Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 37

Author Topic: Death and Glory!  (Read 58266 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Glory!
« Reply #255 on: April 20, 2008, 01:16:00 pm »

Gentle Elfly-like?
Whats new?   :roll:

Umies

[ April 20, 2008: Message edited by: SHAD0Wdump ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 20, 2008, 01:34:00 pm »

Okay, it's 10:00 again.  Voting's closed.

The current majority out of 2 votes is 2.  It is unanimous!  The vote says A.

-------------------------

The sun was climbing the eastern sky as Liceyi and his group crept up on the settlement.  The humans had defiled the sacred lands to build their treecorpse-huts for too long, it was time to pay them back for their foul deeds.

As the party approached, a guard on partrol looked and say the group of beasts coming, and cried out in alarm.  The unicorn out front lowered its head, the sacred horn in its head pointed outwards, and charged him.  The guard readied his crossbow and shot a bolt and the unicorn, burying the bolt deep enough into the divine guardian's chest that it vanished from view.  Dark, impossibly deep blood trickled out of the wound, painting a red gash down the creature's front.  The unicorn gave a shrill cry of pain, and stumbled slightly as its legs buckled out from underneath it.

Liceyi had known there would be casualities.  Had accepted that blood would have to pour from both sides of the battlefield in order to regrow the forest.  But no elf can experience the death of a unicorn without feeling rending sorrow in their inner core as creatures of the forest.  On this day, one of the divine protectors of the woodland had been mortally wounded.  Its blood would be repaid a hundredfold.

The guard slotted another bolt into the crossbow to deal with the rest of the party, but no single bolt can hold back the full might of nature's wrath.  The unicorn, although weak on its legs and not long for the world, continued its charge and crashed into the guard, throwing its body into the guard in a last effort at avenging the rampant desecration of the humans.

The guard convulsed, causing his crossbow to fire pointlessly into the unicorn's already-dead hoof.  Blood flowed from the wound in which the unicorn's holy spiek had embedded itself, and the red water of life painted a mirror of the unicorn's own marring on the guard's armor.

Liceyi came up to the entwined foes, and recited a short prayer in the unicorn's name.  The other animals gathered around him then, and Liceyi looked at his remaining allies.

"Attack.  Let their blood grow the grass."

And the battle for Snakesscrubs began.

They charged the main square, striking down peasants as they came.  Some fled, some stood still in shock, and others turned to fight.  All these were met with fang, claw, horn, hoof, and dreadful rage.  The unicorns trotted through the crowds, their horns dripping bright crimson as they plunged their horns into the peasants they passed on their charges.  The wolves bit and snapped at the humans, tearing away great chunks of flesh before the bear ambled his peculiar gait along and ripped the heads straight from the necks of the townsfolk.

But there were individuals within the mindless swarm of humans that proved dangerous.  A wolf's nose was broken by the kicking of one peasant, and the unicorns had already been pummeled by the humans significantly.

But the animals still held the upper hand in this attack, and the croawd was slowly dwindling as the peasants were left impaled by horns or torn ragged by snarling teeth.  

The massacre continued, and the humasn fell to the pure wild might of the attackers.  But, as is with most things in life, it was not without cost.  A second of the unicorns was dragged down by the humans and its bones bashed by their fists and feet.  Yet another item on the list of beautiful things trampled by their careless feet and senseless brutality.

The fight carried on, and Liceyi bloodied his own club with the life of the humans who struck at the unicorn.  It was only after slaying one of them that Liceyi noticed a change in the behaviour of the peasants.  They had stopped running.  

More townsfolk came rushing out to the killing fields to battle the encroaching wilderness.  Few carried anything more than the clothes on their backs, and yet they were still willing to throw themselves into the chaos of battle against far stronger foes. Liceyi had stopped fighting for long enough to attempt discerning the reason behind this unusual response.  And then a white-robed figure stepped onto the field, and all was made clear.

The zeal that had been sparked inside these makeshift warriors was impressive, and the fighting continued to rage, blood spraying onto the grass to form pools and rivers of sanguine liquid.  Still the forest warriors fought on, striking down the humans with an ease that seemed to be dwindling.

---------------*~*The dream takes on an odd quality...*~*-----------------

Liceyi just got splattered by some peasants.  The last save I have is from before they enter the village.  It's already midnight right now, so I'm going to call it quits for now and resume tomorrow.  That is, of course, if you want me to try again.  I could always just start a different character, but it somehow seems to me that Liceyi wasn't quite ready to die.

I'm invoking a split in reality until the issue is resolved.  Good night everybody.

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 20, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »

I think you should restart from the save. this guys to good to die so soon.
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 20, 2008, 06:49:00 pm »

Seconded.We don't want a repeat of the hammerer do we?

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 21, 2008, 01:33:00 am »

I agree.  Have Liceyi wake up from his dream in which that all happened, then, well I'm not sure, WWLD? (what would liceyi do?)
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 21, 2008, 01:56:00 am »

It's just a paint having to walk into town from the outskirts.  Sinc eLiceyi has yet to attack a human, he's still considered friendly.  If I tell him to go into a town, he'll show up in the town hall.  Along with all his buddies.

Eh, I'll just go with that.  I'll try to explain it away somehow.  Since Liceyi's so fast (extremely agile + elf), he has to lie down and sneak in order for the other animals to have a chance of keeping up with him while walking into town.  Having to wait for all the animals to hurry up gets very annoying.

Anyways, this time I'll keep him out of combat altogether.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 21, 2008, 04:39:00 am »

Hm. Actually, you should maybe try to acquire a decent feline companion first. They have some innate speed boosts. I suggest a panther, since it's more common to forests, or so I remember.
That is, if you did find the panther in the nonstandard creatures file...

Other than that, yeah, continue fighting the humans.

On the other hand, a visit to dark elves can yield you some great equipment, but I suppose they won't fit into the current story much. Maybe after you beat the humans...  ;)

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 21, 2008, 06:10:00 am »

Yes, I found the panther.  I briefly considered correcting the "rawr", but then decided it might mess up compatibility.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 21, 2008, 08:56:00 am »

Okay, starting him over.  Launching myself into the middle of town.  I'm a bit pissed at having all the stuff I just wrote become non-canon, so I'm just going to briefly describe the massacre of Snakesscrubs and then move on.

---------------*~*The dream takes on new clarity...*~*-----------------

Liceyi broke out of his wandering thoughts, and turned back to the task at hand.  He had infiltrated the human city and called the charge, and his warriors of the forest had taken up the call with unmatched fervor.  The defiling blood of the humans was forcibly drained from their bodies to satiate the thirsty earth, and the visages of the wild animals truned a dark red from the blood they had spilled.

This was not hunting, nor was it a territorial dispute.  This was war, and the savage strength of the animals reflected that cold fact.

There were casualties, as would be expected in any war.  But the blood of beasts was washed away by the torrent of human blood.  At least in the beginning...

The fight was towering in its brutality, but the animals soon wearied from the endless horde of defilers.  The commotion called guards to the scene, and they brought with them the devious contraptions of death that they so specialized.  The wolves were the first to fall, limping their sagging bodies away from the chaos of battle before simply lying down and succumbing to their wounds.  The unicorns were struck down by iron and fist, their eerily beautiful bodies resting in the eternally perfect stillness of death.

Only the bear remained of this first force, and even its substantial might was flagging.  Gaping wounds from bolts and arrows gave glimpses of the muscle and even bone beneath the bear's shaggy hide, and one of its legs had been grievously wounded in the assault.

Liceyi could hear more humans in the distance, attracted by the call to arms.  He understood then that so few creatures would never be enough to topple one of the human settlements, and that this party had died the instant it entered combat.

But Liceyi still lived.  He sported vicious prongs of iron in his left shoulder and wrist, but he could still walk, could still run.

The bear would give its life for the safety of the woodlands.  It would have to.  Only Liceyi boasted the power to unite the forces required to drive back the menace that threatened the forest, and for this his life was valued above all others.  Above those of the wolves, above those of the blessed unicorns, and above that of the bear.

Liceyi heard humans nearby.  He gave the bear one last parting look, a glance that conveyed the horribly silent truth that lay ahead, and then he ducked into a nearby building.  Outside, he heard the bellowing cry of the bear as it attacked, a distraction unlike the humans had ever, or ever would again, witness.  Under the cover of this final sacrifice, Liceyi escaped.  He looked back only once, only to see the great beast raised up on its hind legs and batting away at the gathering crowd of humans.  An iron bolt head appeared in the bear's midsection, and the great bear's roar turned to a shriek, then a moan, then a gurgle, and finally it fell into utter silence as the guardian crumpled to the ground.

Liceyi slipped away and disappeared into the forest.  He knew that he would need a greater force to aid him, but he also understood that assembling such a force would be more difficult, considering the horrid failure that this night had been.  He would need to establish himself as a hero in his own right before the necessary creatures would come to his aid, but he was well aware of his personal frailty.  He was no warrior, he had not the strength nor the skill to fight off the defilers by himself.  It was at this moment that Liceyi first questioned why the forest had chosen him to be its champion...  Why not someone who could fight for himself, instead of some peasantchild with a stick?  

The woods were silent in their answer.

---------------*~*The dream shifts*~*-----------------

A) Train skills ("clean")
B) Train skills (exploitative)
C) Raise companions
C1) Raise companions and attack Snakesscrubs
C2) Raise companions and attack other town
D)*__________

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2008, 09:30:00 am »

D that's partly C and A. Get a few followers and visit the "dark brethren". Stock up on some support munitions and armor. Raise skills. Retreat as necessary.
After that get a proper squad, the more the merrier, and assault that human town again. If there's any evil plain around, get some harpies for a true JAAFU.

As an alternative to just raising a squad, pretend you found a wandering tigerman and got him to join. (meaning retire, create a playnow tigerman and resume the elf)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 21, 2008, 10:32:00 am »

I'm a little leery of using metal weapons, seeing as such items are not naturally occuring in the forests, and that they require cut wood in order to make them.  Equipment upgrading isn't going to be the big thing here, skill upgrading is. Liceyi's already dodged one arrow, and he's only a competent wrestler.  With some boosted wrestling skill, agility, and shield skill for the worst cases, he'll be able to live a bit longer than his previous excursions.

We'll just ignore the fact that he grabbed the harpoons out of a guard's quiver and threw a few of them at nearby peasants, shall we?  

I've got an idea for the next character after this guy, something inspired by a few of the things I've seen in this mod.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 21, 2008, 11:32:00 am »

At any rate, if you're getting mobbed easily, you should refrain from attacking human settlements. Dark elves make easier targets than goblins - size seven, yet frail.

Also, if you're making a druid, lose the club and shield. Elves have some neat feats in their martial arsenal, so a druid-monk can be just as good at fighting. But yeah, you'll need a serious agility boost. And armor. You can get wearable graphite fiber clothing from DEs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 21, 2008, 02:05:00 pm »

Neat, sure, but not necessarily powerful.  Darkelves are better hand-to-hand fighters than normal elves (and only have a -1 damblock, as opposed to the normal elf -2.  Ouch), and there's only one really powerful attack out of fifteen.  I think I'll keep the club, at least for the time being.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 21, 2008, 02:17:00 pm »

C1 - this is important research into what makes effective animal-companions.  Wolves are obviously no use even as fodder.  Bears as expected kick righteous furry ass.  Surprised the unicorns didn't dish out more horn-justice.

More bears!  Try and get some giant cats.

In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 21, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »

My vote is for A, with quite a bit of C involved.  Try to get an army of bears, with wolves as auxiliaries (not like you could actually command them as such, but still). I agree that giant cats would be great elite troops.
All generalizations are false....including this one.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 37