Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37

Author Topic: Death and Glory!  (Read 58265 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Glory!
« Reply #270 on: April 21, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

Wolves seem like they're best when they get a hold of someone, meaning they're probably meat against anything that knows how to fight.  Bears are always great tanks, so you can't go wrong there.  Unicorns seem to be glass cannons, and can't take hits.  Since you can't control them, they're probably too risky to use.  I'd stick with bears and cats until you can get some skilled up enough to let you pull in some flimsier troops.

I vote A and C... ok, maybe *one* nap in a non-freezing pond (it'd make everything else faster)

EDIT- Can you recruit a Sasquatch?  Those things are pretty nasty, if you're anywhere near the tundra.

[ April 21, 2008: Message edited by: Toaster ]

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 21, 2008, 10:14:00 pm »

Well, I'm nowhere near the environment.  If this guy survives long enough to expand the reach of his crusade, then I'll be sure to pick up a couple of them in a cold environ.

A note about the critters:  the wolves still managed to take down about 4-5 people on their own, but once they get seperated from each other they're easy pickings, just like it is when you find yourself in a pack of them.  A few wolves are deadly, one wolf is just dead.

The bear lasted an incredible time, and was certainly one of my better troopers.  However, most of its prey was being held up by wolves or other distractions at the time, and so the bear was essentially getting free hits.  when it didn't have any backup, the tank tanked.

Now, th unicorns...  They were bloody amazing.  They held by far the highest kill number, and about 60% of the corpses lying around are due to them.  When you think that these guys aren't particularly tough, keep in mind that first run-through with the fringe guard.

The unicorn had a bolt shoot into its chest and destroy both lungs while it was still about four spaces away from the guard.  It kept going, and proceeded to gore the bastard to death.  The writing about "one last shove" was creative license, the unicorn stood there and poked the guy to death and was still standing after he died from having a core sample taken of his thoughts.

They only died when they had three or more peasants around them, and even then only when one of their important body parts (head, upper body, rear body) was already mangled and thus couldn't be damaged more without being destroyed.

But I haven't tried one of the big cats yet.  I'll be sure to keep an eye and a pointy ear out for them.

EDIT:  Oh, and he's already taken a quick doze in a river.  That's why he's so fast.

[ April 21, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 22, 2008, 12:51:00 am »

I vote do a little bit more recruiting and go level.  I don't know the MA mod myself but maybe some kobold(or equivalent) slaying would help with some boosting?  
Pretty easy to get kills when yer opponent is 2 sizes smaller than you and thinks that copper is "da' bomb".
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 22, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »

Okay, I've made an executive decision.  I'm going to go off and train wrestling, and I won't be bringing many companions along.  If I did, they'd just kill whatever I was working on and then move on.  It's really late here, so don't expect much in the way of writing.

Liceyi travelled to the Southwest, where he would spend the next few weeks hounding the accursed darkelves, those who had forsaken the forest and were now aiding the rest of the despoilers.

He lived on the outskirts of their settlements and their minds, striking when the tensions was right and the victims were unsuspecting.  He brought forth wolves from the forest to teach him the instinctual ways of the forest, and he became stronger and wiser for it.

His senses sharpened, his muscles tightened, and he took on an eerie speed that made several of his trained motions a blur.  The wolves had made him as wild as they were going to at this point, and Liceyi could see that they respected him as a leader more now than they had when he first called upon their aid.  They would go to spread his achievements among the rest of the forest dwellers, and he would get the woodland army of defenders that he needed.  

His army.

A) Recruit troops in forest.  (Wolves, bears)
B) Recruit troops in plains/hills.  (Wolves, wildcats)
C) Recruit troops in desert.  (Wildcats, giant scorpions)
D)*________

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 22, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »

What's the protagonist's translated name, anyway?
There's no "Liceyi" in the elven language, so it's eiher "Licesi" - blister, or "Licei" - lie.
The last name has a special symbol, so I can't see it from the raws. Variants include:
ball, beast, stray, pear, vigor - singer. Beastsinger sounds right. "Lying Beastsinger", on the other hand....

Anyways. Ye should go get some feline warriors to yer side. Be wary that "giant" cats lose their speed with the size they gained. Except the cheetah. Wolves are excellent cannon fodder though, especially since they come in packs. So get some canine "basic infantry", and then go to the deserts for the big stuff.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 22, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »

B:Go plains,if you can help it pass by some forests and hope you get ambushed by bears,need some of that muscle,scorpions sound interesting though,however don't go too far out of your way for that.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 22, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »

Definitely B, perhaps with a little bit of A to see if you can get some bears.  That is, if it isn't too far out of your way.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 22, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »

His name is Líceyi.  I got tired of copying and pasting that damned "í", and so I spell it with a standard "i" instead.  It sounded good at the time, but apparently it means "petal".

And the last name's beastsong, not beastsinger.

I'm not entirely sure where this "out of the way" thing came from.  This guy's already been wandering around quite a bit, so going that extra trek to a semi-distant land isn't that bad.  By the way, if you feel it would be okay with the rest of the story, I saved the game at a point where I'm looking right at a giant scorpion, ready for recruitment.  I don't think the tundra's going to be giving us anything interesting though, so that won't do it.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 23, 2008, 12:03:00 am »

Well then,focus on dem dere cats make sure you get enough bears for shocktroops and for the scorpions,what are the capabilities of those,tried looking them up but I either missed them or,something.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 23, 2008, 12:14:00 am »

It's a GCS without the webbing.  GDS instead of GCS (Giant Desert Scorpion, the full name).

They're the same size as giant cave spiders, have the same immunities (nostun, nopain, nofear, extravision, paralyzeimmune etc.), and they have one stinger that can poison and two pincers that can latch.  All attacks are 1:6 damage, the same as a GCS bite.

Needless to say, they're pretty damn cool.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 23, 2008, 01:11:00 am »

"Beastsong" doesn't sound as good as a title as "Beastsinger" does. The only reason we can't have the latter is because the language files don't seem to like different entries of one type for one word.

I wonder if you could make a GPS - Giant Panther Squad. Speaking of which...  I forgot to add giant panthers... :|

You can still make a Giant Eagle Squadron, but you'd need to go into the mountains for that.  :)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 23, 2008, 01:15:00 am »

Yeah, I set up giant eagles with the recruitment specs.  The only problem is that you can't use overland travel on a mountain tile, so I'd have to scour the mountains by myself, without any aid from the ambush generator.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 23, 2008, 01:34:00 am »

You could, if you find a cave or a site in the mountain. I think it'd still take quite the amount of effort.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 23, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »

Well get some GDS's too.  :roll:

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 24, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

Kagus, I can confirm that it is absolutely possible to get a giant eagle to ambush you. Just find a cave in a mountain, and start "hypertreading" it. I was ambushed by two giant eagles consecutively when I did testing for the new MA version just now.

Though they probably won't avail to much, but at least it'll be cool. Heh, airforce. Harpies are probably better in that regard.

By the way, do you think giant eagles could use a speed boost? They are flying, after all..

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37