as it were.

Also, apparently Dwarven excavation skill is so great, they can pound a cavern floor down to the predominant rock.  Is the way the tunnel floor just reverts to the dominant layer where it cuts through veins considered a bug or a quirk?  Either way is fine of course.  It's more than enough for us players to let our imaginations run away with.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #484 on: June 21, 2008, 11:30:36 am »

I think what you're seeing is the dirt paths, where creatures have walked and subsequently trampled down the grass, and not the actual dirt roads, which appear to look identical to the stone roads, except made of dirt.

Actually if you look at the second picture you see the main dirt road diverging into several smaller branching dirt roads that lead up to the buildings.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #485 on: June 21, 2008, 12:40:41 pm »

I can't wait for this new release! Hey! I have an idea!
You know that spore creature editor that seems to be causing a stir?
How the editor of a game, release before the game itself was, was so awesome?
I wish there was some way to do that for Dwarf Fortress, you know, releasing some kind of oh, I don't know, creature designer or tileset creator or engraving wizard or map thingy...
It is, of course, an idle dream.
But it would still be awesome if some kind of world editor was released very soon.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 21, 2008, 12:55:20 pm »

As i know Armok 1 has done some random creaturedesigns and toady had said somewhere that that might come again for DF.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 21, 2008, 12:57:41 pm »

... I wish there was some way to do that for Dwarf Fortress, you know, releasing some kind of oh, I don't know, creature designer or tileset creator or engraving wizard or map thingy...

Liberally edited I know, but.. Sean Mirrsen's Mod Base is getting awfully close to a generic creature/item raw editor.. I've yet to download it but it seems to be the best thing since notepad for editing raws :)

And  of course your 'tileset creator' is MS Paint :P

Unfortunately until engravings are less hardcoded, it's unlikely you'll see anything which edits engravings. And what kind of map thingy are you referring to? We'll get the 'world painter' soon enough :) (that is eventually :P)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 21, 2008, 04:29:43 pm »

Sean's modbase isn't editor, it's merger.

And PTTG?, we can edit engravings, items, creatures, phrases, words and such for a long time already.
It's as easy as to type "BENIGN" word.

creature designer or tileset creator or engraving wizard or map thingy...

creature designer = raw/objects/creature_***.txt
tileset creator = raw/graphics/ and data/art/
engraving wizard = raw/graphics/descriptor_shape_standard.txt
map thingy - comes in the next release.

What else do you need?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 04:31:35 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 21, 2008, 05:57:53 pm »

it's funny to read how even Toady himself got killed by GCS in today's devlog.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 21, 2008, 07:56:43 pm »

hopefully GCSs won't be common among the tunnels, otherwise your caravans and dwarven armies sent out via tunnel will get wtfpwned, enroute to their destination.

... maybe small blind corridors (IE: S turn in the passage) can lead to the chasm shelfs, and the creatures will want to 'stay in their lair' near the chasm, instead of on the road? that'd reduce the frustration of going through a one-way mountain tunnel and getting murdered each time by the now ultra-powerful named GCS.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 21, 2008, 08:53:00 pm »

I'd imagine this is why dwarven caravans would bring armed guards. Human roads have the issues of local wildlife and someday, bandits.... dwarven roads have the issues of oversized bloodthirsty arachnids. :P
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 08:54:35 pm by Lightning4 »

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 21, 2008, 09:39:56 pm »

Sean's modbase isn't editor, it's merger.

Ah yeah, I finally downloaded it and understand what it is, I plead ignorance :(

While reading Sean's description of the "Modder side" I somehow got the vision in my head that it would be an editor, it's still awesome even if it doesn't do what I originally thought it did. :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 21, 2008, 09:57:16 pm »

I killed the first Giant Cave Spider I fought... Though I got poisoned (I cannot remember if a bat killed me or he lived). I consider myself very lucky I survived given the stories I was told.

Not surprised Toady was killed however. I doubt he just leaves the cheat machine on 24/7.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 22, 2008, 04:47:48 am »

Just wondering are all tunnels unsmoothed? Cos it seems like the Tunnels between big cities should be smoothed in the same way roads are amde from stone, also would be cool if guards patrolled the biggest roads/tunnels.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 64