Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 37

Author Topic: Death and Glory!  (Read 58264 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Glory!
« Reply #240 on: April 16, 2008, 03:17:00 am »

No action in a week?  You lot should be ashamed of yourselves...

Also, it would appear that hippos (and alligators, for that matter) are out of the question.  I can't get anything to attack me in the marshes I found, and there's no way I'm going to wander around aimlessly hoping that some "benign" critters have spawned in the area I happen to be in.  Maybe at some other point, but not now.

So, it's going to be forest or desert.  I found a desert (looks a bit mirthful, though...), but it's far to the Northeast.  Past the human cities, in fact.

In my testing, I found a couple funny things.  One thing is that Sean has a problem with his body parts in this release.  There appear to be two necks.  One I can grab onto seperately but can't lock, and one that I find through the standard locking of the head.  However, snapping that neck does not do much of anything.  Breaking his "sensitive part", however, caused him to bleed to death.

The other funny thing is that [AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE] lets you do a lot of really crazy stuff with wolves, and they won't fight back.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 16, 2008, 01:46:00 pm »

Who should be ashamed of whom? We are all here, patiently waiting for updates.

If you like, I can give you the next MA version to betatest. Just save often. REALLY often. :P

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 17, 2008, 02:58:00 am »

Nah, this version will serve its purposes just fine.  

And as for the the other matter, I left a note here in the hopes that people would continue voting while I was in Goa.  Not a single post was made since I left, and the current majority (swamp) was rendered invalid due to the fact that alligators and hippos are too lazy to come to the Mobile Wilderness Defense Recruiting Station (me).

That leaves hills/plains (wolves, some wildcats), forest (lots of wolves, bears, rare wildcats), and desert (wildcats, rare giant scorpions).  Due to their prolific nature, I have a feeling wolves are going to make up the majority of the forces, with the bigger critters serving as "elites".

Hmm....   Since all animals lack skill levels of any kind, I wonder how many of them I can recruit...

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #243 on: April 17, 2008, 06:44:00 am »

well pssh. I vote Hills then =D
DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 18, 2008, 05:48:00 am »

If you could get a giant scorpion, that would be awesome.  But for the sake of getting going, I'll vote for woods and get a bunch of wolves, and maybe a bear or two.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 18, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »

I vote go to the tropics and recruit elephants and lions.  

Maybe some fish if possible for a laugh or two.

I bet a useless reject pokemon and twenty empty +aluminum Dr. Pepper cans+ on death by child.

[ April 18, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 18, 2008, 10:00:00 pm »

Remember Kagus,your running the show,so when your ready lets see some blood.  :cool:

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 19, 2008, 01:00:00 am »

I'm ready to see what this guy can do with a few critters trailing behind him...  I'll wait until, say, ten this evening (my timezone, GMT+ 5:30).  If there's no clear majority vote by then, I'll make an executive decision for forest-recruiting.

Also, even though this place is called the divine "jungle", it's really just a temperate forest.  I'm not sure where the real jungles are...  Also, elephants are not predators, and thus do not ambush.  No-go on the pachyderm patrol.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 19, 2008, 01:10:00 am »

I say go for the forests.

Also, in addition to your legion of wildlife, how about recruiting a few of your fellow elves?

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 19, 2008, 01:15:00 am »

Wouldn't be all that interesting, since they'd just be elven peasants using their "natural weapons".  It's more interesting with the MA+ mod than it is in native, but it still doesn't match the rending of flesh that a good bear claw can provide.

Still though, if it's desired, I must comply.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 19, 2008, 01:40:00 am »

Hmmm the addition of a few elves wouldn't be all that good to me,stick with the beasts or succumb to the wrath of my minigun!

As for the vote,spread your movements about,gather a varied colaberation of creatures,and if you see a monkey GET IT!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 19, 2008, 12:26:00 pm »

Okay, it's 10:30 PM.  Voting has closed.  No clear majority is present, so I'm going to wander around the forest for a while.

It's been some time since I last tried my hand at writing, so it'll be interesting to see how things turn out.  Also, monkeys are not predators, so they won't be showing up too much.

-------------------------

Liceyi, champion of the wilds, left his home of Seedchanted and set off into the surrounding woodlands.  He would need allies in his war against the defiling races, and the animals native to this sacred forest would be more tha willing to aid him.

He did not have to search long.  From the shaded pathways of the forest, creatures came forth to join in the hunt.  Bears, wolves, and even the sacred unicorns, divine guardians of the forested realm, came to Liceyi's call.

It would be a long war, and it had hardly even begun, but Liceyi was aware that although the wild denizens of the forest knew of his status as protector, they were as yet unwilling to join him in any great numbers, fearing that his inexperience would lead to more senseless bloodshed on the already soaked roots of the Divine Jungle.

And so, with the few allies he could call upon, he set off to enact a minor skirmish upon the encroaching powers.  It would do little to hinder the ravaging of the sacred trees, but it would instill hope in all the creatures of the blessed woodlands, and valor in those who followed him.  To climb the great tree, you must first grasp the lower branches.

-------------------------

Okay, that was a thrilling update.  Trust me, I'm itching for some action, I'm not actively trying to stall.

Anyways, here's the current roster:

1 Grizzly Bear.
3 Wolves.
3 Unicorns.  They happened to be standing around in the area where the bear "ambushed" me.  Talk about luck.

Okay, so we've got darkelves and humans to the Northeast, and goblins to the North.  I don't know of any nearby dwarves.   Goblins are most likely one of the safer choices, but they can shoot down from those towers.  Same goes for darkelves, but they've got slightly weaker ranged weapons (supposedly).  Humans provide lots of peasants and few guards, and they don't have as many firing platforms.  Their main defense is mobbing, but my little party's got more claws and horns than their entire civilization.  Probably the safest choice, as mobbing is much less effective against multiple opponents.

Please note that I've added the [CAN_LEARN] tag to all my recruitable animals.  This means that they will grow stronger and more skilled from fighting, unlike "base" animals.  This will cause persistent creatures to become veeery powerful with time...  Superbearly tough?  Yes please.

A) Attack humans.
B) Attack goblins.
C) Attack darkelves.
D)*________

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 19, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »

Darkelves' ranged weapons are a sort of a gamble. They've got those semi-useful chill bolts, and the tearing darts. (minolocara - "cruel pain" they are called) The chilldarts won't do much damage, compared to elven ammo, but tearing darts tend to induce massive pain, so they won't kill you outright, but probably incapacitate.

Humans...  well yeah, they've got the mobbing, but they've also got the greatswords and arbalests. An arbalest can pin a bear to the wall, especally considering that they're firing Iron ammo, unlike the wooden (though enchanted) arrows of the elves.

Goblins are safer, more predictable. At least they don't have anything outstanding at their disposal. Except their special attack.  :D The demon/dragon/whatever's their ruling power could give you a good whack though.

So, for a nice melee with a big boss at the end, go for goblins.
For a dangerous gamble, go to the darkelves.
For a nice melee AND a good gamble against the arbalests, go to the humans.
That's my vote. Humans.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 19, 2008, 02:39:00 pm »

I say go human slaying.  Just be careful because none of yer followers will be able to go inside buildings with you.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 20, 2008, 08:58:00 am »

I can hold the door open for them.  Be all gentlemanly-like.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 37